IGNORED

7800 plays 2600 Games, Not 7800 Games?

Jagosaurus

Hey guys, I'm expanding my Atari love from the Jaguar & picked up a 7800. It plays 2600 games fine but seems to get stuck on the boot screen of 7800 titles. Am I missing something easy here? Looked for switches on console, cleaned carts... no luck.

2600 Missile Command running:IMG_20140103_010538_843_zps65bc4424.jpg

7800 Ms Pac Man hung up on boot screen: IMG_20140103_010437_894_zps10b48131.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

... also it feels like my 2600 Miner 2049er cart doesn't "fit." Just me being overly cautious?

I don't think so Mitch. They're the normal looking grey labels & got this lot locally from an older lady who was original owner.

I'm running the video out through a composite cable to RCA/phono to coax adapter... shouldn't matter regarding signal, right? Esp bc it runs the 2600 titles fine.

Edited by Jagosaurus

Sounds like your 7800 cart is either dirty or broken. The Miner cart is a typical problem, search the forums for Tigervision and 7800.

Hm, I cleaned and tested 3 7800 carts. I'm going to try again tonight on my CRT. Perhaps my LCD didn't like the signal... ?

Thanks, I'll dig into Tigervision cart issue.

Might be a bad RAM chip. 2600 mode can't see the internal RAM, or use Maria functionality. But a working display indicates Maria at least working to that extent, plus it's responsible for the CPU clocking and 2600 working confirms that should be OK too.

Could also be bad BIOS chip, fairly sure it does the 7800 startup screen - someone else could confirm that. But my bet would be on the RAM.

Could also be bad BIOS chip, fairly sure it does the 7800 startup screen - someone else could confirm that. But my bet would be on the RAM.

Correct; the NTSC BIOS does the 7800 startup screen shown above (It also runs the encryption check for placing the system in 7800 mode). Those with a modified system BIOS (i.e. Euro mod with built in Asteroids), do not see the startup screen.

Thanks guys. I was hoping it wasn't an internal hardware issue :/

One of the mods over at Racketboy brought up a good point... cleaning the actual cart slot itself. How do you all do this?

For the Genesis I would also fold a sturdy index card, dip lightly in alcohol, then use it to clean connection pins. Idea for 7800 cleaning?

Thanks guys. I was hoping it wasn't an internal hardware issue :/

One of the mods over at Racketboy brought up a good point... cleaning the actual cart slot itself. How do you all do this?

For the Genesis I would also fold a sturdy index card, dip lightly in alcohol, then use it to clean connection pins. Idea for 7800 cleaning?

I'm so accustomed to cleaning cart and slot that I figured you'd already do both. Leave it to Hobie to make specific mention of it. How'd the results come out?

Man, cleaned the pins really well, no luck. Used the method some here on AA recommended (thin nail file, wrapped in thin cloth, dipped in alcohol). The system is clean & outputs a very crisp 2600 signal. After cleaning pins & my three 7800 carts, it yells me it is hardware related. The BIOS starts up as I mentioned also... looks like I have 2600 shaped like a 7800

What's a good price for 7800 console stand alone? They're looking a bit pricey on eBay.

• 4 weeks later...

check the pins on the connector specifically that the 7800 uses to make sure they are

making contact with the game pcb. If they are bent or dirty this could be your simple

and easy to fix answer.

Can any point me to a diagram of which pins on the console the 7800 & 2600 titles use? I want to take a closer look. Hopefully it's the pins.

Any 1 else have that green marker on their RF shield... makes me think it was repaired & signed off on.