IGNORED

Reckless Wizard (original game)

hardhat

I've been working on a new game for ColecoVision/Coleco Adam off and on for about two years now. I think it'll be good when it is done. When will it be done? Well, if you're asking me for a prediction, I would have said January 2013. Clearly I missed that date by a country mile. But still I've made a fair amount of progress in August. And I made some progress in December as well. Kiwi looked at my work in August and he provided me some amazing new art. I really love it. Here is a bit of a preview of my progress.

Rich DiRocco challenged me to make a game that uses the numeric keypad more. So I made a game where you can equip spells in the slots on the numeric keypad, as seen on the right in the screenshots.

It is a map based game, with 128 screens. In the map there are 3 castles, a river and a cave system. As you travel around you battle guards, other wizards, wolves in the forest or wumpuses in the caves. To help you along the way there is a hag, a shop keeper and bridge keeper goat as well as the first mage of each castle.

Your goal is to gather the nine crystal fragments to reunite them on the sacred alter, and unleash the dragon. That would make you a dragon master, who can unite the three kingdoms of Thundera, Fiera and Freeiza. I actually have a second mission worked out, but at this point I don't think I can fit both into one cart, and I'm not ready to go the mega cart route yet. So probably I'll end up making a sequel with some enhanced features and the new map.

Here are some screenshots:

post-16511-0-32173900-1389564801_thumb.pngpost-16511-0-76244600-1389564810_thumb.pngpost-16511-0-47973700-1389564811_thumb.pngpost-16511-0-23234200-1389564812_thumb.pngpost-16511-0-89298200-1389564812_thumb.pngpost-16511-0-58484000-1389564813_thumb.pngpost-16511-0-24425400-1389564814_thumb.png

I will work on a video, but the last one I made in BlueMSX I didn't really like.

• Like 17

Very cool - really like the look of this game. BTW - you need to change the copyright year on the title screen :grin:

Hmm...well maybe. But I guess the game isn't done yet. I'm likely to do that when I finish. Certainly I'd like 2014 to be the year that I finish.

The newest graphics look nice, and after seing the early build of this game a couple of AdamCons ago, I can say that there is much promise there.

I have just one small request: Please improve the appearance of the player's character (i.e. the wizard). There should be different frames of standing and walking animation for each direction (north, south, east, west). I believe this would greatly improve the look and feel of the gameplay.

Just my two cents. :)

• Like 1

Question: Will it use MegaCart or 32K pcb ?

Still using a 32k PCB. I'm not ready for the mega cart but maybe I'll try it for my next project. Harvey was talking to me about the lord of dungeon's PCB which allows for game saves, but I don't think that'll be needed for this project either. Plus I like to see what all I can squeeze into 32k. But I may do a mega cart in the future.

The newest graphics look nice, and after seing the early build of this game a couple of AdamCons ago, I can say that there is much promise there.

I have just one small request: Please improve the appearance of the player's character (i.e. the wizard). There should be different frames of standing and walking animation for each direction (north, south, east, west). I believe this would greatly improve the look and feel of the gameplay.

Just my two cents. :)

The main character sprites are next on the list of things to improve graphically. Kiwi had just 3 or 4 tiles he is still working on for the map.

Pretty cool!

I would suggest you keep working in main core features and base story.

Later you can improve graphics.

A simple way to use Megacart is to keep 32K code and use everything else for graphics in alternate pages that you switch in inside NMI interrupt.

Also to contain level/graphics data, this way the game can be amazingly big ;), you can switch only to load tiles and map.

My suggestion is to use a whole 16K for wizard animation, like walking, doing magic, fighting, even scratching his head when he is quiet :), besides you can use two sprites, one black and one color, so you can make it very detailed.

• Like 1

Pretty cool!

I would suggest you keep working in main core features and base story.

Later you can improve graphics.

A simple way to use Megacart is to keep 32K code and use everything else for graphics in alternate pages that you switch in inside NMI interrupt.

Also to contain level/graphics data, this way the game can be amazingly big ;), you can switch only to load tiles and map.

My suggestion is to use a whole 16K for wizard animation, like walking, doing magic, fighting, even scratching his head when he is quiet :), besides you can use two sprites, one black and one color, so you can make it very detailed.

Well switching banks in the NMI sounds like a fun way to do it. I will definitely look into that in the future. One of my future projects may be a DDR dancing game and keeping all of the songs in various banks will be needed, so I will use that trick for a project like that. But for this project I want to stick to my usual methods which is a 32k PCB.

Amazingly big does not sound promising to me. I'd like to finish the game so that I can release it. You notice that although it is an action RPG type game, I did not say the RPG bad word for that is the classic trap of the "programmer's incomplete RPG". I would content that most games programmers have various games released and at least one incomplete RPG. That being said I did do an open source RPG as a PSP homebrew called "Hardhat's Battle Arena".

Hmm...16k of animation for the wizard himself? You do know that there's only 2k in the sprite table. It sounds to me like overkill to do that much. Although about 2 minutes into that video you'll see that I've been known to do particle effects at times in the past.

Well there are two basic reasons that I didn't do really nice sprites yet. First is that I wanted to recruit someone to work on the art. And the second reason is that I wanted to make the game play work well as my priority. Right now you can run around the map. Collect items. Interact with people that you meet. Be killed by lightning mages. Kill wolves, wumpuses and guards. Open cave doors, burned out bushes. And go through doors if you have the right key (doors are magic proofed, naturally). So the game system is working pretty well. You can talk to people and exchange items for other items.

I need to up the difficulty on the enemies. The shop is still incomplete. For now all spells are auto equipped. So there are things to complete. If it goes well I will be done sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Hmm...16k of animation for the wizard himself? You do know that there's only 2k in the sprite table. It sounds to me like overkill to do that much. Although about 2 minutes into that video you'll see that I've been known to do particle effects at times in the past.

In all my games I use redefinition of player pattern, I always use a fixed sprite number and the redefinition is done inside NMI (64 bytes for Zombie Near and Princess Quest and 128 bytes for Mecha-8)

This way you can far improve VDP capabilites ;)

The good thing is you aren't worried by graphics, the core engine is more important. You should have seen the terrible ugly graphics that Princess Quest had in early development phases.

BTW, I still have to start a RPG game in order to have an incomplete RPG game :D

In all my games I use redefinition of player pattern, I always use a fixed sprite number and the redefinition is done inside NMI (64 bytes for Zombie Near and Princess Quest and 128 bytes for Mecha- 8)

This way you can far improve VDP capabilites ;)

The good thing is you aren't worried by graphics, the core engine is more important. You should have seen the terrible ugly graphics that Princess Quest had in early development phases.

BTW, I still have to start a RPG game in order to have an incomplete RPG game :D

In the way of explodiing foot , i uses (if i'm remember well) 166 different sprites patterns (16x16) (so 5312 bytes in theory ...in practice half in ROM , because they are flipped on "fly" for the second player)

• Like 1

I'm really happy you love the graphics. I had a great time making them for you. The cave graphics was pretty difficult since the Colecovision doesn't provide enough shades of gray so blue is a good pick due to the coldness and also bring more colors on screen. The cavewall was inspired by Lagoon for the SNES. That game has very good cave tile graphics.

• Like 2