IGNORED

Arcade Games You Want On the ColecoVision

VectorGamer

Arcade CV Games  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What arcade ports would you like see for CV?

• Donkey Kong 3
    • Any Pac-Man Yet To Be Released
    • Pole Position
    • Radar Scope
    • Zookeeper
    • Bosconian
    • Other
    • None
  2. 2. What arcade ports would you like to see redone?

• Time Pilot
    • Mappy
    • Rally-X
    • Dig Dug
    • Galaga
    • Other
    • None

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I voted Pole Position in the first part of the poll, mostly because we have a steering wheel controller that could be put to good use. ;)

For the second part of the poll, I voted Dig Dug, because the AtariSoft proto that's out there right now leaves much to be desired, and I'm sure the ColecoVision could do much better. I even did a comparative mockup a few years ago, which I'm attaching to this post. See below.

But I have to say there are many more arcade games that should be considered as great candidates for ports on ColecoVision:

- 1942 (I'd settle for a port of the MSX version)

- Arabian

- Asteroids

- Arkanoid (too bad Opcode seems to have given up on this one)

- Bubble Bobble

- Commando (it was released on the Atari 2600 and Intellivision, so why not the ColecoVision?)

- Crystal Castles (Roller Controller written all over this one)

- Gravitar

- Kangaroo

- Pengo (is Opcode still planning to release this one eventually?)

- Phoenix

- Pulsar (could have been released alongside other obscure arcade ports like Pepper II, back in the day)

- Satan's Hollow (I'm not a big fan of this game, but I know many people want to see it on the ColecoVision)

- Sheriff (old arcade game by Nintendo)

- Solomon's Key (I would love to play this on my CV!)

- Space Dungeon (although I think I would prefer a clone of this game with Asteroids-like controls...)

- Space War (or some kind of homebrew clone with exclusive new features)

- Super Off-Road

- Vanguard

- Wacko (another good candidate for the Roller Controller)

- Xevious

As far as ColecoVision games to re-do, I think the existing arcade ports are quite fine as they are, for the most part. But there are a few ColecoVision games (not necessarily arcade ports) that I would like to see redone from scratch:

- Chuck Norris Superkicks (Man, what an abysmal game! Could easely be redone much, much better.)

- Destructor (I would do a sequel with new features and different mission objectives for more variety.)

- Evolution (it's like they didn't even try to make a good game. I could do better.)

- Frogger II - Threeedeep (the CV version sucks, but I see some potential there for a good game.)

- Popeye (the CV version is actually pretty good all things considered, but the ColecoVision can do better IMHO.)

- Quest for Quintana Roo (this game absolutely needs to be redone with isometric graphics!!!)

- Sammy Lightfoot (would be more fun if it wasn't so clunky.)

- Sir Lancelot (if you're going to do a clone of Joust, don't make it largely inferior!)

- Tomarc The Barbarian (this game sucks so bad a 10-year-old could program a better remake.)

And just because nobody asked for it, here are the Atari 2600 games I'd like to see converted for ColecoVision:

- Crypts of Chaos

- Dragonstomper

- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (I would make this one an isometric game)

- Flash Gordon (actually quite a fun game once you get into it)

- Haunted House (or a clone with different mechanics and added features)

- Megamania

- Plaque Attack

- Pressure Cooker

- Raiders of the Lost Ark (a complete remake could be done in this case)

- Secret Quest (I actually enjoyed this game quite a lot!)

- Solaris

- Starmaster (or some kind of similar space simulator. A clone of Elite would be cool...)

- Tax Avoiders (the Atari 2600 game is absolute crap, but I see some potential for a fun remake.)

- Towering Inferno

'Nuff said. :)

post-7743-0-27383900-1467844873_thumb.png

I have merged these two threads since they were pretty much the same, both active, and it probably didn't make sense to have a general discussion thread in the Opcode forum anyway...

Continue discussion...

Zoo Keeper is a good one but I'd love to see Pole Position too. :)

Although already ported to other systems and it being questionable if its even possible on a CV.. Robotron 2084 and Tac-Scan. Sinistar too maybe.

I still hope to see Bezerk someday soon but at least Wizard of Wor is a dream come true whenever it's released.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

Mario Bros Arcade?

You're aware Mario Bros already exist on Colecovision and it's still a port of the Arcade?

I mean a redone Super Game Cartridge version with SGM support, as I'd like better sounds, correct colors, high score saving (if possible), and, as I'm sure we'd all like, and increase in difficulty.

- Tomarc The Barbarian (this game sucks so bad a 10-year-old could program a better remake.)

This as far as i know was supposed to be thundarr the barbarian. My favourite childhood adventure cartoon , well along with rocket robin hood and spiderman.

I would remake it as properly as thundarr or not bother.

Yes, many scene were reused in spiderman & rocket robin hood.

I would like to see defender of the crown but with rocket robin hood updated characters and scenario

We need a Rocket Robin Hood game. The cut-scenes wouldn't take much memory at all! ;)

• Like 1

Yes, many scene were reused in spiderman & rocket robin hood.

I would like to see defender of the crown but with rocket robin hood updated characters and scenario

There is an existing Rocket Robin Hood game and some miniatures as well as a very limited, unauthorized Mego doll. However, the licensing agent is stuck in the 70s and has no understanding or willingness to deal with modern times (crowd funding and other internet based things like social media) and instead asks for Star Trek level up front licence fees. I have no idea how the DVDs were ever released. It is a shame since it is the 50th anniversary...very frustrating that he'd rather make nothing than adapt. I'm sure the actual owners of the IP are clueless that he is squashing their IP.

I'm still stunned after all of these years (and it clearly being one of the most often requested titles) that we have yet to see a Zoo Keeper (Zookeeper) port attempted. It must be quite the challenge considering we never saw it back in the day or since on any home system.

I'm still stunned after all of these years (and it clearly being one of the most often requested titles) that we have yet to see a Zoo Keeper (Zookeeper) port attempted. It must be quite the challenge considering we never saw it back in the day or since on any home system.

I'm guessing it would be difficult, given how quickly, constantly the bricks change. It'd need the SGM, that's for sure.

I'm guessing it would be difficult, given how quickly, constantly the bricks change. It'd need the SGM, that's for sure.

Zookeeper is not the kind of game that fits the capabilities of the ColecoVision very well. There's a ton of animal sprites to manage, which would have to be displayed using tiles to minimize flicker. Not impossible, but the end result may not compare very well to the original arcade game.

Uh, Bill...Zoo Keeper did come out for a home system - the PlayStation 2 under the title Taito Legends. This compilation disc also included a nice version of Phoenix. But yeah, I'd love to see Zoo Keeper for the ColecoVision...Along with Eyes and Donkey Kong 2. And Wreck-It Ralph. And Razzmatazz.

Zookeeper is not the kind of game that fits the capabilities of the ColecoVision very well. There's a ton of animal sprites to manage, which would have to be displayed using tiles to minimize flicker. Not impossible, but the end result may not compare very well to the original arcade game.

I (and many other people from what I've seen) don't mind flicker, so that wouldn't be as much of an issue. Maybe Opcode could tackle this someday with their Super Game Cartridges.

I (and many other people from what I've seen) don't mind flicker, so that wouldn't be as much of an issue. Maybe Opcode could tackle this someday with their Super Game Cartridges.

Super Game Cartridges (or whatever other cartridge electronics anyone could come up with) cannot help to alleviate the basic graphic limitations of the ColecoVision hardware, especially where sprites are concerned. The SGM cannot help with that either.

Technically, I'm rather certain that Zookeeper could be done within the limits of a regular 32K ColecoVision cartridge. Someone just needs to go ahead and code the game.