IGNORED

Colecovision controller mini pcb for Super Famicom NTT Data - interest list

grips03

Thanks for responding. I got outbid last night for a Famicom Network controller that was already modded for the colecovision so I bought from Japan the Famicom Network controller. Should get it in a few weeks. But it seems I found out about this PCB board too late. I have PM grips03 if there is any chance to buy another two but I guess by the sound of it there all gone. I am awaiting a PM from grips03. I hope more can be made otherwise I have just bought a paper weight, thanks

Not a problem, thanks for renewing interest in this controller!

I'd gladly buy it from you if you don't want it, I believe you outbid me by $4.00 dollars ;)

• Sad 1

SFC NTT Data wiring recommendations

for Frontline use

< = Front line Left , button 3

> = Front line Right, button 2/right button

for Rollerball game

left shoulder button = Left button

right shoulder button = right button

C and . and recessed button = not connected

Y Green = Left button

B Yellow = Right button

X Blue = button 3

A Red = button 4

post-27883-0-12443000-1398177488_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'd be interested in another pcb if possible.

Very happy with the SFC, would like to try a FC next..

Cheers-

How do you like the d-pad fell of the Super Famicom controller?

Does the d-pad feel like a regular super Nintendo controller d-pad?

Somehow and I could be wrong but the Famicom controller d-pad feels a bit shallow.

I will have to get my hands on a NES controller to see if there's a difference.

Better directions to use for SFC NTT Data - USE AT OWN RISK, however I did already build a controller using this guide

I have been able to reduce the cuts on the controller PCB

DO NOT CUT YELLOW AREAS in picture 5 and 6 below

only cut red areas, this seperates ground/CV-PIN8 and common/select planes/CV-PIN5

green box = common/select/CV-pin5

black box = ground/CV-pin8

red cricle in picture 5 is a small drill hole - this small hole is the wire for left fire button. You can see this soldered to the front of the pcb on the right side. This is in the area we isolated with the red cuts. Just scratch away solder mask and solder.

Use Kynar 28 (better) or 30 awg wire

a) cut around 40 6 inch wires, expose wire on one side

b) solder wire to SMD pads on controller's PCB, start with pads higher on the board and work down

c) cover with Kapton tape, make sure to keep wires in order, otherwise you will be confused when trying to wire them to mini pcb

Wire to the back of the min PCB, the side without diodes - write down on piece of paper the pin order when looking at back of PCB. I mark certain pin with a Sharpie (marker) so I can remember what pin is what.

Make sure db9 pins are to the north

cut and solder wires to mini PCB, so that the mini pcb ends up where I have it in picture 1

SFC NTT Data wiring recommendations

for Frontline use <--- this is optional as you will find 4 button layout works better than these arrows

< = Front line Left , button 3

> = Front line Right, button 2/right button

for Rollerball game <--optional as left and right buttons are already present in the 4 button area of the game pad

left shoulder button = Left button

right shoulder button = right button

In picture one you see how I take one side of button and just wire it directly to the mini PCB

C and . and recessed button = not connected

Highly recomended to wire like this, as it feels the best when playing games and it matches to how the red cuts are make to the controller PCB

Y Green = Left button

B Yellow = Right button

X Blue = button 3

A Red = button 4

I have a repair near keypad button 4, in picture 4, this is a fix to an error. Please make sure to cut like picture 5 below.

post-27883-0-38173300-1399224048_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-38116300-1399224056_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-58540800-1399224069_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-35946200-1399228290_thumb.png

Edited by grips03

since i build one by my self and i will not build more a will put the one you did on ebay i will keep only one for me cause i dont use it i play with the famicom network all the time

thanks for all the great work you did on those mini pcb and you gave me the chance to realise a dream of modding those wonderfull controller for colecovision

since i build one by my self and i will not build more a will put the one you did on ebay i will keep only one for me cause i dont use it i play with the famicom network all the time

thanks for all the great work you did on those mini pcb and you gave me the chance to realise a dream of modding those wonderfull controller for colecovision

I'm done with them too, takes too much time.

Hi Grips03 & Chart45, I read the last post. Will either one of you be selling the SFC modded controller as I am interested, thanks

Let me know guys, thanks

I just sold this controller. I'm done making them for now. Perhaps later in 2014 I might revisit.

I'll still sell PCBs, but they just take too much time to make.

Edited by grips03

• 1 year later...

Just built one of these and they are beautiful! A bonafide PITA to make but the end result is so worth it.

There are a couple of items that need to be mentioned when I was working out some issues with grips03. In addition to the instuctions on posts 86 and 89, there is a correction and a couple of items of note:

-on the IC pinouts diagram, it said to wire LEFT (the direction, not the button) to ground. This is not necessary. It will already be terminated at ground. Just wire that pin to L on the mini PCB.

-when wiring the Left Button (or Y on the Famicom NTT), wire the IC pin to the mini PCB (A). Then wire the drill hole (red hollow circle in the images - scratch off solder mask on the front of the controller board and solder there in the area isolated by the cuts) to the ground (black hollow box) on the backside of the controller board.

-if removing the ICs compromised any of the pins, you can wire to the holes on the board that correspond to the button/direction you're working with. You may have to follow some traces to find out where. Again, scratch off the solder mask to expose the copper and solder there.

Thanks grips! You saved my wrist and forearm!

Pardon the thread necromancy but this is the most relevant place for this IMHO.

post-42790-0-69987600-1439569905_thumb.png

post-42790-0-40871300-1439569906_thumb.png

post-42790-0-89212200-1439569908_thumb.png

post-42790-0-42870000-1439569929_thumb.jpg

Edited by cabes
  • Like 3

This is awesome—and I'm confident that this is still a relevant topic—so thanks for posting! I never did get my Famicom controller to work, so I just snatched up an NTT Data controller for a steal! I was just perusing this thread yesterday in order to get the wiring scheme down. Hopefully I'll have time to tackle this project next week, as I really need a D-pad for all those Sega and Konami conversions!

Thanks again for the pointers, and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

I don't know if I could do that at the moment with the limited time that I have. This build was actually done over a few days. grips03 said he can make one in about 5 hours! That's at least half the time it took me to make one. It's pretty time consuming.

Do you have any experience with modding and soldering? It might be fun to tackle this. I've consolidated the instructions into a word document. They're basically grips instructions from posts 86 and 89 with my additions from post 95.

This is awesome—and I'm confident that this is still a relevant topic—so thanks for posting! I never did get my Famicom controller to work, so I just snatched up an NTT Data controller for a steal! I was just perusing this thread yesterday in order to get the wiring scheme down. Hopefully I'll have time to tackle this project next week, as I really need a D-pad for all those Sega and Konami conversions!

Thanks again for the pointers, and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks! I'm pleased to be here. I've cherished my old consoles and computers and I'm glad to be a part of this. The only thing I'm wondering is what took me so long to find this place!

Edited by cabes