IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

12. Fish Dude (Game Boy)

This rare GB title is a playable but shallow update of Shark! Shark! for Intellivision. The basic mechanic is OK but the actual content is kept to a bare minimum, and only took about 90 minutes of gameplay before I beat it. D+.

13. WarpSpeed (SNES)

Compared to the Genesis version (which I played first), I don't like the SNES port of this narcoleptic space shooter/sim as much. It's easier and has slightly better presentation, but weird scaling, slowdown issues, and poor control ergonomics -- using shoulder buttons as the primary fire buttons -- make it a bit less appealing. D+.

14. Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands! (Game Boy)

This sixth entry in the Crazy Castle series is really quite easy, and I'd assume it was meant mainly as a kids' game. But the block-building mechanics give it a bit more depth than NES or GB Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (the only other games I've played in the series), and a few of its 40 levels and four boss fights show flashes of cleverness. I still don't understand the point of having lifestock in a game with a per-level password system, though, especially since the password doesn't store your total remaining lives. C.

Primal Rage (so short), Shaq Fu, Pokemon Y, Pokemon FireRed, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, not sure if this one counts, I beat it at least once a month, LOVE this game.

Looking for a (working) original Xbox so I play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

22. Ys III - Genesis

This was my first time completing the Genesis version of Ys III. It's a decent port though I think I still like the SNES version better. I still haven't played the original version or the TurboGrafx-16 versions at all yet though.

23. Crusader of Centy - Genesis

This was my first time playing this one. It's kind of like Zelda in a few ways, except it focuses on recruiting animal friends that each give you a special ability rather than going after different items/weapons.

24. Fantastic Dizzy - Genesis

I've finally completed this Genesis version after already mastering both NES versions. On this run I only lost one life and it was during the climb in the final tower! This is a fun game where you look for items to use to get through areas that have things blocking your way. You have to be smart about bringing certain items with you to be as time efficient as possible as you can only carry three at a time.

Phew, that took quite some time. I cleared ~99% of Breath of Fire III (PSP) :)

That includes watching both ends, beating it twice, fishing in-game up to the highest "THE FISH" rank and clearing all 17 missions in "Fishing Mode" with gold and silver medals :)

The 1% that's missing, is unlocking two more pictures in the gallery mode, albeit I can't find any info on the net regarding how it's done...

(I just asked on Unity for help, maybe someone there can provide some more insight)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6 & Breath of Fire III

• Like 1

15. The Smurfs (Game Boy)

Very similar to the SMS version, which I beat a couple years ago and enjoyed. I think the controls in this version might be slightly better, but maybe I've just gotten used to their quirks -- and in any event that's offset by the smaller screen, which occasionally takes its toll. B.

16. Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 2 (Game Boy)

I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the other Crazy Castle games, but this has more meat on the bone -- fewer levels, but more substance -- and that helps. A few of the levels get tricky, and the final boss fight was nastier than I expected -- I was down to my last life when I finally beat that witch. B.

17. 2048 (Flash/Online)

I discovered this little Flash game last week, when xkcd made a reference to it that piqued my curiosity. I played a few times and didn't make it further than 512, but once I followed a strategy that someone suggested online -- basically, shift laterally a lot, and never shift downward unless you absolutely have to -- my results immediately improved, though it took a half-dozen tries before I finally reached 2048 today. I'm not going to give it a grade, but it's an amusing time-waster.

• Like 1

I spent most of this week playing through X-Men vs. Street Fighter (PSX) with every single character :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter

• Like 1

17. 2048 (Flash/Online)

I discovered this little Flash game last week, when xkcd made a reference to it that piqued my curiosity. I played a few times and didn't make it further than 512, but once I followed a strategy that someone suggested online -- basically, shift laterally a lot, and never shift downward unless you absolutely have to -- my results immediately improved, though it took a half-dozen tries before I finally reached 2048 today. I'm not going to give it a grade, but it's an amusing time-waster.

I checked this one out after reading your post. Spent a couple hours on it Thursday, but couldn't beat it. Came back to it today, figured out the proper strategy, and beat it in a half-a-dozen attempts. Like you say, a fun little diversion. I may try for 4096 some time.
  • Like 1

I checked this one out after reading your post. Spent a couple hours on it Thursday, but couldn't beat it. Came back to it today, figured out the proper strategy, and beat it in a half-a-dozen attempts. Like you say, a fun little diversion. I may try for 4096 some time.

Glad you enjoyed it -- if/when you make it to 4096, post a screenshot! BTW a Genesis version was recently released (the ROM is on Sega-16), and there's an Atari 2600 version in development too. The game seems to have spread like wildfire, and somehow it warms my heart that it's probably made a lot of people better at calculating powers of two (at least as far as 2^11, anyway).

God of War 2 (PS2)

It's been a few years since I played it, but I remember enjoying the first GoW quite a bit. A second time through, however, and I find the formula to have worn quite thin. The fixed camera is awful. The tunnel-vision it imposes on the experience makes everything feel exponentially more restrictive and linear than it already is. The save system sucks. I just don't have time anymore for games that don't let me save whenever and wherever I need to. And, finally, I hate QTE's. My enthusiasm for any game tends to be inversely proportional to the amount of QTE's it contains, and GoW 2 is the archetype for QTE-based gameplay. I'm sure it can be proven that GoW 2 is better-than-average, but I lost my interest in it about halfway through and had to gut out the final chapters just so I could say I finished it.

Edited by Christophero Sly

I just finished playing Mega Man Legends (PSX) including all side quests. :)

Brilliant game, I can see now why so many people got so angry about the cancellation of MML3. Definitely the best Mega Man game I've played so far! :thumbsup:

(Too bad that the Tron Bonne spin-off is so expensive nowadays, but I'm willing to get MML2 sometime soon.)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter & Mega Man Legends

18. Jurassic Park Interactive (3DO)

I enjoyed mastering the Raptor Maze levels, but otherwise this is an appallingly repetitive and pitifully meager collection of lame, sub-shareware-quality minigames and poorly conceived tech demos. The UI is a disaster, and suffers from the inexcusable flaw that you can't load from a saved game without rebooting the console! If you do so from the menu, you end up having to sit through multiple loading screens and splash screens, so I probably ended up power-cycling my 3DO fifty times or more in the course of beating Advanced mode. D-.

19. Marvel's X-Men (NES)

Beaten for the NintendoAge effort, simply because I know how to run through the game pretty quickly (after a bit of emulator practice, I had it done within two hours). I already said my piece last year, but I think I was a bit too generous and should downgrade the game by a notch. However, I was intrigued to finally learn what triggers the red text at the end of each level: beating 30+ "special" enemies. How nice when a mystery gets solved! D-.

20. Racket Attack (NES)

I want to like this tennis title, which offers a more strategic approach than most -- you can actually construct points, and the game isn't ruled by highlight-reel power shots. But you move like a cow on ice (bonus points for knowing that reference), your player randomly swings from the wrong side on too many service returns, and the basic gameplay mechanics don't quite make the grade. C-.

I beat Downfall last night (the indie point-and-click adventure).

There was a lot I liked about the game, though I don't think it was as accomplished as The Cat Lady (which would make sense, since The Cat Lady was developed after this game). It liked the morbid atmosphere and though that the primitive graphics gave the game a different feel than it would have with more state-of-the-art visuals. The game was raw in presentation and story.

This is the kind of game that makes me want to take some of my old story ideas and translate them into adventure games. You know, if I had even the meanest knowledge of game design. :)

• Like 1

Super Mario RPG

Hey, it's an RPG with a sense of humor and has dialog worth reading. I love all the little meta jokes sprinkled throughout the game.

The graphics are gorgeous and the game is long enough. If you don't bother with the side quests you should be able to win in a few days. I didn't bother with them. But they add the replay value. There are so many different things you can do. There is also a nice mix of RPG, platforming and puzzle solving.

My only gripe is that the isometric perspective makes the platforming trickier than it should be. Thank goodness there isn't too much of it. This would have been almost unplayable as a pure platformer. But as an RPG with occasional platforming elements, it's fine.

Edited by mbd30

Here's mine so far

• ET (Atari 2600)
  • 10 Yard Fight (NES)
  • Final Fantasy Legend II (Gameboy)
  • Final Fantasy (NES)
  • Bases Loaded III (NES)
  • Fatal Run (Atari 7800)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (Atari 2600)
  • Dragon Warrior II (NES)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SEGA)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (SEGA)
  • Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
  • Dragon Warrior III (NES)
  • Final Fantasy Adventure (Gameboy)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man II (NES)
  • Mega Man III (NES)
  • Mega Man IV (NES)
  • Mega Man V (NES)
  • Mega Man VI (NES)
  • Mega Man II (Gameboy)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • Mega Man IV (Gameboy)
  • Metal Gear (NES)
  • Snake's Revenge (NES)
  • Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
  • Classic NES Series: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (GBA)
  • Super Mario Advance (GBA)
  • Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)
  • Mega Man II (Gameboy)

1: Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes. This took me FOREVER, because I kept falling in crapholes (just my term for places you can in no way get out so you have to restart the mission/level/etc.), man that got annoying as hell, but found lots of secrets and ammo,

2: Assassin's Creed: Revelations. In the basic sense of completing the story mode, but now I'm in "Master Quest" mode, trying to obtain all weapons, armor, dyes, upgrades, faction challenges, etc.

3: Pokemon Red. Though I do admit to cheating late game, using the Missingno after reaching Cinnibar Island to boost my item stock of Rare Candies and Master Balls, but I replayed it the "fair" way afterwards,

Working on beating Super Metroid, but I'm not very good at this game, first time in my life I've played this title, so that must count for something, :P