IGNORED

A couple of XB1 questions

Mendon

I've explored the system quite a bit but two things I find are still confusing me:

1) Where do you actually find the controller charge indicator? I have seen it pop up a couple times (don't know what I did to have it do so) but when I actually go to look for it to see what the battery level is, I can't find it.

2) Where do I find the contents of the hard drive and how much space I have left? On the 360, I just went into "Memory" and I could find contents, space, and delete/move items. But I have not found this option anywhere on the XB1. If I highlight a program/app, I can hit OPTIONS to delete it but that's it.

Maybe I'm set in my ways and resistant to change, but I really prefer the 360 environment to the XB1 environment.

1) I have yet to see a battery life indicator on my XB1. Stupid omission by Microsoft. I hope it is changed soon. Battery life is quite good though. We easily get a week of daily play out of a set of rechargeable AAs.

2) You can't see the hard drive space remaining. I remember reading an article where the author filled the hard drive to see how many games it would hold and he had to guess based on the game sizes what the useable capacity of the HDD is. Another stupid omission.

I agree with you in preferring the 360 UI to the XB1. I can live with the XB1 UI for now, but often I am asking why Microsoft just didn't keep the 360 UI and make it better.

I'm fine with the XB1 UI, but I'm not happy about the omissions mentioned above (and not just those!). The battery life of the controller is good, but there's not even as much as a warning when the battery runs low. I had the controller go out on me in a ranked online match as a result, and I ended up losing. The hard drive space thing is really annoying as well, I don't understand why that wouldn't have been a stock option. I'd definitely like to know how much space I have left, especially when disc based games have to be installed prior to playing. That's a lot of space being eaten up by every disc I put in my drive.

The Xbox One was released unfinished if you ask me. Maybe it was because of the last minute omission of the "always on" policy.

The Xbox 360 does so much more and has so many more features (battery life indicator just being the tip of the iceberg)

MS would have been better off waiting a few months till the One was at least on par with the last console they released.

Seems odd to tout a piece of hardware as being your entertainment hub, and then releasing something that doesn't even do half of what the predecessor does. Step backwards is how I'd describe this gen so far.

The graphics are sweet though.

• Like 1

Microsoft said they are going to update the dashboard and add some requested features and make a few options easier to find. But ya, it is a work in progress. I think the original plan was to release the XB1 in 2014, but once they found out when the PS4 was launching, they bumped up their timeline. Considering the rushed feel of both the PS4 and XB1 launch line-ups, both consoles feel rushed.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can verify the recent update does in fact give you a batter life indicator and HDD space indicator. It also makes it easier to manage what is actually on the HDD.

Other than that there are supposedly a few other fixes but no mention of any voice command improvements. Though I have noticed it does seem to respond better to me for what its worth.

EDIT:

Here's a breakdown of what all is supposedly included in the update.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-february-update-rolls-out-adds-battery-power-indicator-improves-storage-space-management/1100-6417783/

Edited by Robocop2