IGNORED

KC Munchkin

Jaynz

I just realized what is going on with the dots:

First, some background; there is a frame delay which affects when *every* sprite moves: player, monsters, and dots. This delay gets less as the game progresses each level, speeding the sprites up in later levels. This actually also affects the dots. The program moves through the list of dots, and one dot is moved at the same rate as the other sprites. This is why the dots are so slow moving at the beginning of the board, and why the last dot is always the same speed as the other sprites (there are no other dots to move, so it constantly moves the same dot at the same interval as the other sprites).

I've implemented this and it looks good. :)

Being that I already had the dot -> maze collision detection working, I was working on the dot -> dot collision detection, and used the column / zone equal technique instead of bounding box and that seems to be ok.

I've also implemented the 'End-Of-Level' animation.

To do:

- Monster movement (there seems to be some randomization in the movement, and they don't seem to have separate AI from each other)

- Player collision detection w/ monsters

- Blue monster handling (i.e. back to center, etc.)

- Sound

- Revamp maze generation (it's currently hard-coded), and see about building your own maze.

Bob

• Like 3

Using something similar to 'Clyde's AI from Super PacMan will probably take care of your monster movement. They're random and don't really seek the player.

Hey Jaynz...

I don't think they are completely random, only for the fact if I go to a specific corner, they 'roundabout' follow me, even if it's just the general area I'm in. I think they do have some random movements, but they do track the player somewhat.

I have the first 'draft' of the monster movement down, and when they are blue they 'randomly' run away from you in the same fashon that they chase you when normal. The only thing left is the regenration. I also have all collision detection done.

But the game is too quiet... I need to add some sound soon. :)

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3

Maze Editor Thoughts

The maze editor, in the original, has a fairly simple design to it . You use the keypad to enter in the coordinates you want to change. The vertical is labelled A-G, with the horizontal labelled 1-9. Toggling the walls depends on the order you hit the coordinate. If you hit A-1, for instance, you flip the vertical walls in that cell. If you hit 1-A, however, you flip the horizontal ones. You can also hit a key to randomize the whole maze for you.

This is why I recommended using the numeric keypad in the second slot. The 1-9 keys will work basically the same, but the difference will be in the 0, #, and * keys. A-9-#, for instance, would toggle the vertical walls, while A-9-* would toggle the horizontal ones. 0 could be reserved for 'save this maze' , with the fire buttons on Joy1 used for randomizing and exiting.

Yay! A few minutes of quick fun! Only two thoughts at the moment:

1) Monsters could stand a little more randomization, I had them sticking together a lot initially.
2) KC's color's aren't quite complimentary. The dark green 'shade' color is a bit off for being 'dark teal'.

You use the keypad to enter in the coordinates you want to change. The vertical is labelled A-G, with the horizontal labelled 1-9.

I like the idea of the keypad. More O2 feeling..

But I know a lot of people probably (I "know" "probably"??? That's just Internet Speak for "I'm going to make something up") don't have a keypad..

Wondering if it might be better (more universal) to use the joystick to select the spot in the maze, and then a button to toggle it???

The other benefit is, of course, that I can still lay claim to the Odyssey 2's superiority because of a full keyboard when I post about him!!

Bwahahahaha.. ..er sorry.. ;-)

desiv

I like the idea of the keypad. More O2 feeling..

But I know a lot of people probably (I "know" "probably"??? That's just Internet Speak for "I'm going to make something up") don't have a keypad..

I don't know. Since this is going largely to more hard-core Atari fans (face it, that's who we are), I wouldn't think this is too much of a burden on us. I got mine for $5 with Star Raiders, and they still seem to be fairly common.

Wondering if it might be better (more universal) to use the joystick to select the spot in the maze, and then a button to toggle it???

Might have to do that with the high-score entry. The issues with the keypad are the options for saving to HSC, exiting out, and randomizing the whole thing. Pain in bootie, and not sure how the best way to go about it with only the two buttons would be.

The other benefit is, of course, that I can still lay claim to the Odyssey 2's superiority because of a full keyboard when I post about him!!

Bwahahahaha.. ..er sorry.. ;-)

Yeah... :P

Thanks, Jaynz!

Increased the random factor in the monster's movement. As far as the colors, I'm using $A7 for the AQUA color, and $A2 for the dark AQUA, and they seem ok - what palette are you using?

Prosystem default. I know there are a couple of issues with it, but the green vs. aqua is unusually jarring. I haven't run into anything that sharp with anything else. :S

Let's see.. I had another thought. The Odd2 version of the game doesn't cycle mazes as you go - it plays the same one, same difficulty, over and over again. You change your maze with the game select screen. That's something that should probably change with this version, cycling through the official mazes as you go - just to keep it fresh.

Let's see.. I had another thought. The Odd2 version of the game doesn't cycle mazes as you go - it plays the same one, same difficulty, over and over again. You change your maze with the game select screen. That's something that should probably change with this version, cycling through the official mazes as you go - just to keep it fresh.

Damn. I was going to surprise you with that. Great minds... ;)

However I do like the idea of keeping the joystick as the main control, even for the maze editor. The button toggles through the selection.

I was going to make the select screen:

Maze: 1, 2, 3, or 4, 'R' for 'random' (not like the O2, but it randomly picks one of the four mazes each level), and 'C' for 'create your own'.

Also, I was not going to use the HSC for this game - I was going to keep it the same as the O2, where the person (upon beating the high score) enters their name at the bottom.

What do you think?

Edited by PacManPlus

However I do like the idea of keeping the joystick as the main control, even for the maze editor. The button toggles through the selection.

The issue is having a control that basically 'save to play', 'exit to menu', and 'random maze' as well as the toggle. I couldn't come up with an elegant solution with the 2 buttons, unfortunately.

I was going to make the select screen:

Maze: 1, 2, 3, or 4, 'R' for 'random' (not like the O2, but it randomly picks one of the four mazes each level), and 'C' for 'create your own'.

Future thinking, may want to leave room for Crazy Chase in the menu. It has a similar maze/maze editor structure, too. Otherwise that makes sense. Not entirely sure how to ramp up the difficulty for 'higher levels', like a typical 'classic game'... the monsters are pretty quick as is, just not bright.

Also, I was not going to use the HSC for this game - I was going to keep it the same as the O2, where the person (upon beating the high score) enters their name at the bottom.

Hmm... that makes sense, but I think that saving the score and loading it if the HSC exists should be looked into. (I know, I know.. the whole debacle, but if it isn't a big deal it implement, it makes sense to be there.) It also allows for a custom maze save slot.

Anyway, thoughts ahoy. I'm amazed by how quickly you're knocking these steps out!

Prosystem default. I know there are a couple of issues with it, but the green vs. aqua is unusually jarring. I haven't run into anything that sharp with anything else. :S

$A1-$A4 are some of the 'off-points' with the ProSystem default palette.

Left is Prosystem default, right is a proper color scale for the 7800 displaying a 26.7 degrees phase shift

[~26.2 or 26.7 degrees phase shift best exemplifies the documented intended color order/structure for the system].

post-18-0-92330100-1395714240_thumb.png

Or you can see various "warmer" (i.e. 27.7 degrees) or "cooler" (i.e. 25.7 degrees) system palettes shown here.

Download a robust set of palettes and option explanations for the ProSystem emulator here.

• Like 3

The issue is having a control that basically 'save to play', 'exit to menu', and 'random maze' as well as the toggle. I couldn't come up with an elegant solution with the 2 buttons, unfortunately.

Why not make button 2 bring up a menu where you can choose these options? Might work.

Hi Marc

Just an idea ;)

greetings Walter

Yep. It wasn't meant to critisize you, It's just to remind people that game development takes time and is mostly done in the dev's free time. Sure I would love to get the game 5 days after the anouncement that someone has started a new project but most of the time it doesn't work that way and I think it puts quite a bit of preassure on the dev.

Thanks, Walter, Marc - we will see where this goes ;) I may just do the 'Munchkin' part and leave the 'Crazy Chase' part to Jaynz (mostly because I've never played it)... if he's ok with that.

Is the collision detection supposed to be so sensitive? I've never played to O2 version.

Yeah, it's basically an overlapping pixel on the screen. I may make it more relaxed because that was the one thing that annoyed me about that game. :)