IGNORED

Nintendo Fusion vs Sega Saturn

ComputerSpaceFan

All these rumors about Nintendo dropping the WiiU and working on Fusion is reminding me very much of Sega's missteps with the 32X, CD, the Saturn, and the Dreamcast.

But then again, Nintendo is not Sega. Can Nintendo "do" what Sega "didn't" (to reverse the old ad campaign)?

I'm not big on the details of the last days of Sega's console manufacturing. It seems to me they threw too many add-ons and new consoles into the market too rapidly and they lost consumer confidence.

So it would seem to me that Nintendo are following in Sega's footsteps if they drop WiiU (and apparently 3DS) and make this new Fusion thing.

Granted Nintendo have giant piles of gold to keep them afloat for a long time, something Sega didn't have (I think?) back in the 90's. So this is not an easy comparison to make.

Is anyone here an expert of that period of console history? Can someone tell me how Nintendo Fusion is different from Sega Saturn?

I'm not flaming any fanboy wars here, I'm seeking historical knowledge from those who lived it.

Even if it is true, it would take at least two years to put something on store shelves. That's two years that Nintendo would still have to support the Wii-U since they'd have nothing else otherwise.

Wii-U isn't going anywhere. Nintendo's in too deep to stop now.

Nintendo FUSION? Yeah I hear it is coming out around the same time as DREAMCAST 2 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyEhVwl2MI

Yes a little 3D modeling skill combined with fanboy dreams are a dangerous thing lol.

wow! They should make it play all eras of optical media, from Sega CD, 32X CD, Saturn, DC, and beyond! That's good news to see Sega back in the game!

WOW!!! I read online (did a little google searching) and it is backward compatible to ever previous system. I thought it would be since the images included many different CD formats.

Question, it didn't appear to have a rom cart port...is there a hidden one on it? I need to find the thread for this and read-up, instead of hi-jacking this thread.

Edited by Falconhood

• 3 weeks later...

Wii.

Wii U.

Fusion.

One of these names is not like the other. One of the names doesn't belong.

Fusion... a name that would make too much sense for a game console, therefore it is very unlikely that Nintendo would use it even as a development monicker.

No, they always give their consoles cool codenamed and idiotic release names so it fits the pattern:

Nintendo Dolphin = Gamecube

Nintendo Revolution = Wii

• Like 1

If they are developing anything, my guess would be it's the next iteration of their handheld line. Or yet another remodeling of the 3DS (because, you know, they seemingly have to have a new model/revision out every other year or so).

Indeed, I expect them to have a 2DS XL at some point this year if you go by their usual pattern. ;)

• Like 1

wow! They should make it play all eras of optical media, from Sega CD, 32X CD, Saturn, DC, and beyond! That's good news to see Sega back in the game!

WOW!!! I read online (did a little google searching) and it is backward compatible to ever previous system. I thought it would be since the images included many different CD formats.

Question, it didn't appear to have a rom cart port...is there a hidden one on it? I need to find the thread for this and read-up, instead of hi-jacking this thread.

46238418.jpg

• Like 2