IGNORED

Lynx HSC 2014 Round 2 Hard Drivin'

roadrunner

Hard Drivin'

post-22103-0-30856000-1391250632_thumb.png post-22103-0-26440000-1391250652_thumb.png

Settings - your choice of Transmission Type

Track - Speed or Stunt - Players Choice

Deadline to post scores is March 1st 2014

Lynx HSC Record - None yet!

Side Challenge -

Play another version of Hard Drivin' for 1 bonus point.
One point per person

132,582 (Amstrad CPC) darthkur +1 point
52,237 (Genesis) 108 Stars +1 point
29,112 (Arcade/MAME) roadrunner +1 point
790 (Commodore 64) BillyHW +1 point
295 (Arcade/MAME) jblenkle +1 point

Final High Scores -

316,971 BillyHW +11 points +3 points
236,957 LX.NET +10 points
40,220 sirlynxalot +9 points
38,708 108 Stars +8 points
15,877 MrBland +7 points
13,510 roadrunner +6 points
2,757 darthkur +5 points
2,324 jblenkle +4 points

Current Season Point Standings -

108 Stars 15
LX.NET 11
PFG 9000 10
Tempest2k 10
BillyHW 8
roadrunner 7
darthkur 6
jblenkle 5
oyamafamily 1

Link to manual scan - kinda hard to read, ok very hard to read.

http://atariage.com/manual_thumbs.html?SoftwareLabelID=1852

Any corrections please post.

Edited by roadrunner

I used to be a big fan of this arcade game, and put a lot of quarters in it back in the day. It'll be interesting to try the Lynx version for the first time. Most home ports were atrocious, and I can't figure out how to get the MAME version to work (setting up the controls is a bitch, and I could never figure it out). This is a game that really needs a arcade cab with a steering wheel, gear shift, and gas pedal. Plus, back when it was around, the home systems at the time really couldn't handle the 3D. However, Stunts on the PC (DOS) was a fun game along the same lines.

Good choice of game. I actually hate this port, but I'm really looking forward to playing it. Hopefully putting in some time with it will give me a better appreciation for it. Does it matter if we take the speed track or the stunt track? And does this game give you points, or are we playing for best time?

Good choice of game. I actually hate this port, but I'm really looking forward to playing it. Hopefully putting in some time with it will give me a better appreciation for it. Does it matter if we take the speed track or the stunt track? And does this game give you points, or are we playing for best time?

The game gives points so that's how we'll score it.

But you need to get 10k to make it to the high score table.

I'm not sure how many of us will get that high, I know I won't.

Some of us will probably have to press pause to get a pic of the score.

This game has never been played before in this HSC so it's good

to work out the kinks on how to score or play it. :)

Edited by roadrunner

I used to be a big fan of this arcade game, and put a lot of quarters in it back in the day. It'll be interesting to try the Lynx version for the first time. Most home ports were atrocious, and I can't figure out how to get the MAME version to work (setting up the controls is a bitch, and I could never figure it out). This is a game that really needs a arcade cab with a steering wheel, gear shift, and gas pedal. Plus, back when it was around, the home systems at the time really couldn't handle the 3D. However, Stunts on the PC (DOS) was a fun game along the same lines.

Yeah, setting up the controls on mame took me awhile to figure out.

Maybe someone can explain this better but the turn key is key 1

I think brake was key S

I'm using a wireless PS2 controller.

I got it to play and I'm doing better at it than the Lynx version.

edit - your cars brakes might be stuck, try holding the A or Q key.

This happens to me when I load mame up again to play this game.

I seen a youtube video that someone else had the brakes stuck.

post-22103-0-82267000-1391303010_thumb.png

post-22103-0-53763300-1391303024_thumb.png

Edited by roadrunner

My first score. Manual transmission. Did about a lap and half on the speed track. This is quite an ambitious effort, but the Lynx resolution is a bit too low for Hard Drivin'. I can hardly make anything out.

BTW, does Phantom Photon exist in the arcade version?

post-31666-0-70985200-1391365305.png

Edited by BillyHW

I see how to select the track now, straight for speed and turn right for stunt.

I'll leave the track choice up to the player. :)

I'll update the first post.

Is there any way to switch into Neutral on the Lynx version?

Also, regarding the loop. In a real-world physics scenario, how fast would you have to be going to actually complete the loop without falling? ... Gosh I suppose I shouldn't be lazy and try to work it out myself. It's been a while since physics class, but here goes:

centripetal force at top of loop = downward force due to gravity

m*v^2/r = mg

v = sqrt(g*r)

But now I don't know r. The manual says to be going 60 mph to complete the loop. So I guess I could calculate the radius in reverse instead.

r = v^2/g

r = (60mph)^2/(9.81 m/s^2)

r = (26.82m/s)^2/(9.81m/s^2)

r = 73.32 m.

Which seems a bit large. That means the top of the loop would be 146.64 m above the ground. That's a big effing loop, about the size of the world's largest Ferris wheels. And you'd have to make sure that you'd be going at least 60 mph at the peak of the loop, so you'd have to make sure your car had enough power to counteract any deceleration due to the climb up the loop.

Alternatively, the manual might have meant that you had to enter the loop at 60 mph and then you could coast through it in neutral. I could re-calculate the radius in that case, without any frictions. Then you'd just need enough gas to counteract any frictions.

Are you in college, or some sort of engineer or physicist? That's some pretty intense math, and I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the subject, at least while I was in school.

No, not an engineer, but I did study math back in the day, with a minor in physics. But this isn't anything that a high school physics student couldn't do, if they did their homework.

Another interesting question to ask is if the manual meant that you had to be going 60 mph going into the loop, and then you could coast through in neutral, how big would the loop be?

So assuming no frictions like air resistance, friction with the ground, friction in the engine/transmission/bearings etc...

1. Kinetic energy going into the loop at the bottom = Gravitational potential energy at the top of the loop + Kinetic energy at the top of the loop

0.5mv1^2 = mgh + 0.5mv2^2

v1^2 = 2gh + v2^2

We also have as before:

2. centripetal force at top of loop = downward force due to gravity

m*v2^2/r = mg

v2 = sqrt(0.5*g*h), since r = 0.5h

Subbing 2. into 1. gives:

v1^2 = 2gh + 0.5*g*h

v1^2 = 4gr + gr

r = v1^2/5g

r = (60 mph)^2/5g

r = (26.8224 m/s)^2/(5*9.81m/s^2)

r = 26.8224^2/(5*9.81) m

r = 14.67 m.

Or a top-of-the-loop height of 29.34 m, or about 8.9 storeys. Think of a 9 story building. That seems much more like the size of the loop we are seeing in Hard Drivin'.

Incidentally the speed you'd be going at the top of the loop would be:

v2 = sqrt(g*r) = sqrt (9.81m/s^2 * 29.34m) = 17 m/s = 61.2 kph = 38 mph

(Can someone check my calcs to see if I've made a mistake somewhere?)

So who wants to try it in their real car? :D

Edited by BillyHW

Hey folks, I guess I must have done pretty well, cause I got to the "Championship Lap", unfortunately I messed it up real bad, plowing through the signs telling you to go to the stunt track and going ahead to the speed track, mostly cause I wasn't expecting them and had taken the speed track on all previous laps. Then I was so discombobulated that I had my worst lap ever. I managed to make it to the finish and see the blue car (Phantom Photon?) turn in from the stunt track ahead of me and win. But the points counter stopped for all of this. I'm not sure if there would have been points if I did the stunt track like I was supposed to, or if I beat the blue car.

Also, there's an easter egg if you hit the cow it will moo. Does anyone know if there are any other easter eggs or secrets?

This is clearly not the best Hard Drivin' port, there just aren't enough pixels on the Lynx to do this game properly. I'm also a little disappointed that there's no instant replay music, I really like that track in the arcades. Still impressive that they even tried to get this running on the Lynx, and managed to get an actual game up and running.

post-31666-0-97956600-1392598110.png

• Like 1