IGNORED

Road Hunter

Asmusr

Looks like lots of fun, I just loaded it up on my TI via the HDX and it works GREAT! I'm gonna go play for 1/2 hour now before I have to go to work.

THANKS FOR YET ANOTHER PROGRAM FOR THE TI! RASMUS RULES!

P.S. It seems to run okay in Classic99 on my laptop << HERE >> is a WMV video of the play. It seems fine to me.

Plays great on the real thing.. :)

Greg

That's a nice update... now the problem's gone that you can't make a track because there are too frew fuel cans coming up. Still I've got some suggestions for improvements:

- Eliminating the cars could be worth different values depending on the color of the car

- Do you have extra lives implemented?

- At the end of the round, give a bonus depending on how much fuel you've got left

- Sometimes the enemy cars collide with each other, but it doesn't seem to matter. Solution: each time a new car enters the road, try to find a lane where it won't collide with other cars.

- Introduce more game elements in later rounds, e.g. no oil slicks in the first round, but starting with the second one.

- It would be nice to know how many bullets you have left before the gun you picked up disappears, oh, and which round you're in. (Is there any difference between the tracks yet at all?)

... I've got some suggestions for improvements:

I never want to get in the way of an artist or his masterpiece, and I love it the way it is, but if he makes any improvements I'll probably like them too. Now admittedly, my playing sucks, so if he implemented a bonus car every 4,000 or 5,000 points, this old geezer would like that too.

As I never really played Road Fighter and Spy Hunter much, I thought it reminded me a lot of the arcade game "Bump'n'Jump"

So along those lines maybe the ability to jump as well as the odd missing piece of road could be a nice addition.

Obviously if that isn't the intention here then just ignore that.

EDIT. Might have just found a bug, I hit a oil slick just after a crash, and the car just sat there spinning in an endless loop, even after the fuel ran out.

Edited by Imperious
  • Like 1

For the attention of Rasmus"KIller ap"M.

Just wondering about something from your initial post-where you mentioned expanding the theme tune, I am kind of 50/50 at the moment with regards to the tune, it may be better to drop the tune and just expand the game sounds,eg-continuous engine noises where the speed of the car alters the pitch of the engine etc. I also think it would also take the game that bit further away from spy hunter.

But-I digress, It is your baby and it is already a winner.

For the attention of Rasmus"KIller ap"M.

Just wondering about something from your initial post-where you mentioned expanding the theme tune, I am kind of 50/50 at the moment with regards to the tune, it may be better to drop the tune and just expand the game sounds,eg-continuous engine noises where the speed of the car alters the pitch of the engine etc. I also think it would also take the game that bit further away from spy hunter.

But-I digress, It is your baby and it is already a winner.

I would like to keep the music because I think it's rare with in-game music on the TI. A good motor sound would have to be made using variable frequency periodic noise, I think, so that would occupy the noise generator. If anyone has an idea for a catchy tune that would work in two channels (perhaps something boogie-woogie style) let me know.

Here is a demo of my new game Road Hunter. As the name indicates it is a racing game borrowing ideas from both Road Fighter and Spy Hunter, but it's not supposed to be a remake of any of those games. The screen is scrolling smoothly at 2 or 4 pixels per frame at 60 FPS in ordinary graphics mode. The alternative would have been to scroll 8 pixels per frame in bitmap mode (as on the MSX), but I decided to sacrifice more colors for smoothness. This is running 100% on the old hardware and is not even aware of the F18A.

attachicon.gifscreenshot.png

The game is about earning points by bumping or shooting the other cars off the road, while avoiding crashing and running out of fuel. The demo allows you to play a full level/track more or less as I imagine the finished game. There are still some tiles left for improving the graphics, and the current music score (borrowed from Spy Hunter) will need to be expanded or it will drive you mad after a while. I'm also planning more levels, of course, and perhaps other items on the road to pick up or avoid.

If you need to run this under emulation I suggest to use MESS because it is not running as smoothly on Classic99 - at least not on my computer. Run E/A#3: RH.

I have not created a YouTube video because it would not be able to capture the speed and smoothness of the scrolling.

Enjoy!

January 24: New version with 'lives', oil pools, and shadows.

could you please make this ea5? i cannot load it. :sad:

I have uploaded a new version to the first post with the following changes:

• XB loader for the Sissy
  • 2nd track (water/beach) with a more narrow road
  • Extended music. I decided to keep the Peter Gunn theme, but have extended it free style
  • Bonus for fuel left when a level is completed

There is currently no other difference between the levels than the tracks. After track two you return to track one. I'm planning on adding two more tracks: a winter/snow track and a night track.

• Like 5

I have uploaded a new version to the first post with the following changes:

I like improvements, but since the levels are separate files now, I had to use the sector editor to get it to work without DSK1. I also had to tweak the file names a tad so they would not interfere with MAP1 and MAP2 of Titanium. Both of those programs files need to reside in the root of my HDX's FIAD directory.

I like improvements, but since the levels are separate files now, I had to use the sector editor to get it to work without DSK1. I also had to tweak the file names a tad so they would not interfere with MAP1 and MAP2 of Titanium. Both of those programs files need to reside in the root of my HDX's FIAD directory.

Funny how disk access always causes problems. This should work on any disk, but only in the root directory. I have used the same boot tracking code as in Titanium. I have also renamed the map files.

You will also notice I have added some drums.The trick was not to let them interfere with the explosions. I think it works pretty well...

roadhunt4.zip

Funny how disk access always causes problems. This should work on any disk, but only in the root directory. I have used the same boot tracking code as in Titanium. I have also renamed the map files.

You will also notice I have added some drums.The trick was not to let them interfere with the explosions. I think it works pretty well...

Rasmus,

sml_gallery_35324_1027_14942.jpg IT'S PERFECT!!

The program itself runs okay from a sub-directory, only the map files need to be in the root. So that saves on a little clutter. --- THANKS!