IGNORED

CollectorVision 2014 Lineup

retroillucid

But what I can do if a programmer release his version of Mario Bros ?

Not much really

Or what if while I develop or produce a game and someone beat me and release it before me?

No much...

So by your saying, nobody should ever port Galaga to CV cause someone sold homebrew protos

We're not talking about an original game idea here, a game that no one of us own the rights

Don't get me wrong though, I understand your point of view too

You make a valid point, but there's still a problem in this specific case: If you make a wide release of your own version of Comic Bakery, then the game will become easier to dump. Someone could dump the CollectorVision version, put a copy of it in a new cartridge shell, put a fake "Opcode Labs Prototype" label on it, and try to pass off this bootleg as the real thing on eBay.

You make a valid point, but there's still a problem in this specific case: If you make a wide release of your own version of Comic Bakery, then the game will become easier to dump. Someone could dump the CollectorVision version, put a copy of it in a new cartridge shell, put a fake "Opcode Labs Prototype" label on it, and try to pass this bootleg as the real thing on eBay.

Surely this is stretching things a little too much. This argument could be applied to so many scenarios and at the end of the day it is up to the buyer to verify that a product is genuine before purchase. One could argue that one of the owners of the original 5 Opcode Labs Prototype carts could do the same.

If the version that CollectorVision releases is a completely new version/port of the game then it is likely to have characteristics that would clearly differentiate it from the Opcode prototype, i.e. differences (subtle or not) in graphics, sound and/or gameplay. Opcode has a YouTube video of his Comic Bakery prototype available so I would expect that it would be a relatively easy to know which version was which.

If the version that CollectorVision releases is a completely new version/port of the game then it is likely to have characteristics that would clearly differentiate it from the Opcode prototype, i.e. differences (subtle or not) in graphics, sound and/or gameplay.

That's really what I'm hoping. :)

Okay - just found out that there isn't a YouTube video of Opcode's Comic Bakery on-line. But I'm sure one could easily be made available :)

Is this the game we're talking about (not Opcode's - but Comic Bakery)?

Game looks boring. Just moving left and right turning on switch and killing raccoons. How is that fun?

Just something that come in my head.

If you do a complete rewrite of Comic Bakery , why not take the time , instead doing another game more interresting ?

Comic Bakery is a fun game but i think there are lot of other that could be more interresting on C.V.

Or it is a so enhanced version that in fact it will be totally different but just keeping the same theme... that would be great!

If you saw buying these prototypes as an investment you made a poor financial decision. There are much safer ways to invest your money. From a collecting point of view there will only ever be 5 of these prototypes. (unless opcode makes more) If you are worried about the money you put into it I would put it on ebay before the release of the batch by collectorvision. At this point you would likely still get what you put into it or possibly even more.

If you saw buying these prototypes as an investment you made a poor financial decision. There are much safer ways to invest your money. From a collecting point of view there will only ever be 5 of these prototypes. (unless opcode makes more) If you are worried about the money you put into it I would put it on ebay before the release of the batch by collectorvision. At this point you would likely still get what you put into it or possibly even more.

Well, I can't speak for others, but I bought some Opcode protos because I wanted them, and because I wanted to help Eduardo out with the SGM. I'm not all that worried about their value, not at this point anyhow. I'm more worried about honest CV fans falling for the shenanigans of con artists.

• Like 1

If you do a complete rewrite of Comic Bakery , why not take the time , instead doing another game more interresting ?

Comic Bakery is a fun game but i think there are lot of other that could be more interresting on C.V.

Or it is a so enhanced version that in fact it will be totally different but just keeping the same theme... that would be great!

Youki does make a great point. If CollectorVision was lucky enough to enlist the help of a programmer who is willing to do a game like Comic Bakery (a game that is definately not on many people's most-wanted list) completely from scratch, then why not let him code a game that everyone would love to see become reality? I can voice a few suggestions off the top of my head:

- Skiing (the famous Coleco vaporware title)

- Dracula (assuming Dale Wick would agree to let go of the project on his end)

- Mr Turtle (another vaporware title, which is completely open-ended in terms of design)

- Venture II (shouldn't be all that hard to program, and it would sell like hot cakes!)

- Pepper I (heck, I'll help with the design of this game myself!!!)

- Yars' Revenge (just for the fun of it!)

- Frostbite Arcade (I'll do all the graphics for this one if it helps to make it happen!)

- Pressure Cooker Arcade (again, I'll do all the graphics if required)

I could probably add a dozen more games to the above list, but I think you get the idea. Unless J-F and Tobie are completely in love with Comic Bakery, and are dead set on publishing it on the ColecoVision (just like I was dead set on releasing Module Man and The Black Onyx on the CV, so I know how that is) then perhaps we could all convince CollectorVision to do another game, one we all really want?

• Like 2

Youki does make a great point. If CollectorVision was lucky enough to enlist the help of a programmer who is willing to do a game like Comic Bakery (a game that is definately not on many people's most-wanted list) completely from scratch, then why not let him code a game that everyone would love to see become reality? I can voice a few suggestions off the top of my head:

- Skiing (the famous Coleco vaporware title)

- Dracula (assuming Dale Wick would agree to let go of the project on his end)

- Mr Turtle (another vaporware title, which is completely open-ended in terms of design)

- Venture II (shouldn't be all that hard to program, and it would sell like hot cakes!)

- Pepper I (heck, I'll help with the design of this game myself!!!)

- Yars' Revenge (just for the fun of it!)

- Frostbite Arcade (I'll do all the graphics for this one if it helps to make it happen!)

- Pressure Cooker Arcade (again, I'll do all the graphics if required)

I could probably add a dozen more games to the above list, but I think you get the idea. Unless J-F and Tobie are completely in love with Comic Bakery, and are dead set on publishing it on the ColecoVision (just like I was dead set on releasing Module Man and The Black Onyx on the CV, so I know how that is) then perhaps we could all convince CollectorVision to do another game, one we all really want?

I vote for Frostbite!!!! :) But why "arcade"? I'm not aware of an arcade version... is there????

I'm not the programmer, heck! I can't program a CV game :(

This was the choice of the programmer, not mine

I vote for Frostbite!!!! :) But why "arcade"? I'm not aware of an arcade version... is there????

No, but wouldn't it be fun to have an "INSERT COIN" message on the title screen, and a high score table? :P

I just have this vision of Frostbite for ColecoVision in my head, one that would take the Atari 2600 version and improve upon it in certain key areas. But it would still be the same game. :)

You make a valid point, but there's still a problem in this specific case: If you make a wide release of your own version of Comic Bakery, then the game will become easier to dump. Someone could dump the CollectorVision version, put a copy of it in a new cartridge shell, put a fake "Opcode Labs Prototype" label on it, and try to pass off this bootleg as the real thing on eBay.

Good point here too

How many of the 2014 releases are not MSX or SG-1000 ports? I realize that it is much more time intensive to code and publish an original game, but even a port from another system besides the MSX and SG-1000 would be a lot more attractive to me.

There is 2 orignal games , 1 MSX port , 2 SG1000 ports , C64 Ports

Etc.. Etc...

Youki does make a great point. If CollectorVision was lucky enough to enlist the help of a programmer who is willing to do a game like Comic Bakery (a game that is definately not on many people's most-wanted list) completely from scratch, then why not let him code a game that everyone would love to see become reality? I can voice a few suggestions off the top of my head:- Skiing (the famous Coleco vaporware title)- Dracula (assuming Dale Wick would agree to let go of the project on his end)- Mr Turtle (another vaporware title, which is completely open-ended in terms of design)- Venture II (shouldn't be all that hard to program, and it would sell like hot cakes!)- Pepper I (heck, I'll help with the design of this game myself!!!)- Yars' Revenge (just for the fun of it!)- Frostbite Arcade (I'll do all the graphics for this one if it helps to make it happen!)- Pressure Cooker Arcade (again, I'll do all the graphics if required)I could probably add a dozen more games to the above list, but I think you get the idea. Unless J-F and Tobie are completely in love with Comic Bakery, and are dead set on publishing it on the ColecoVision (just like I was dead set on releasing Module Man and The Black Onyx on the CV, so I know how that is) then perhaps we could all convince CollectorVision to do another game, one we all really want?

With all the beautiful graphics you're doing , you should take care of the design of those games

- Mr Turttle

- Skiing

- Dracula