IGNORED

Youtube on the Wii U's Youtube app

Atariboy

I prefer using the internet channel if I want to watch a YouTube video on my Wii U. But many videos give an error message stating that this video isn't available on this device when accessing the site directly via the browser.

I don't like the Wii U's YouTube app. It's confusing, crashes a lot (Where as the browser is solid as a rock), quality seems no better, and most of all, my search results often don't even seem to match what I get from the website itself. For instance, there was a season 5 episode of Wings I wanted to watch last night. Searching for Wings season 5 should bring these results up (Lots of irrelevant hits, but every season 5 episode of Wings is there just the same).

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Wings%20season%205&sm=3

The guy with all the videos for that season that's the third search result won't play via the Wii U's internet browser and gives that error. But nothing relevant even shows up when searching with these same terms with the YouTube app itself where they probably would be able to play if I could reach them (I've never gotten the not supported message from the YouTube app itself)?

Instead, hardly anything that even seems relevant pops up as results for most of my searches. I've noticed this issue before, is there some setting I can select to get more relevant results to my search terms?

I could type in Petula Clark at my PC right now, a popular British singer from the 60's, and get hundreds of relevant hits. But on the Wii U's YouTube app, I'm seemingly more likely to get a video of someone cutting their lawn for the top result (or if I'm lucky, 3 or 4 relevant results before something completely unrelated appears as I view my search results).

Edited by Atariboy

I'm not really sure why the YouTube app on Wii U is so awful. Quality is terrible and the video stutters. My router is literally a foot and a half away and my PS3, which runs the same version of YouTube, works like a champ. I have noticed in general that the Wii U seems to have slower download speeds. I have no idea why.

Quality isn't bad for me.

My only issue is the search function is half broken and the app sometimes backs out of a video on me. I'd stick to the Xbox 360's YouTube app but I need to do some security nonsense so Microsoft won't hand over my log-in info to the first person that calls and asks for it and I'm worried I can't since I don't have the email account anymore that I used several generations ago to create it.

So I've dragged my feet since I'm sure I have at least $500 of DLC tied to my account (I need to soon though since Toy Soldiers: Cold War is the next freebie).

Edited by Atariboy