IGNORED

What's the DEAL with the SGM from Opcode Games?

ATASCI

Hi Guys

Thanks for the recent reply regarding the SGM from Opcode Games. I have received feedback from some atariage members telling me that they have paid for their SGM and have not received anything including a response for that matter: "What a surprise".

I have signed up on their list as well; however, I have yet to receive an acknowledgement as to when they are going to be available and how to obtain one for that matter.

I don't want to discredit Opcode Games, but I think taking people's money and not delivering on the goods is FRAUD; " Don't you think?"

Nonetheless, an email to customers does not cost money. For those who received one, congratulations, but "where are the games to follow for the SGM?"

I would not be surprised if legal action has delayed the SGM from continuing to be manufactured.

A follow up response from Opcode Games would be nice..........

A big SYNTAX ERROR! for Opcode Games on this matter!

• Like 1

I don't want to discredit Opcode Games, but I think taking people's money and not delivering on the goods is FRAUD; " Don't you think?"

Er, you discredited them in that very same sentence. It's hard to come off looking like the victim when you throw the first punch.

I have to agree with theloon. Eduardo is a stand-up guy. He may be having problems, but would never instigate such a thing. If you were to see the amazing, top-of-the-line products he puts out, you would understand that he is a perfectionist who aims to deliver very beautiful products to we, the fans of his work. Members in this community who've bought from him know that he has a passion for the 8-bit community, and that he wants to see through the evolution of the brilliant game system that brought us all here to this place.

Just take yourself a look at what the 7800 community has been going through with this "XM" thing. After you read through about 4 years worth of threads, then maybe you can make a case about what it means to be long-suffering.

• Like 3

I have to agree with theloon. Eduardo is a stand-up guy. He may be having problems, but would never instigate such a thing. If you were to see the amazing, top-of-the-line products he puts out, you would understand that he is a perfectionist who aims to deliver very beautiful products to we, the fans of his work. Members in this community who've bought from him know that he has a passion for the 8-bit community, and that he wants to see through the evolution of the brilliant game system that brought us all here to this place.

Just take yourself a look at what the 7800 community has been going through with this "XM" thing. After you read through about 4 years worth of threads, then maybe you can make a case about what it means to be long-suffering.

Yes, considering that with Eduardo, he has genuinely stepped away from the scene... unlike the "XM" thing where the person responsible is all over Facebook's Atari forum hawking his book and calendar but seems to be hiding from AtariAge.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the all responses which has enlightened me on the situation with Opcode Games. According to some of the comments I received from this forum, I tip my hat for the wonderful accomplishments that Eduardo has done over the years. In fact, I will go that much further and say it's wonderful to see someone as passionate as Eduardo to deliver such outstanding products that keep the 8 bit systems alive.

However, make no mistake, despite what personal problems one has or is going through at the moment does not warrant the fact that he/she can abandon their customers and leave them hanging with nothing but hope. After all we are not trading school lunch or hockey cards. This involves money and it is Opcode Games obligation is to keep their customers up to date: "At least that".

After all you wouldn't give money to a contractor that is going to renovate your home and than doesn't show up because of personal problems and hope that he/she completes the job one day. We all have our ups and downs, but business is business, and your personal life should not get in between the two: "The optics are not good, know what I mean".

I, personally, want one of these SGM from Opcode Games, but I can't send money to someone who can't even return one email to me regarding anything that pertains to the SGM. In fact, I am not alone, many others have tried to email and have the same results: "Six months for some".

All we ask is for some respect, an email does not cost money. I am sure he has access to a computer: "Who is hosting the website?" I am sure the person hosting the site can give us an update.

Nonetheless, I hope he does get his issues resolved. For the SGM is a really cool peripheral and adds new life the Colecovision.

On a positive note, it's cool you guys support Eduardo and believe that he will do good for his loyal fans. I don't know Eduardo, and I want to believe that he is a stand up guy, but I would like an acknowledgement first before I send my hard working cash to a paypal account and live with only the premise of hope that I will receive my SGM one day.

Long live Colecovision & Opcode Games

Edited by ATASCI
  • Like 1

Eduardo is a genuinely nice guy, who I've met a couple times. This is not a bash on him though, because what he's endeavored to do with a 30 year old dead system is pretty amazing. But there's a good reason I haven't bought the SGM, and it's just that he hasn't been very productive project wise in the last several years. Honestly, after he had a gigantic meltdown on this forum a few years ago, I figured he was done forever but did return. So my point is that anyone who has been following his work over the years cannot be truly surprised if he falls off the map for quite a long time, and it's really that reason that I have passed on SGM. Not saying the SGM stuff is over his head, but sometimes these things are. He was putting out the more simpler SG-1000 ports on CV at a fairly regular clip before he took on this project.

Edited by Greg2600

Eduardo is a genuinely nice guy, who I've met a couple times. This is not a bash on him though, because what he's endeavored to do with a 30 year old dead system is pretty amazing. But there's a good reason I haven't bought the SGM, and it's just that he hasn't been very productive project wise in the last several years. Honestly, after he had a gigantic meltdown on this forum a few years ago, I figured he was done forever but did return. So my point is that anyone who has been following his work over the years cannot be truly surprised if he falls off the map for quite a long time, and it's really that reason that I have passed on SGM. Not saying the SGM stuff is over his head, but sometimes these things are. He was putting out the more simpler SG-1000 ports on CV at a fairly regular clip before he took on this project.

In terms of SGM games, Eduardo ported Thexder and King's Valley for Team Pixelboy, and he also ported Rollerball for CollectorVision, so I wouldn't say he's been less active. He just worked for other parties than his own Opcode Games label. But it's true that he didn't have much of a chance to work on anything in 2013, except the SGM itself. The trials and tribulations of real life kept him away from the hobby.

Except many of us had no idea that Eduardo had this history. Bottom line, it takes almost no effort to show up, say sorry, and promise follow through by a certain date.

I don't want to sound like I'm beating a dead horse but the reality of the situation is that's exactly what I'm going to do here. I've already expressed my frustrations in the much longer thread about this issue but maybe if this board floods with a little "constructive criticism" we may actually get something like an offer to get a refund or an SGM in the mail for a payment I made on September 27, 2012. I realize that many of you hold him in high regard and I have nothing against Eduardo personally but many people are also sugar coating the fact that he disappeared with our money for over a year with no explanation. That's not the definition of something an honest person would do.

Let's pretend you bid on one of my games on Ebay and I decided to not send it out or give you any reasons for not doing so, you would have a case opened up within days demanding the product or your money back. I've been patient for over a year, it's starting to wear thin and I'm certainly not going to just dismiss a loss of $95 especially when, ad nauseum, he's putting them on Ebay and mailing two or three to other people before I get one.

This is the ColecoVision forum, the only place I know where I can go to vent my frustrations to an otherwise great community about a pertinent and relatable topic. I'm not going to come here every day and repeat the same thing but I certainly will check in often as my limits of customer service are tested.

• Like 3

I don't want to sound like I'm beating a dead horse but the reality of the situation is that's exactly what I'm going to do here. I've already expressed my frustrations in the much longer thread about this issue but maybe if this board floods with a little "constructive criticism" we may actually get something like an offer to get a refund or an SGM in the mail for a payment I made on September 27, 2012. I realize that many of you hold him in high regard and I have nothing against Eduardo personally but many people are also sugar coating the fact that he disappeared with our money for over a year with no explanation. That's not the definition of something an honest person would do.

Let's pretend you bid on one of my games on Ebay and I decided to not send it out or give you any reasons for not doing so, you would have a case opened up within days demanding the product or your money back. I've been patient for over a year, it's starting to wear thin and I'm certainly not going to just dismiss a loss of $95 especially when, ad nauseum, he's putting them on Ebay and mailing two or three to other people before I get one.

This is the ColecoVision forum, the only place I know where I can go to vent my frustrations to an otherwise great community about a pertinent and relatable topic. I'm not going to come here every day and repeat the same thing but I certainly will check in often as my limits of customer service are tested.

I agree with you and even though I got mine way back its still very upsetting to me .

Edited by AtariBrian

I am not sure who you think you will reach with multiple posts though, his logon says he hasn't been on since september of 2013. I guess it is possible he is looking at the boards as a guest but I doubt it.

He is a one man operation so it is not like someone else can take up the slack.

I do feel for you though and am glad I said no to waiting for the sticker

I am not sure who you think you will reach with multiple posts though, his logon says he hasn't been on since september of 2013. I guess it is possible he is looking at the boards as a guest but I doubt it.

He is a one man operation so it is not like someone else can take up the slack.

I do feel for you though and am glad I said no to waiting for the sticker

Honestly, I don't think I am going to reach anybody but it feels good to talk about it and see that there are others in the same predicament, lol. I needed to vent, I vented and now I wait again. I have a great family, a great job and great friends and that's all that really matters in this world. A piece of plastic is pretty far down on my list of concerns but never the less a concern when I have a few free moments.

Hi folks

Once again, thank you all for your replies regarding my concerns with the SGM.

With that said, we all know that Eduardo's achievements are much to be desired, and we thank him for his continuing efforts to keep one of the best 8 bit game consoles of its time alive and well. From the packaging to the hardware the product looks and plays amazing from what I have seen and heard.

I want to let the members of this forum know that I started this thread because I have a Colecovision that is in perfect working order and still looks new like the day I purchased it. I was excited to hear that the expansion module that Coleco was to release, but never did, is now available through Opcode Games; thanks to Eduardo.

With that said, I took the appropriate measures through the Opcode Games website to sign up for this wonderful peripheral, but I was soon to be disappointed by the lack of communication by Opcode Games itself: "Not sure why?"

Anyways, I don't want to bash Eduardo. I just would like someone at Opcode Games to let their customers, who have paid, and for those who want an SGM to be given some confidence that all is well and a new batch is going to be released very soon for those who want one.

That's it! Nothing else. Not asking for much are we?

After all, if I could go to Best Buy and purchase one, I would do so without bothering Eduardo.

Okay than......we have an understanding of each other now.