IGNORED

Looking for an extended memory test program

knusperfisch

Thanks!

This tool shows 16 banks, 256 KB and the test result is ok.

But every program which actually uses extended memory crashes on my machine.

I'm guessing 256k extended RAM, 64k 'base' RAM, for a total of 320k. There are two 320k upgrades I've heard of, Compy and Rambo. I don't know the compatibility

problems with those. Here's another extended RAM tester. (I guess, since you're in Germany, you have the Compy 320k). Rambo is a ICD/FTe American.

Atari800winplus running xram021.com shows a difference in the banking schemes for Compy and Rambo. Compy uses bits 7,6 and 3,2. Rambo uses bits 6,5 and 3,2.

of $D301 (PORTB).Thats the eight bits 7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0 The software you're using has to be programmed for one or the other, I don't think, but maybe, someone

wrote use of extended RAM for both.

SHORTEST.zip

Edited by russg

It could be a software issue, can you name some of these programs that crash when using extended memory? MyDOS for one needs to have the proper banking bytes put in the table for that by the configuration routine and then you need to write DOS files back to the boot disk or the old table will bite you in the rear end all day long. Simple enough solution, but if we don't know you are trying to use MyDOS and you didn't know about the write back DOS files gotcha, we can't really help much. Other software has it's foibles too.

Oops, seems like my last post is lost after the downtime today.
Ok, again:
Memory extension is self built after an article in german Atari Magazin in the mid 80's.
It has a different bank layout, at least different to Compy Shop extension.

Every test program reports ok, but last word freezes at "Loading lw.sys" even if all config files werde deleted before.

Numen demo does not run (freezes with black screen after loading demo).

Turbo Dos ramdisk works fine.

I think I need to alter the bank layout to make the extension Compy Shop compatible.

yep I was on for hours and it looks like all my brain strain and research are gone. grrrr. oh well back to the drawing board.

Whatever the name try to pick from upgrades that allow the seperate Antic access, they just seem well behaved and act better. Also it makes sure you can run a few rare demos and programs that insist on it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

btw. Last Word does also freeze at the same stage on stock Atari 800 XL with 64K....

I don't know what kind of DOS you're using, etc, but be aware that the application loads into the RAM under the OS. Nevertheless, I just booted the ATR in the link rdea6 provided on a 64KB machine just to be sure (without altering any of the config files), and LW.EXE was loaded successfully via DOS option "L".

I figured out that it only freezes with SIO2SD's fast SIO routines preloaded. Runs fine with slow SIO or in an emulator. Maybe the problem is not mainly the layout of the RAM extension?

It crossed my mind that it could be some SIO transmission error, although it therefore seems odd that something like The Last Word crashes at the exact same point each time. Having said that, high speed SIO can sometimes freeze up when there are lots of interrupts running. Try lots of different software; some titles might be fine with the high-speed, then you can narrow down your problems a bit. ;)

I figured out that it only freezes with SIO2SD's fast SIO routines preloaded. Runs fine with slow SIO or in an emulator. Maybe the problem is not mainly the layout of the RAM extension?

This is probably due to the fact that it boots of the SIO2SD at high speed, and then expects to talk to the 1050 at the same speed afterwards. You can either completely disable high speed SIO, or if you use Hias' patched rom in your Atari, you can press shift-control-s to reset the high speed detection after swapping drives.

This is probably due to the fact that it boots of the SIO2SD at high speed, and then expects to talk to the 1050 at the same speed afterwards. You can either completely disable high speed SIO, or if you use Hias' patched rom in your Atari, you can press shift-control-s to reset the high speed detection after swapping drives.

There is no 1050 involved, what do you mean? I reckon that lw.exe overwrites memory used by the fast SIO routines which causes them to crash. I don't use a patched rom (yet).

Edited by knusperfisch

There is no 1050 involved, what do you mean? I reckon that lw.exe overwrites memory used by the fast SIO routines which causes them to crash.

Where could these "fast SIO routines" reside? Let's be clear: are you placing the Last Word ATR on an SD card, placing that SD card into the SIO2SD, mounting it as D1: and then turning on the computer?

There is no 1050 involved, what do you mean? I reckon that lw.exe overwrites memory used by the fast SIO routines which causes them to crash. I don't use a patched rom (yet).

Sorry - this was about switching from SIO2SD to 1050 afterwards, which was your problem but in a another thread.. Oops.

Where could these "fast SIO routines" reside? Let's be clear: are you placing the Last Word ATR on an SD card, placing that SD card into the SIO2SD, mounting it as D1: and then turning on the computer?

exactly, and then some sectors of fast SIO routines are preloaded (if "topdrive" is set to "1" in sio2sd config) and you have to press select or start to boot the atr in high speed.

Edited by knusperfisch

Well,

you have an Atari Magazin memory upgrade which uses blocks 8ACE, compatible to Rambo, Newell, TOMS and others (Compyshop uses blocks 26AE). There were approx. 4 or 5 updates to the original do-it-yourself instructions in later Atari magazines... take a look at these updates.

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well,

you have an Atari Magazin memory upgrade which uses blocks 8ACE, compatible to Rambo, Newell, TOMS and others (Compyshop uses blocks 26AE). There were approx. 4 or 5 updates to the original do-it-yourself instructions in later Atari magazines... take a look at these updates.

-Andreas Koch.

I found that out in the meantime too, and tried to resolder the PIO wires from pin 15/16 to pin 16/17 like it's written in the last article of the series. It turned out that the whole memory area does not work at all after this modification.

I need to probe the PIO pins. If I do not find out what's wrong, I'll remove the entire botch, replace RAM and PIO if necessary, and install a commercial RAM extension like ultimate 1mb or so.

Edited by knusperfisch

I don't use the more recent SIO2SD firmwares. Scenario I understand with bootable DOS ATR is the computer reads the boot loader and things proceed from there. Never experienced SIO2SD installing anything but the XEX boot loader.

Ok, maybe that causes the misunderstanding:

From firmware "documentation":

• vers. >=3.0 : Builtin very simple TURBO loader (for 7th bit mode - turbo mode similar to one used in XF551)

Ok, maybe that causes the misunderstanding:

Yes, probably it does. I couldn't get the hang of modern SIO2SD firmwares and am still happy using the old one. I just use the peripheral as a bunch of serial disk drives, and none of the more complex functionality. If I want high-speed SIO, I use a DOS which handles high-speed.

I see two separate issues:

Number one is the SIO2SD Turbo Loader. It needs a few bytes in RAM so this can conflict with software. It's basically the same as situation as with the 1050 Turbo upgrade I used quite a lot back in the old days.

But your real problem is the AtariMagazin upgrade. It's a very good example on how to not design a RAM upgrade. The design is simple, neat, and wrong :)

Due to it's bad design it's prone to show occasional timing problems which are hard to track down. I learned this the hard way, the AtariMagazin upgrade was the very first RAM upgrade I added to my 800XL back in the 80s...

These timing errors occur because the AtariMagazin upgrade neglects the fact that the CAS signal extends beyond the normal CPU cycle. You can't just gate CAS with A14/A15, the 74LS375 latch in the Atari XL memory logic exists for a reason :).

A good check if you have timing issues with your RAM upgrade is the timing test in PAGEFIND.BAS (taken from the 130XE assembler). Download the ATR from here, boot the ATR with Basic enabled then enter 'RUN "D:PAGEFIND.BAS"' and select test #1.

If you get any timing errors then there's no need to proceed to tests #2 or #3.

To fix these issues you need to mimic the latching behaviour of the original RAM access logic and hook into CASINH instead of CAS which leads to a lot more complex design. Sorry, I don't have a link to a ready, really working, fix.

At this point you could also just throw out the AtariMagazin upgrade and replace it by some other RAM upgrade. Back then I went this route and designed a proper RAM upgrade myself (also learning several more things the hard way).

If you like soldering just have a look at my simple 512k SRAM upgrade: http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#sram512k - basically that's just a 512k SRAM chip and a GAL22V10 (you need a GAL programmer, though).

Or buy one of the other preassembled, ready-to-install RAM upgrades.

so long,

Hias

• Like 2