IGNORED

Art of Atari - book in progress and need help

lapetino

Three cheers for this idea!!! Are there any updates to report? Is there a Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or tipjar somewhere that I can contribute to? Is there a pre-order list I can get on? Are you accepting deposits? A book like this is long overdue. Atari's art history and graphic design language are important and integral parts of the Atari experience, and they deserve to be preserved and appreciated.

Thanks so much for the support and encouragement, as well as all your great posts. Cliff is a friend, so I've gotten a chance to see a lot of his awesome stuff as well.

No updates yet. If you missed it earlier, we have a list we're building for those interested: http://artofstella.launchrock.com/

Thanks, all.

Hello, I apologize if this is all ready brought up but I registered my account yesterday so I may be late on the subject.

Do you have or need the Atari catalogs?

Have you been provided the Atari Advantage poster from the 7800 days?

Welcome to AA!

I think we are set on the Atari catalogs and that poster -- thanks for checking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, any news about the book? :)

Progress being made on some fronts, but not much I can talk about officially yet. Atari didn't like the licensing side of what we were proposing, but we still have some ways to put this book together without their licensing/ overt participation. Because of that, the overall style of book is shifting a little bit, but for now that seems to be a good thing, as it has opened up possibilities with another publisher we're talking to. But plans are still for it to be an informative, beautiful art book with lots of in depth info on the topic.

That's a little cryptic, but I'll share more soon. Thanks, everyone, for the support.

And Eyeball Mural, I owe you some messages. Sorry! Trying to dig myself out of a hole after a busy business trip.

• 1 month later...

This post doesn't exactly fit here, but it is Atari art-related so I thought this would be the best place to put it. This is about modern Atari art based on classic coin-ops, but still mostly relevant to this thread.

Atari Jackpots (atarijackpots.com) has a slot machine section branded with classic Atari arcade game stylings. The reel symbols on these slots are new interpretations of classic art (with seemingly some new designs thrown in), so I know Atari art fans will enjoy seeing these designs. I compiled all the symbols into one sheet. These pix are a little ratty since they are from browser screencaps but they're still fun to look at. In-game these symbols will sometimes animate.

post-38578-0-72861700-1415119386_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just dropping in for a *bump* and some public encouragement for the folks at Atari to get behind this project, and continued best wishes for all those involved in making it happen.

Thanks for the bump, EM.

The update is that we are still working on the book, and have begun proposal stage and talks with a different publisher. This is probably on a longer timeline, by virtue of the publishing cycle in this area, but I will keep everyone posted.

Appreciate the interest. We are working to do something awesome here, and this actually will spin off into something else (see my signature line) that we are working on as well. I'm not quite ready to talk tons about it, but it's coming! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the bump, EM.

The update is that we are still working on the book, and have begun proposal stage and talks with a different publisher. This is probably on a longer timeline, by virtue of the publishing cycle in this area, but I will keep everyone posted.

Appreciate the interest. We are working to do something awesome here, and this actually will spin off into something else (see my signature line) that we are working on as well. I'm not quite ready to talk tons about it, but it's coming! :)

Thanks for the update! Sounds like a bigger egg is being hatched! Good things take time, you've got my support, no matter how long it takes. Don't mean to hijack your thread, this just seems lke the best place to talk art-related stuff. Serves a dual purpose since it keeps your publishing efforts churned to the top. Of course, if this new project of yours blossoms that will deserve a whole new thread :grin:

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the bump, EM.

Hi Lapetino,

Just curious to check in and see if there's been any progress made on the publisher front (if you can discuss it)?

I'm really looking forward to the "Art of Atari" book... are you any closer to being able to give us an official release date? ;-)

Thanks!

Hey, Skarro.

Thanks for the check-in. Things are moving slowly but surely with the potential publisher I mentioned in Nov. Still can't talk about it since nothing is final, but everybody is feeling good about it as we go into the official proposal part of the process. Not much more to say, but we are making progress. Will definitely keep you guys updated -- with a publisher vs self-publishing, the timeline is a bit longer, but I'm fine with that. Want to do this right. :)

More on this as soon as I can talk about it.

• Like 1

This is actually something I have wanted to see for quite awhile. I remember searching Amazon for books on Atari and retro videogame art to no avail and wondering why the heck somebody hasn't published a compendium. Well... here's to you! I'll definitely purchase a copy.

This is actually something I have wanted to see for quite awhile. I remember searching Amazon for books on Atari and retro videogame art to no avail and wondering why the heck somebody hasn't published a compendium. Well... here's to you! I'll definitely purchase a copy.

Thanks, Tron Unit. Feel free to sign up on our list for full future updates. I'll be posting here, of course, but that is a more direct route.