IGNORED

What's the DEAL with the SGM from Opcode Games?

ATASCI

Hi folks

Once again, thank you all for your replies regarding my concerns with the SGM.

With that said, we all know that Eduardo's achievements are much to be desired, and we thank him for his continuing efforts to keep one of the best 8 bit game consoles of its time alive and well. From the packaging to the hardware the product looks and plays amazing from what I have seen and heard.

I want to let the members of this forum know that I started this thread because I have a Colecovision that is in perfect working order and still looks new like the day I purchased it. I was excited to hear that the expansion module that Coleco was to release, but never did, is now available through Opcode Games; thanks to Eduardo.

With that said, I took the appropriate measures through the Opcode Games website to sign up for this wonderful peripheral, but I was soon to be disappointed by the lack of communication by Opcode Games itself: "Not sure why?"

Anyways, I don't want to bash Eduardo. I just would like someone at Opcode Games to let their customers, who have paid, and for those who want an SGM to be given some confidence that all is well and a new batch is going to be released very soon for those who want one.

That's it! Nothing else. Not asking for much are we?

After all, if I could go to Best Buy and purchase one, I would do so without bothering Eduardo.

Okay than......we have an understanding of each other now.

I am not sure if you realize but Opcode Games is just Eduardo, there is no someone just him.

I am not sure if you realize but Opcode Games is just Eduardo, there is no someone just him.

Well not necessarily. There are numerous others, some here on AtariAge, who have helped or taken on parts of production of Opcode Games' releases such as artwork for boxes, manual and labels to styrofoam packaging for the SGM, to in-game music, etc., etc.

When it comes to finally packaging everything up when it is ready to go, then I think it is a one man operation unless his wife helps him out.

Edited by NIAD

Well not necessarily. There are numerous others, some here on AtariAge, who have helped or taken on parts of production of Opcode Games' releases such as artwork for boxes, manual and labels to styrofoam packaging for the SGM, to in-game music, etc., etc.

When it comes to finally packaging everything up when it is ready to go, then I think it is a one man operation unless his wife helps him out.

yeah I guess that is true I wasn't really thinking about everyone that helps him produce stuff. I was just more or less thinking of people that actually pay attention to the website. I guess he might have someone who helps him there too but it usually seems to be just him changing things

yeah I guess that is true I wasn't really thinking about everyone that helps him produce stuff. I was just more or less thinking of people that actually pay attention to the website. I guess he might have someone who helps him there too but it usually seems to be just him changing things

I can confirm that Eduardo's really a one-guy operation.

I can confirm that Eduardo's really a one-guy operation.

I can confirm that most homebrewer's really a one-guy operation.

Even CollectorVision! Wich is now mostly run by Toby

I only take care of communication with programers and I'm also the projects leader

Otherwise, CollectorVision is also a one-guy operation

Eduardo has been is alot of stress this past year

People keep asking when it's gonna be available? and answering all questions etc..

Making the actual hardware, getting the PCBs done, taking care of the production, shipping

Do you really realize how much works is involved here?

I understand the people who paid and did not received their SGM yet

But all I can say is, no worries! Eduardo will come back here and wil honored your order

Afterall, you wait about 30 years to get the SGM, just give the man some time.... he deserve it anyway

it was a really ambitious project for a one-man operation ... no?

Sometime, it's though to be an active homebrewer ;)

Cheers!

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 5

I agree, I have the SGM . It's really impressive piece of work. It looks, feels and works just like any colecovision product. To do that many of them is stressful and to have shipped out, (I can't confirm) but I heard close to 200 of these things already.

Give him a break, You'll get it and really,, is $95 is too much to risk. I got a parking ticket the other day for $60 and I have nothing to show for it.

For the $95 I got a really cool homebrew product to use. Well worth the wait.

Edited by digress
  • Like 3

I know they require a lot of work, I know he literally went broke from the first SGM batch. He said 100 units would be sold, shipping in August 2013. It's February now, and he's not said a word like 6 months. Some of these guys have been waiting for a year or longer. If he can't get them done, he should offer to return their money. It's not Kickstarter where you have to know you're donation could get you nothing back.

This is why I don't pre-order something that isn't shortly ready to go/ship. These problems always come up.

I can confirm that most homebrewer's really a one-guy operation.

Even CollectorVision! Wich is now mostly run by Toby

I only take care of communication with programers and I'm also the projects leader

Otherwise, CollectorVision is also a one-guy operation

Eduardo has been is alot of stress this past year

People keep asking when it's gonna be available? and answering all questions etc..

Making the actual hardware, getting the PCBs done, taking care of the production, shipping

Do you really realize how much works is involved here?

I understand the people who paid and did not received their SGM yet

But all I can say is, no worries! Eduardo will come back here and wil honored your order

Afterall, you wait about 30 years to get the SGM, just give the man some time.... he deserve it anyway

it was a really ambitious project for a one-man operation ... no?

Sometime, it's though to be an active homebrewer ;)

Cheers!

All that thing are really true of course. But sorry, that is hardly understandable and excusable is the lack of communication. And , apparently, the fact he puts SGM on Ebay instead of sending them to whom already paid. Even the one with transparent case , i guess it would been easy to them in a black case and send to customer that waiting for their hardware.

At least he could put something on its website to explain the situation. I think most of SGM customers are ready to wait if they knew what is going on.

I guess Eduardo has financial problems , and it surely the reason he puts SGM on ebay. And we can all understand that. But he has internet access visibly , so no excuse to no communicate.

For the rest , i wish the best to Eduardo what ever problems he has , i hope they will be solved quickly.

• Like 2

All that thing are really true of course. But sorry, that is hardly understandable and excusable is the lack of communication. And , apparently, the fact he puts SGM on Ebay instead of sending them to whom already paid. Even the one with transparent case , i guess it would been easy to them in a black case and send to customer that waiting for their hardware.

At least he could put something on its website to explain the situation. I think most of SGM customers are ready to wait if they knew what is going on.

I guess Eduardo has financial problems , and it surely the reason he puts SGM on ebay. And we can all understand that. But he has internet access visibly , so no excuse to no communicate.

For the rest , i wish the best to Eduardo what ever problems he has , i hope they will be solved quickly.

Good points Youki!

Again, I have no problems w/ the delay! My issue arises when you have someone get an email correspondence about the current status of the *second run* units WHEN the current *first run* peeps are

still left in the dark!

Why oh why just not send out a mass email to EVERYBODY to explain the current situation...

I've been somewhat laid back in this situation. But the more and more I'm on this Opcode section of this forum, I feel my B.P. rising...

Umm.. yeah, $95 is a good chunk of change and really don't get your parking ticket analogy but okay?

My point is you could blow $95 easily on a movie & burgers or something and have nothing to show for it.

The fact that over 100 possibly 200 have been shipped proves he will deliver... eventually.

Edited by digress

Not to be too pushy...yet...but doesn't someone here have his phone number or address?

Maybe one of the homebrewers could give him a call at home and get a definitive answer. Maybe he is back in Brazil for good?

This is just a suggestion to help clear the air..I received my SGM in the first run.

I like Eduardo, but I think he bit off more than he could chew with the design, distribution, and support of this device. Making an add-on like this is like creating an entirely new system, and he chose to shoulder the burden of that system himself, with little outside assistance. It's proven to be too much for him to handle. What he probably should have done instead is copyright the design and license it out to other manufacturers, so that even if he couldn't support the machine, someone else could.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this has gotten ridiculous. I paid for my XM in 2010 and am still waiting patiently. I have also paid for and received the first run of SGM. You all have to remember that the homebrew community is done mostly as a hobby. Real life gets in the way sometimes. If its job, family, health or some other reason bashing the person is not helping in any way. My advice to people is if you have no patience then don't pay for a preorder.

Ok this has gotten ridiculous. I paid for my XM in 2010 and am still waiting patiently. I have also paid for and received the first run of SGM. You all have to remember that the homebrew community is done mostly as a hobby. Real life gets in the way sometimes. If its job, family, health or some other reason bashing the person is not helping in any way. My advice to people is if you have no patience then don't pay for a preorder.

Uhm, maybe you should read the other topics about this? It's ALL been discussed before...

NONSENSE. Once you have other people's money, it's not a hobby, it's a business, and you have an obligation to get it done or give the money back. Otherwise, it's STEALING. Unless Eduardo is dead or in the ICU, it's unconscionable not to get this done in a timely fashion or AT LEAST explain why. You wait patiently while years pass by and people drop dead waiting for their product.
Edited by DoctorTom
  • Like 3

Ass kissing like this is absurd. I customer has a right to expect an item they pay for in a somewhat timely manner, regardless if it is homebrew or not. There are no free passes in life.

• Like 1

Home brews aren't the only area where this has happened. Back in 1997 I prepaid for a Magus II board from Intellivision Productions Inc., and they were never able to produce them. Didn't get a refund from them until 1999. So companies do it also.

Here is a copy of the refund check:

refund.jpg

Edited by evg2000
  • Like 1