IGNORED

Road Hunter

Asmusr

Why commercial?

It's just nice to have quality homebrews with a box and manual so they can sit on the shelf along with the quality titles from when the platform was commercially relevant. It's also a way to support the developer, publisher, and platform in a higher profile way.

What about a commercial-style release? It does not have to involve Rasmus (or any other developer,) just someone willing to put the time into making a commercial-style product from which there will be a break-even.

Take it for what it is and don't kill the golden goose. I hope your statement doesn't mean what it reads like.

Take it for what it is and don't kill the golden goose. I hope your statement doesn't mean what it reads like.

Maybe, maybe not.** There are two sides to the coin: a developer who creates something just for the fun or the love of doing it, or both; and the fan so taken by the creation that he or she desires to give a monetary token of appreciation. I find neither offensive.

I mean a developer could authorize someone to a limited production of commercial-looking packaging for the game. That person would assume all costs associated with doing so on a material and labor break-even. That way no one makes undue profits.

Of course, given the wishes of a developer the topic becomes moot upon demand. Rasmus has rejected a commercial release, and we must respect that position.

If I had the time I would make that offer to a developer. I just do not have the time. But tonight I spent a few minutes (well, almost half-hour, really, fighting with HP's idea of scaling versus reality) to make a mock-up of Mr. Chin. Fake or otherwise, it looks pretty cool.

** Actually, I think I see what you thought I meant: I most certainly did not mean to do a release without permission of the developer.

post-27864-0-19798800-1394080712_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i guess you wasted your time it 's being replaced already

ohhh yes... :) well, it's different manual :) ...Kevan helping me with the English Language :)

i completed already the ones for TI-Scrabble (almost done just latest "errata corrige") and Titanium (at 40%) ;)

i like to have nice manuals with my games as i done for mine Pitfall some months ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2poy6pry83im2xj/6lUfKdxI4_

Edited by ti99userclub
  • Like 1

What about a commercial-style release? It does not have to involve Rasmus (or any other developer,) just someone willing to put the time into making a commercial-style product from which there will be a break-even.

I think this model might work if someone is willing to invest the time. I don't care much about boxes and manuals myself, but I know they are important to many of you. Send me a private message if you have a proposal. I would find a cartridge release much preferable to a floppy disk release (especially since I don't own a PEB :)), but I guess the latter would be much easier and cheaper to produce and distribute.

• Like 1

it's my idea for the manual's cover.

attachicon.gifManual Cover Blue preview - Blu.jpg

rest of the manual ready at 70%... it's have pages in original TI Style...

you like ?

As much as I like this cover-and is does look authentic, what were you thinking of Ciro?, this would have been the perfect opportunity to get a nice shiny Alfa C4 on the cover!!!

• Like 1

I think this model might work if someone is willing to invest the time. I don't care much about boxes and manuals myself, but I know they are important to many of you. Send me a private message if you have a proposal. I would find a cartridge release much preferable to a floppy disk release (especially since I don't own a PEB :)), but I guess the latter would be much easier and cheaper to produce and distribute.

I would prefer cartridge releases as well (and I will commit to buy any new cart that is put out by the community), but that also implies a lot more work for you to make it all fit and switch banks to make it work on an unexpanded system nicely I guess. The boards can be made from the 64k board PCB's, the cases can either be reclaimed TI Invaders shells like with pitfall (Matthew sells them for 2$ a piece, although I'm not sure how many of these there are floating around) or 3D printed stuff if the quality if up to snuff. Maybe retroclouds can share some of his experiences in doing pitfall (which was released before my TI love was re-kindled, so I still need to buy that at some point as well)? Lessons learned, volumes that one can expect, cost of development, ...

If we get this set up properly, the process should be easily repeatable for each new game and don't cause the developer to much headaches and overhead.

I would say cartridge release is better too, I guess even if it's a loader cart, would most people care? (meaning it requires 32k and just loads from the cartridge). Carts are at least more durable and should last longer.

Mr Chin is what it is only because (a) I did the port only to test the compiler and didn't want to mess around with it further, and (b) Collectorvision wanted to do a release anyway which I thought might be cool to see, so that's why it's just floppies.

I'd love to see Rasmus's scrolling collection cart given the commercial release treatment, it's very deserving. :)

I would prefer cartridge releases as well (and I will commit to buy any new cart that is put out by the community), but that also implies a lot more work for you to make it all fit and switch banks to make it work on an unexpanded system nicely I guess.

Just to clarify, when I'm talking about a cartridge release I'm talking about a loader cartridge that requires 32K (but no companion disk, so 'files' are loaded from ROM). I have made cartridges of all my games for myself, and also a 128K 'Scrolling trilogy' cartridge that includes all the games. I think what retroclouds did with Pitfall was an awesome tour-de-force (I have also made a Pitfall cartridge), but even is it was possible I have no desire to go into that much trouble in order to reach a few more people.

• Like 2

I'd love to see Rasmus's scrolling collection cart given the commercial release treatment, it's very deserving. :)

Absolutely. There are clearly a handful of recent TI creations worthy of "full" releases. I would certainly invest in something like that, but sadly I have no experience in the publishing of homebrews of that nature. It's probably best to leave it to those experienced in such matters and hope they're interested.

• 2 weeks later...