IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 5 is up!

But I will say that while you and I didn't care for those original plug and play games (with their NES on a chip emulation), they did sell over a million of them, which enabled Intellivision Productions to remain in business, get the Intellivision name out there to a wider audience (no such thing as BAD publicity, after all), and allowed the budget to bring to market other products like the DS version, the Gen2 stuff, and the upcoming AT Games console.

Depends on what you mean by "no such thing as BAD publicity". The handhelds sold for around $10 if memory serves. For this amount, anyone is willing to try it out. Those that did try it out will probably never buy something Intellivision again. The DS version did not seem to be such a hit as, if memory serves again, there were some challenges to producing it (someone can help me with the details). The price point the AT Games product is going to be set is high for those willing to just waste money on it.

Another thing to take into consideration. The handhelds were sold at a time when the retro arcade market was at it's peak. People spending money now are pouring it into the new consoles. The handhelds may have helped them to remain in business but the AT Games product will help put them out of business.

I have no intention of buying the AT Game product. I am sure 99% of the people in this forum will though but that will not make it a success.

I don't think their intention was to release a bad product, from an emulation standpoint. But it was what they were able to put out at that time for the price point they wanted.

But this is just my opinion. We will soon hear the reasons behind it directly from the source.

They probably do not play the games so have no idea the quality of product produced. If they did have an idea, they would have known the games were bad. Sorry but Tennis sucked and was unplayable.

We know why these crappy products are produced; to make money. Why do we believe they had not intention to make a poor product?

The story you hear will be one sided with spin on it. It will be entertaining to hear but I am curious how truthful it will be. Keith will bloviate and you will not get any good questions in.

A long time ago I purchased the Playstation II version of Intellivision Lives! (my first return to the Intellivision since my childhood). I was so excited until I tried to play the games: I guess there was no way to map the simple Playstation controller to the Intellivision one, so in order to use the keypad for games like Utopia, you had to press a button, which would pause the game and bring up a graphic of the keypad that took over half the screen; and then use the controller to move a cursor around the keys to select which one you wanted. It killed the games, it was useless.

-dZ.

A long time ago I purchased the Playstation II version of Intellivision Lives! (my first return to the Intellivision since my childhood). I was so excited until I tried to play the games: I guess there was no way to map the simple Playstation controller to the Intellivision one, so in order to use the keypad for games like Utopia, you had to press a button, which would pause the game and bring up a graphic of the keypad that took over half the screen; and then use the controller to move a cursor around the keys to select which one you wanted. It killed the games, it was useless.

-dZ.

Haven't tried that version yet....maybe I'll keep that one as a sealed collectible ;-)

Depends on what you mean by "no such thing as BAD publicity". The handhelds sold for around $10 if memory serves. For this amount, anyone is willing to try it out. Those that did try it out will probably never buy something Intellivision again. The DS version did not seem to be such a hit as, if memory serves again, there were some challenges to producing it (someone can help me with the details). The price point the AT Games product is going to be set is high for those willing to just waste money on it.

Another thing to take into consideration. The handhelds were sold at a time when the retro arcade market was at it's peak. People spending money now are pouring it into the new consoles. The handhelds may have helped them to remain in business but the AT Games product will help put them out of business.

I have no intention of buying the AT Game product. I am sure 99% of the people in this forum will though but that will not make it a success.

I agree Dave, that was a horrible product and that in itself is bad publicity and a reason to forget retro games in general.

Make the Intellivision look like the great system it always was and has been thanks to guys like you!

That is debatable whether it was completed or not.

:roll: Bullshit much? You've played the final version of the game exactly ZERO times. I'll take Jeff Minter's opinions on the Inty version of the game over yours any time of day. For those that missed it, heres the video :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLgoISYBfOI

:roll: Bullshit much? You've played the final version of the game exactly ZERO times. I'll take Jeff Minter's opinions on the Inty version of the game over yours any time of day. For those that missed it, heres the video :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLgoISYBfOI

And why didn't you send William the final version? After all he has paid you for exactly that!

That is debatable whether it was completed or not.

Regardless, it is being redeveloped.

Anyone interested in ordering a Half Cut cart can contact me at

gamesforyourintellivision@hotmail.com

Thank you, sounds good.

As for Hover Boover, just asking about something mentioned in the podcast, did not intend to have this thread taken off track or reopen any disagreements on the game.

Rick, how about having "Hover Boover Exposed" on your podcast? A great question could be what really happened and you could get into the copyright discussion of the game. What if the game was given a new name like HB2014? Could it be released with no issues? Would it take a character change? Jeff Minter loved the game. Would he allow an unofficial release of the game with some changes? Many in this forum want to buy this game and if it is already completed, why not release it?

Edited by intvdave

The handhelds sold for around $10 if memory serves. For this amount, anyone is willing to try it out. Those that did try it out will probably never buy something Intellivision again.

Casual gamers and non-Inty collectors weren't put off by it. If you didn't know or didn't remember the original console, there was nothing inherently wrong with the handhelds. They played "retro games".

Personally, I didn't like them, since they weren't the real thing (though they were advertised as such). But close to a million others did like them, based on the sales figures. And the fact that I didn't like them does not mean I will never buy another IP product.

The DS version did not seem to be such a hit as, if memory serves again, there were some challenges to producing it (someone can help me with the details).

They had major problems with the publisher they used. They were promised way more than they ever received as far as marketing push and distribution.

The price point the AT Games product is going to be set is high for those willing to just waste money on it.

Have they actually published the price point? I've not seen it if they have. But let's assume a price of $50. That's a pretty low amount, given the average home brew Inty game is $50-$70.

I think the "retro" gaming market is stronger than ever today. And based on some things I've heard about the AT Inty console (that I'm not at liberty to discuss at the moment), I'm giving IP the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Listening to the Robinson interview now. I'm not sure who mentioned it, but thanks for remembering that you could get a free game by sending in the bottom flap of a number of boxes. I've always wondered why so many boxes have their bottom flaps missing! (Same reason why so many Parker Brothers manuals are missing the lower right corner.)