IGNORED

DS titles appear to be heading to the Wii U Virtual Console

Atariboy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760112

I wish it was the 3DS instead, but neat news none the less.

I hope they invest a lot of effort into getting their image processing to work as ideal as possible since we're already dealing with N64 era style graphics and at a reduced resolution to boot. So any harm done to the image via upscaling is going to murder an image that will already be borderline acceptable in some cases.

What I'd really want though is a 3DS Player attachment. There are perhaps a half dozen 1st party DS titles I think I'd enjoy playing on my tv that are likely candidates for release. Being able to decide myself what's available would be far superior.

• Like 1

Pleased because this was one of the first uses I thought of for the Wii U controller. I would rather original games based on the gameplay style of DS/3DS franchises then VC titles but ehh, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Less than pleased because I don't suspect Nintendo will do much with trying to upscale the images and the original DS has hideous resolution

The appeal here to me is tv out. I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars to enjoy a favorite of mine on the big screen for the first time.

If the Wii U could play actual DS cartridges, my interest would be next to nothing. But since it can't, the Virtual Console route is the next best thing for select titles from my collection.

Love this idea but for me it's a bummer I will never buy any, I don't like the policy of games tied to console.

Just be patient, all signs are that this will be ending soon including comments in the same stuff where this DS news came from yesterday. They already had Nintendo id's, they're now unified across the Wii U & 3DS, they've acknowledged that tying downloads to hardware is less than perfect, and now they're talking as if it will be rectified.

And some of what they've done possibly even suggests cross buying. Several NES additions recently have appeared simultaneously on both and the future additions of DS & GBA software to the Wii U would be a perfect way to roll such a program out.

They're obvious additions to the 3DS Virtual Console as well and have been oddly absent so far. So other than saving them to inaugurate cross buying with, I don't know why the 3DS wouldn't already have both categories since it's capable of playing both libraries.

And to accomplish that, it implies a account based DRM solution as I see it if a single purchase is going to be available on two platforms.

Edited by Atariboy

I agree with Atariboy. And I made a post about this and why don't they include the Wii so there would be a bigger buyer's base. Plus people would get more use out of their consoles. And would love to play them on a TV.

Wii? Nintendo wants you to chuck it in the trash and buy a Wii-U.

"Please please please please please please please please please somebody buy a Wii-U". --Nintendo

They already had Nintendo id's, they're now unified across the Wii U & 3DS, they've acknowledged that tying downloads to hardware is less than perfect, and now they're talking as if it will be rectified.

I noticed that as well (Nintendo ID's). I'm hoping it's soon, there's actually quite a few gems in the eshop I would like to get.

please somebody buy a Wii-U". --Nintendo

I can imagine this scream out of Japan...heard across the world ala Princess Bride.

Wii? Nintendo wants you to chuck it in the trash and buy a Wii-U.

"Please please please please please please please please please somebody buy a Wii-U". --Nintendo

I noticed that as well (Nintendo ID's). I'm hoping it's soon, there's actually quite a few gems in the eshop I would like to get.

I can imagine this scream out of Japan...heard across the world ala Princess Bride.

Your comments are spot on! But some of us don't have deep pockets like Nintendo thinks we do. Not complaining just saying.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been curious how well a nice looking DS game would translate. This video from an emulator showing off Mario Kart DS pretty much allays my concerns.

[VIDEO]

Looking forward to hopefully getting this and a few other classics on the Wii U one of these days.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 months later...

So where are these DS downloads for the Wii U Virtual Console? I wonder why they felt compelled to announce such a thing 9 months in advance and counting, yet here we are with just Brain Training available in Japan and Europe and not even that for North America.

Their Virtual Console frustrates me. I can tolerate things like the pricing (Although I bet they'd rake in more than enough revenue from additional sales to come out on top if they'd slash their prices in half... these price points are just high enough where they're not impulse buys.), the slow pace for their releases, and the often barebones nature of their efforts (Like the lack of manual scans for NES & SNES downloads).

I can even turn a blind eye towards their anti consumer lock to the hardware that bought it DRM policy and the lack of 3DS/Wii U cross-buying.

But content wise, I just don't get it. Where are things like...

-Nintendo 64 downloads, promised even before the Wii U launched.

-Game Boy and Game Boy Color games (The two Kirby Game Boy games were just fine on Kirby's Dream Collection for the Wii).

-An arcade section stocked with releases like Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers, and Vs. Super Mario Brothers, not to mention 3rd party releases.

-Why are superior versions not made available like their edited Donkey Kong release for the NES in place of the original Famicom effort or the 1993 Mario Bros. conversion for the NES in Europe?

-Where are the Super FX SuperNes downloads (Super FX patents are now public domain, so the old excuse from 2006 that they don't own that chip design doesn't fly.).

-NES Zapper games using the Wii remote and with a Sega style calibration setup (Like in House of the Dead II/III for the Wii) to allow an off-screen cross-hair to be disabled.

-Nintendo imports (A translated release of Marvelous for the Super Famicom or the Jap exclusive F-Zero for the GBA), prototypes (Star Fox 2), Satelliteview conversions of stuff like the exclusive Zelda content, etc.

And that's just for Nintendo's own lineup and ignores such things as the glaring absence of Sega support.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yoshi's Island DS should be available on the Wii U Virtual Console by the time you've read this.

Nintendo 64 downloads have finally launched as well, with Super Mario 64 being the first selection.

I hope they didn't screw these up. They really need to be rendered in HD for the best effect.

HxrSvaI.png

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, it looks quite nice.

Sadly, this doesn't look so promising. Difficulty to determine with certainty thanks to the screen setting he went with (He should've selected the large screen display option), but this doesn't look like it's being rendered in HD to me. I'll be skipping the 3D titles if that's the deal.

I also don't see an option to rotate the upper screen 90 degrees and only display that on your tv.

Not sure how useful that one is, but if they ever release a classic arcade collection like Konami Arcade Hits here with all its vertically oriented arcade games that benefited from holding the DS sideways, that will be missed since you obviously can't rotate something like a 40" HDTV sideways to correct your perspective.

Edited by Atariboy

This is pretty awful looking.

I'll support them with something 2D like Yoshi's Island DS, but 3D DS games at their native resolution aren't worth paying $10 a download for.

Maybe the system can't handle rendering them in HD? You need a pretty decent machine to emulate the DS perfectly (something my own PC can't even handle).

Certainly a possibility.

Upon further reading, no button remapping options and it's Wii U gamepad only, even if a game doesn't use the touch screen. And Yoshi's Island DS is ruined. No option to stack the screens on your tv while using the d pad and buttons, except the one with the huge DS themed border that makes the picture much smaller than it potentially could be.

New Super Mario Bros DS will be perhaps the only one I buy. The lowres polygonal characters shouldn't look too bad in what's otherwise a 2D game, it uses the d pad and buttons, and the action will be focused on the tv most of the time.

Edited by Atariboy

The Castlevania games are still a day-one purchase for me if they hit. I'd love to stream or do a longplay or let's play of each of the three games, but I haven't been able to up to this point due to my PC's issue with DS emulation. It beats installing a several hundred dollar device installed in your DS to play its games on a TV.

They're not quite as good of a fit as I thought they would be at first, since apparently there's a bit of touch screen control in at least one of them. I was thinking it was 100% d-pad and buttons.

I still hope those come out though, since I missed out on all three and suspect they're a bit pricey these days. So even if I'm stuck looking at the gamepad screen and using my tv for a map display, I'd be interested.

With Nintendo's own lineup of DS titles, I already own them all in cartridge form that I'd ever want except for the two Mario & Luigi titles which are still on my want list. So it's going to be easy to skip something like Mario Kart DS with its less than ideal visual output, since playing on the big screen at a higher resolution was the only reason I was looking forward to such games.

Edited by Atariboy

Nah, the DS ones can still all be had NIB for $20 each, fortunately. But yeah, good call on DoS, I forgot that it uses the touch screen at rare (mainly just boss) occasions. The second and third games in the DS line do not use it at all though, fortunately.

• Like 1

Is this guy zooming in his video with editing software for YouTube, or is there a zoom option with the Virtual Console software?

How it appears after being zoomed in is what I'd consider ideal for Yoshi's Island DS. Both screens are on the same display and as large as possible with regard to aspect ratio and maintaining the correct screen gap. The DS themed border, while I'd prefer just plain black, would be something I could live with if it just occupied otherwise empty space.

Edited by Atariboy