IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 5 is up!

One potential compromise (and I have no idea if this is technologically possible) would be to actually break up the episodes into segments, like tracks on a CD (do people still listen to CDs?). Then people could theoretically listen only to the segments they choose, like the interviews. Comedycentral.com does something similar with shows like Daily Show and Tosh.0, were they make available just certain bits and interviews on the web.

Personally, I don't mind the length. I listen on the web, which does not remember where I left off, but I write down the time when I stop it. If segmented into tracks, I could better choose stopping points and start with a new track when picking it back up later on. The list that you guys make listing all of the segment times its a big help as is, but actually segmenting into tracks would make it that much easier. My two cents, good Sirs.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

To be very clear - we welcome all this feedback! I don't want it to seem like whenever one of us replies to these ideas that we are dismissing them.

We have looked into the chapter-ing of the show. It's doable, for sure, assuming Nurmix can learn about the tools to use, etc. But I believe that audio files with chapter breaks cannot be plain .mp3 files. So then you're looking at restricting the types of players that can be used. I suppose putting out more than one version would also be possible - one .mp3 for wide appeal, another with chapter breaks for those with players who can handle that. But it really comes down to Nurmix's time as he does all the audio engineering on this podcast.

As Rick says, thanks for all the feedback!

We will see what we can do with regard to creating chapters (I currently know nothing about that process). That said, we have a finite space "per month" for hosting our shows with Libsyn, so if we were to host 2 separate file formats of each show, given the show lengths, we would exceed our limits.

I realize the segment / times breakdown we include for each episode on our website is not ideal (especially if you're listening on a mobile device or in the car), but it is accurate, and can guide you to the segment you want to hear.

But as far as show length in general, with all the content we generate, I don't see how we can do them any shorter. And breaking them up into chunks takes away from the feel of the show, as boxpressed mentioned. And honestly, it also comes down to time. Putting small episodes out every week is not possible with my work and family life. Nor is it the way that I want to present the show.

I know there are many different ways to listen to podcasts. For all the podcasts I listen to - and there are A LOT - I use an iPhone with Downcast, whether I'm at home, in my office, in my car, and switching back and forth between podcasts is not a problem. For the most part, it always "remembers" where I left off in a given show. But if you use the web player, yeah, that's not going to do that. And if you download it, depending on what you play it with, you may or may not have that capability.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. We're always looking to improve the show, and this helps.

• Like 1

Began listening on #01 yesterday and downloaded all via iTunes today. Great stuff - thanks for the labour of love included in making these. Looking for many more. Please give a link for donations.

Thanks, AtariBuff! We will be adding something in the near future with that option.

The length doesnt bother me at alll personally, the more the better I say. :) While a chapter breakdown might help, I generally haven't found pausing and returning later to be a problem. Plus it gives us lots of content to spread out over the month between episodes. Thanks yet again for doing this.

• Like 1

The length doesnt bother me at all personally, the more the better I say. :) While a chapter breakdown might help, I generally haven't found pausing and returning later to be a problem. Plus it gives us lots of content to spread out over the month between episodes. Thanks yet again for doing this.

What did you say?

• Like 1

Finally made it through all 6 podcasts - very cool stuff so keep up the good work. Really liked listening to Tom Loughry - can't believe he did Boxing, Sub Hunt, AD&D Cloudy Mountain, AD&D Treasure of Tarmin, Dreadnought Factor & Worm Whomper while also having a hand in others - very impressive list of games there (yes I liked boxing - would love a Super Pro version one day).

Again, nice job and thanks for all your efforts!

• Like 2

Finally made it through all 6 podcasts - very cool stuff so keep up the good work. Really liked listening to Tom Loughry - can't believe he did Boxing, Sub Hunt, AD&D Cloudy Mountain, AD&D Treasure of Tarmin, Dreadnought Factor & Worm Whomper while also having a hand in others - very impressive list of games there (yes I liked boxing - would love a Super Pro version one day).

Again, nice job and thanks for all your efforts!

Yes he did some of my favorite games I didnt mind boxing I only ever had one fight got the distance I think it was number 3 against 6 LOL the things I remember .

Hi Intellfan,

Yeah I actually had a lot of fun with boxing - remember having a double knockout once with stars circling the fallen boxers heads - that didn't happen often. I also remember sinking 35 ships in Sub Hunt several decades ago - will have to pick that one up again one day and beat it. I just recently beat all levels of Cloudy Mountain and as a kid beat all levels of Tarmin getting so powerful that I was easily able to go down to level 256 I believe before starting at level 1 again. Dreadnought Factor & Worm Whomper I didn't have as a kid but got around 1992 when I got into collecting. But yes agree with you that these are some really good games he did. Would have loved to see the other AD&D game he was working on - maybe one day if health permits and price is right as this would be a huge seller I believe breaking all homebrew records for the inty.

Hope all is well and talk to you soon.

Joe.

The size of a show influences how people listen to it, and telling them to "embrace pause technology" does not change that.

If I decided to download and listen to these in my car, for example, it'd be a real problem. It restarts the track whenever I shut off / restart the car. If they were, say, 20 minute segments, at least that's roughly matched to my morning commute.

If I decided to download and listen to these in my car, for example, it'd be a real problem. It restarts the track whenever I shut off / restart the car. If they were, say, 20 minute segments, at least that's roughly matched to my morning commute.

Yeah, I can see that as being a bit of a problem!

I realize there are quite a variety of ways people listen to podcasts. I guess I've been doing it for so long on a smartphone - which really makes it effortless - that I make assumptions that others do it the same way, which is clearly not the case.

Anyway, I'm looking into some alternative web players that will work with chaptering. But the idea of breaking each show up into a multitude of individual mp3 files (which would mean multiple file tagging and multiple uploads and a big mess in the Libsyn / website directory of shows) is just something I won't do.

But ultimately, we want as many people to listen to the show as possible. That said, if anyone wants to volunteer some time (and possibly some hosting), perhaps breaking the show up like that and making it available as individual mp3 downloads (or as a ZIP containing all the individual mp3s) could happen?

I'm listening right now. I figured out the PODCAST thing (I missed the iPod revolution, but do have a iPad Mini)

evidently I DID find the thread here,...and forgot about it. I didn't listen to that episode long, but that would explain why it didn't start at the beginning when I started it, after finishing episode 6.

But, wow, I'm amazed at how complicated it must have been to mimic a voice. It seemed to be nothing.

Finally made it through all 6 podcasts - very cool stuff so keep up the good work. Really liked listening to Tom Loughry - can't believe he did Boxing, Sub Hunt, AD&D Cloudy Mountain, AD&D Treasure of Tarmin, Dreadnought Factor & Worm Whomper while also having a hand in others - very impressive list of games there

Yes, and he was later involved in some Accolade racing games such as Test Drive III and Grand Prix Unlimited which I played a lot back in the 90s, I had no idea they were designed by the same person who brought us all those fine Inty games.

Hi Intellfan,

Yeah I actually had a lot of fun with boxing - remember having a double knockout once with stars circling the fallen boxers heads - that didn't happen often.

LOL! never got to see that happen but knew it was possible because if was described in the manual, someone's got to upload a video of that!

I can tell you that I am one of those who gets turned off by the length of a podcast. Whether you want to accept it or not, it is a real phenomenon. It may be obvious to you that there is no requirement to listen to everything in one sitting, but such is human nature. The size of a show influences how people listen to it, and telling them to "embrace pause technology" does not change that.

-dZ.

Wait until you see the 6 hour beast called episode 7!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Late to the party here (though does it really matter when we're talking about moldy old Intellivision?) and l really like the way most of the Keith Robinson questions were asked almost verbatim and answered with sincerity. A class act all the way around.

I too would appreciate chapter stops, and would be willing to contribute software or funds to help that happen if it's reasonable. Looks like you would need dual hosting for AAC (Apple-compatible) and MP3 (web stream and other) versions, at least from reading this. http://www.macworld.com/article/2019713/how-to-create-podcast-chapters.html

Late to the party here (though does it really matter when we're talking about moldy old Intellivision?) and l really like the way most of the Keith Robinson questions were asked almost verbatim and answered with sincerity. A class act all the way around.

I too would appreciate chapter stops, and would be willing to contribute software or funds to help that happen if it's reasonable. Looks like you would need dual hosting for AAC (Apple-compatible) and MP3 (web stream and other) versions, at least from reading this. http://www.macworld.com/article/2019713/how-to-create-podcast-chapters.html

I'm always open to assistance on the chaptering thing (software, hosting, volunteers).

Because honestly, anything that involves more of my time or additional expense is not likely to happen.