IGNORED

Atari Flashback 5 New Features (Dream List)

When I'm able to, I'll let you know the details if AtGames doesn't do a press release first. All I can say is that it will have more games than ever (though still missing Activision and other important titles due to inability to get licenses) and the underlying emulation engine will have further tweaks over the 4 (no surprise there). The SD card slot is a no-go, sadly. It was briefly considered, but I don't think they were allowed to. Yeah, it makes no sense. While the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks will have wired controllers, right now I think the 5 still has the wireless ones, with the wired pair sold separately. Hopefully I'll know more within the next few months (or sooner).

Any news on the Atari flashback 5?

Or is it going to be released for Christmas?

Any news on the Atari flashback 5?

Or is it going to be released for Christmas?

It will indeed have the usual wireless controllers. As far as I can tell it's pretty much done, even the packaging. I think it's just a matter of waiting for the other Flashbacks to be finished up before we have a single release date. We'll see. I'd say mid- to late-summer at the earliest is a safe bet, though I'd err a few months after.

As was pointed out here, it looks like Toys R Us has most of the upcoming Atari, Intellivision, and Sega Flashbacks for pre-order: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174007-intellivision-ebay-roundup/?p=2981267

Notably absent is the ColecoVision one, but that's not shocking since the packaging for that was the last to be finalized.

As was pointed out here, it looks like Toys R Us has most of the upcoming Atari, Intellivision, and Sega Flashbacks for pre-order: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174007-intellivision-ebay-roundup/?p=2981267

Notably absent is the ColecoVision one, but that's not shocking since the packaging for that was the last to be finalized.

Thanks for the quick reply, i see you can preorder the flashback 5 here

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35291066&cp=&parentPage=search

Says it has 100 Games :)

I can see 2 new games from the box Gauntlet & Defender 2, i cannot make out the game on the far right.

Thanks for the quick reply, i see you can preorder the flashback 5 here

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35291066&cp=&parentPage=search

Says it has 100 Games :)

I can see 2 new games from the box Gauntlet & Defender 2, i cannot make out the game on the far right.

That's just Missile Command.

Bill, will this revised Sega Genesis console incorporate the SD slot from the handheld and some of their earlier products? Doesn't look like it in the ToysRUs picture.

No. I don't have one in my possession, but I think the only new features are minor performance improvements. I would think the omission of an SD slot is purely for economic reasons in deference to the cartridge port. I would assume though they'll have to do something radical like that for a 2015 version, though. We'll see I guess.

apparently I offended this superstar which has granted me a good paragraph of personal insult. This reminds me of people that think anything less than a record playing on a macIntosh tube amp using 1000$ speaker cables is ear rape. IE pointless to even try and rationalize with

There is scientific evidence that bulk 12 or 14 guage stranded copper speaker cable has no audible difference compared to the $1000 per foot stuff. Lower guage = better performance, albeit with diminishing returns with short cable runs at larger guage; everything else is marketing BS. I have a solid state Sony stereo Amp from Best buy, Polk speakers from NewEgg, and hooked them up with bulk 14-guage wire I got for cheap at Lowes.

I recently got a Flashback 2 off Blasted Machines Tech Shop. I'd like to convert it to cartridge port eventually, but I can't see a way to do it that would not destroy the beautiful trim on the console, so I'll just keep it stock. We need AOAC clones. Too much emphasis with clone manufacturers on NES and 16-bit generations. An AOAC exists, so build one already. Even if it doesn't run homebrews correctly, an Atari 2600/7800 clone system would be nice to have.

Edited by stardust4ever

The inclusion of Gauntlet is interesting; there was no 2600 version of that, so we've officially moved into "2600 games + random other old Atari properties" world. That's also an Atari Games title, rather than legacy Atari Corp, so there's some licensing from Warner Bros too.

That trend had already started with the FB4 and it's arcade-based Space Invaders, but I'm really curious to see the game list and see how far its drifted from the pure 2600 experience of the FB2.

No. I don't have one in my possession, but I think the only new features are minor performance improvements. I would think the omission of an SD slot is purely for economic reasons in deference to the cartridge port. I would assume though they'll have to do something radical like that for a 2015 version, though. We'll see I guess.

Too bad

I'd like to see all three major features appear in the same product something. Cartridge port, original controller ports, and SD slot. Maybe next year. :)

An Atari 8-bit computer/5200 flashback would be so easy to market if people are willing to think outside the box.

It doesn't even need to be a standalone product. These are called Atari Flashbacks, not Atari 2600 Flashbacks. So the fact that something like an Atari Flashback 400/800 or something of the like might not have instant name appeal is a moot point.

And they're emulation based so they hardly have to be tied to covering a single platform.

I would think that the free and clear 8 bit games, many of which are significantly enhanced over their 2600 counterparts, would be a nice way to expand the game lineup if the guts of these things have enough horsepower.

And I would guess they probably do since the 2600 isn't the easiest thing to emulate and needs more processing power than newer hardware like the NES requires to do justice to it.

Edited by Atariboy

It would be really cool if Gauntlet was 4 player ( 2 on wireless controller and 2 on plugged in) .

The inclusion of Gauntlet is interesting; there was no 2600 version of that, so we've officially moved into "2600 games + random other old Atari properties" world. That's also an Atari Games title, rather than legacy Atari Corp, so there's some licensing from Warner Bros too.

That trend had already started with the FB4 and it's arcade-based Space Invaders, but I'm really curious to see the game list and see how far its drifted from the pure 2600 experience of the FB2.

Yes indeed, i hope they have the arcade version of Warlords, Paper Boy, Marble Madness & Gauntlet 2

4 player Gauntlet would be cool ( 2 player wireless and 2 players plugged in)

Edited by Moonpig
  • Like 1

Wow, I never thought the old Flashbacks would get so many sequels. This is great! I started another thread about the announced Intellivision system before I checked this. I wish all the 3rd-party licensed games could finally be included so we could remember the old days properly.

OK, I have a small bit of news, which I guess I'll have to repeat on various threads here. First off, the final game mixes are not finalized yet. Second, I'm not allowed to reveal any of the titles, but both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks will have some surprises on them in the mix of games. So, while the lists can't be made publicly available yet, it has gotten a bit more interesting. I should have units shortly before their retail availability and will make sure I get my reviews up as soon as possible. I'll obviously look at it from several angles, including how everything works with original hardware and vice-versa.

• Like 2

It would be really cool if Gauntlet was 4 player ( 2 on wireless controller and 2 on plugged in) .

Yes indeed, i hope they have the arcade version of Warlords, Paper Boy, Marble Madness & Gauntlet 2

4 player Gauntlet would be cool ( 2 player wireless and 2 players plugged in)

That would be sweet as Paperboy is among my favorite games of all-time!

:cool:

I would hazard a wild guess that the list of games for the Flashback 5 would look generally the same as the ones in their mobile app "Atari's greatest hits" from a few years back:
http://www.mobilecomputingtoday.co.uk/blog/article/atari-greatest-hits-games-list

Just remove some of them and throw in some other games including "Defender 2" and "Gauntlet" as indicated on the box on Toys R Us homepage and it would make a small degree of sense.
Many of the games i see there in the app are present on the FB4 at least.

Edited by Raticon

OK, I have a small bit of news, which I guess I'll have to repeat on various threads here. First off, the final game mixes are not finalized yet. Second, I'm not allowed to reveal any of the titles, but both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks will have some surprises on them in the mix of games. So, while the lists can't be made publicly available yet, it has gotten a bit more interesting. I should have units shortly before their retail availability and will make sure I get my reviews up as soon as possible. I'll obviously look at it from several angles, including how everything works with original hardware and vice-versa.

Homebrews? PM "Hi Atarileaf" once for yes, twice for no ;)

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

I live in St. Louis, and around a month ago I was at the Brentwood Walmart and they had Flashback 5 units for sale. I took a look and concluded that I was all set with my Flashback 2, 3 and 4 (besides my original 6 switch and Coleco expansion module 1, Atari Jr. and 7800). Only after the announcement of the Coleco and Intellivision units a few days ago did I realize that they were probably test-marketing those Flashback 5s.
I went back yesterday hoping that they would have some Intellivision and Colecovision units, but to no avail. Those Flashback 5s were gone, also.
I so cannot wait for October. And yes, I do have an original Intellivision (actually, I, II and III) and Colecovision, but I kind of like the Flashbacks.

Edited by didimo63

I live in St. Louis, and around a month ago I was at the Brentwood Walmart and they had Flashback 5 units for sale.

Estimated Ship date: 10/01/2014

bBwPBlG.jpg

Yeah I know you don't have that, just finding it hard to believe you saw FB 5 "for sale" when nothing has been finalized and surely Bill Loguidice would have known about or received one. Of course anything is possible in the Twilight Zone but this being your one of two posts here well, there is no credibility.

JUST MY OPINION I TEND TO BE A SKEPTIC. ;)

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

To be fair, AtGames doesn't tell me everything as I don't work for them in any official capacity, but yeah, I would find it odd that I was discussing packaging with them around the time it was supposed to be "test marketed" there and the final games list is, well, still not quite final. Also, generally speaking, a test market serves purposes ranging from gauging interest to "marketing practice," neither of which would apply to my mind for the fifth product in a line of previously successful products at a major retailer. So yeah, it doesn't pass the sniff test. It's probably just a simple matter of misidentifying one of the Atari Flashback 4 or Flashback 64 models. After all, AtGames does put out variations all of the time.

• Like 2

I understand, but I'm a 51 y.o. college professor who would have very little interest in fabricating stories :). [i've also been playing video games since I was in grade 6, summer of '75, and I wrote for a few years for the leading Italian video game magazine at the time, Super Console, under the pseudo of Didimo]. I know I'm new here, but I can provide "references", just PM me just in case you care. I'm in a way trying to make sense of what I saw (which I took at face value, as I explained. "Oh, look, the new FB 5 just came out", and re-analyzing my data. However, since I do own Flashback 2 to 4, I am quite sure that what I saw was not a different version of Flashback 4. UNLESS a Flashback 4 Special Edition with ONE HUNDRED games came out in the meantime. No, it was not the Flashback 4 with paddle controllers and 75 games, Box clearly stated it had 100 games. So, what did a fairly reputable, yet not senile yet, 51 y.o. collector see at Walmart on that night? BTW, I don't drink, I don't do drugs ;-).

Estimated Ship date: 10/01/2014

bBwPBlG.jpg

Yeah I know you don't have that, just finding it hard to believe you saw FB 5 "for sale" when nothing has been finalized and surely Bill Loguidice would have known about or received one. Of course anything is possible in the Twilight Zone but this being your one of two posts here well, there is no credibility.

JUST MY OPINION I TEND TO BE A SKEPTIC. ;)

For what it's worth, I sent a query to AtGames. I'll let you know what they say. It makes no sense for this to be true (not calling you a liar, of course, just perhaps misidentifying somehow), but you never know. It would be neat if it were true.

• Like 2

Thank you, I look forward to hearing what they say. I'd be interested in learning also if they possibly test-marketed a "hybrid" unit, a FB 4 with 100 games. However, I am pretty positive I did see a 5 on the box.
The store is the Walmart SuperCenter in Maplewood. St. Louis, and it was maybe 4 weeks ago.

Grazie!

For what it's worth, I sent a query to AtGames. I'll let you know what they say. It makes no sense for this to be true (not calling you a liar, of course, just perhaps misidentifying somehow), but you never know. It would be neat if it were true.