IGNORED

Atari Flashback 5 New Features (Dream List)

What I dream of to be included in the new Atari flashback 5 console.

• Cartridge or SD slot
  • To be able to save high scores.
  • Proper Wireless controllers not infra-red (joystick and paddle)
  • + Still the option to plug in the original controllers.
  • Atari Arcade version of the games as well as the 2600 and 7800 versions
  • HDMI output (just to future proof it)

I know it is a long shot but we can all have dreams.

Anybody got anything else to add to the list?

Edited by Moonpig
  • Like 1

I gave up on this Flashback stuff. We'll never get anything we want. They seem to only listen to focus groups made of random A-holes they grab strolling through a mall.

Focus Group Moderator: "What would you like to see in the Flashback 5?"

Dumbass #1: "I always lost my 'tari tapes back in tha 80s. I hate 'tari tapes. I don't wanna deal with tapes or anything else I can lose."

Dumbass #2: "I like it when the stick unscrews from the base in my hand while I'm playing. It adds to the challenge when the joystick falls apart. How fast can you screw it back in before you lose all of your lives? It's a blast! The joysticks from the 1970s and 1980s didn't do that and that's one reason why I stopped playing Atari. Give me joysticks that fall apart while I'm playing or I'm not interested."

• Like 13

I gave up on this Flashback stuff. We'll never get anything we want. They seem to only listen to focus groups made of random A-holes they grab strolling through a mall.

Focus Group Moderator: "What would you like to see in the Flashback 5?"

Dumbass #1: What's a Flashback 5?

...is more like it. :lol:

Until there is a cartridge slot of some kind, perfect emulation and/or a much better software selection, I don't see a reason to continue with these.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I dream of to be included in the new Atari flashback 5 console.

• Cartridge or SD slot
  • To be able to save high scores.
  • Proper Wireless controllers not infra-red (joystick and paddle)
  • + Still the option to plug in the original controllers.
  • Atari Arcade version of the games as well as the 2600 and 7800 versions
  • HDMI output (just to future proof it)

I know it is a long shot but we can all have dreams.

Anybody got anything else to add to the list?

Ever since they dropped Curt's 2600-on-a-Chip for a ARM emulated version I've lost all interest in the Flashback line. That emulated garbage just doesn't have the feel. While not as bad as the Flashback 1's NES-on-a-Chip design, I preferred the authenticity.

Edited by EmOneGarand
  • Like 2

this is amusing, some dude cooks up a 2600 on a chip but its more authentic than some dude cooking up a 2600 in software, neither are real, and at this point in time a toaster could run 2600 games, but mention software and the enthusiast comes out with no real understanding other than feel

I have a real 2600 and a real 2600 emulator, other than the feel of the controller I hardly tell the difference on 99% of programs unless I nit pick over them

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

this is amusing, some dude cooks up a 2600 on a chip but its more authentic than some dude cooking up a 2600 in software, neither are real, and at this point in time a toaster could run 2600 games, but mention software and the enthusiast comes out with no real understanding other than feel

I have a real 2600 and a real 2600 emulator, other than the feel of the controller I hardly tell the difference on 99% of programs unless I nit pick over them

You seem to be saying "I can't tell the difference between real and emulation unless I pay attention." The fact that you're unobservant doesn't do anything for the rest of us.

• Like 2

no observant and sitting there with a magnifying glass nit picking over every detail are two different things, long as it plays the fart noise fat pixel games fairly accurately then most people would be happy.

I bet if I setup a experiment where it appeared that you were playing a heavy sixer, but actually running an emulator, that most "experts" would never know the difference while just playing a game

• Like 1

no observant and sitting there with a magnifying glass nit picking over every detail are two different things, long as it plays the fart noise fat pixel games fairly accurately then most people would be happy.

I bet if I setup a experiment where it appeared that you were playing a heavy sixer, but actually running an emulator, that most "experts" would never know the difference while just playing a game

That's a nice fantasy you have there. Reminds me of nontasters that cover everything in ketchup or hot sauce who act like supertasters don't exist and believe that everybody should eat the way that they do. A lot of people seem to have nontaster brains and it looks like you might be one of them. There are people who can instantly see or hear differences without needing to spend time looking for them.

Different people have different natural abilities. If you have a nontaster brain, you probably can't do anything to change it and you can't magically make everyone else have a nontaster brain, so drop it already.

apparently I offended this superstar which has granted me a good paragraph of personal insult. This reminds me of people that think anything less than a record playing on a macIntosh tube amp using 1000$ speaker cables is ear rape. IE pointless to even try and rationalize with

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1