IGNORED

CollectorVision 2014 Lineup

retroillucid

With all the beautiful graphics you're doing , you should take care of the design of those games

- Mr Turttle

- Skiing

- Dracula

For Mr Turtle and Dracula, the real challenge lies in the game's design more than the graphics, especially if you want to make them fit in standard 32K cartridges. For Skiing, it's all about the rendering engine for the animation of the trees and the oncoming flags. :D

They would all be fun projects to work on. :)

For Mr Turtle and Dracula, the real challenge lies in the game's design more than the graphics, especially if you want to make them fit in standard 32K cartridges. For Skiing, it's all about the rendering engine for the animation of the trees and the oncoming flags. :DThey would all be fun projects to work on. :)

I have re-done the Dracula's screen showed on the flyers

For Skiing, I have two screens almost done (1st one is complete)

If you ever need them, let me know and I will send them to you

Venture II (shouldn't be all that hard to program, and it would sell like hot cakes!)

This would be awesome. Especially with a mega cart and create instead of 3 maybe like 8 to 10 levels of rooms and make a ton of weird rooms. :lust: :lust:

Agreed, although a 128K MegaCart would probably be overkill. I would probably use my 64K Activision PCB for Venture II. Heck, the original venture is a 16K game, so you could already do a great sequel with many more rooms with just 32K. :D

I have re-done the Dracula's screen showed on the flyers

Have you ever seen the playable WIP that Dale Wick did of Dracula? It's rather close to the original presskit mockup, but there's an entire mansion to explore, and you could even go outside in a cemetery. The only trouble is that there wasn't much to do in the demo he showed me, except to collect little icons, and at the time Dale didn't seem to know where to go with it in terms of game design, which is why the game seems stuck in development hell. Hopefully he made progress in that regard, but I somehow doubt it, given that Dale is now into Reckless Wizard and his bowling game.

For Skiing, I have two screens almost done (1st one is complete)

If you ever need them, let me know and I will send them to you

For a game like Skiing, the motion engine and the graphics go hand-in-hand, so it could turn out slightly different from the presskit image. But if I tackle that project one day, I may still look you up. :)

Seems at least that my earlier post generated some good conversation with at least some understanding my point.

Just for clarify to all:

• As stated in my 1st post, I simply want any new release of Comic Bakery to be significantly different than the limited release; that should be a given.
  • The "bad precedent" I was referring to is the selling of games at a higher price to fund efforts only to later have someone else release the “exact same game” for a reduced price. It would be a bad precedent in that the gamers who once supported these efforts by buying these limited releases will cease to do so. The game simply needs to be significantly different. To be clear, people like myself are not buying these as an investment, but we also do not expect to buy 1 of 5 only later to find it is 1 of 500 because of a second run. This would apply to OpCode's ProtoTypes that we purchased to help fund the SGM or even CollectorVision' StarCom (limited to 30 copies) release to help fund efforts and celebrate the CV 30th anniversary. None of these limited release games would have sold for very much, even to help support your efforts, if it was not a limited release and we thought more copies would be released later. I am not concerned about the "investment", more about the principal of the matter. CollectorVision even changes their own games for a second release, so why should this be any different?
  • Yes, it was called a “ProtoType" in the original listing: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/161392-opcode-protos-going-to-ebay/page-3?hl=%2Bcomic+%2Bbakery&do=findComment&comment=2165895
  • I would prefer to get any game from CollectorVision that has not been released on the ColecoVision before, but if Comic Bakery is to be re-released by CollectorVision and is a different version than that of OpCode then I will purchase that one as well.
  • The Skiing ROM is available and I have it. No need to start from scratch on this one unless you wish to create a completely new game.

Troy

• Like 1

Seems at least that my earlier post generated some good conversation with at least some understanding my point.

Just for clarify to all:

Troy

In Post #10 in that thread, Opcode wrote:

I also reserve the rights to publish the game later as a commercial release if so I wish, though with all honesty I have no such plans.

So if Opcode ended up publishing the game or someone else, the possibility always existed, but at least this CollectorVision release will be unique which will keep your cart unique as well.

Skiing? Well, there is the TeleGames version which is a completely different animal... but was very fun to play in the CV HSC. There is also the demo rom (title screen and 1 static graphic screen) that J-F made a while ago, but that's all it is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No, but wouldn't it be fun to have an "INSERT COIN" message on the title screen, and a high score table? :PI just have this vision of Frostbite for ColecoVision in my head, one that would take the Atari 2600 version and improve upon it in certain key areas. But it would still be the same game. :)

Hard to improve on perfection, but a high score table would certainly help :)

Has there been any thought of offering a cart only option for new releases? Not so much for a cheaper option, but for people who don't care about boxes and don't want to store them. It's a shame to purchase a CIB release, only to get rid of the box.

With all due respect, I would be happy to get these boxes :D

Really people stills throws boxes into the bin? :o

With all due respect, I would be happy to get these boxes :D

Really people stills throws boxes into the bin? :o

Well I don't throw the box away... but it does get stored (in a bigger box) and ONLY sees the light of day when I put another EXPENSIVE box into the bigger box.

Let's see - '$35' for a cart only release or '$50' for a cart and box... after my 10 cart only purchases I have 10 games to play... the same money gets you only 7 with 7 pretty boxes up on a display shelf. IMHO - I'd rather play the 10 games. But if the games sellers insist on including a box - well I want the game.... I do LOVE my Coleco :D

On one level I feel in 'last' place... The completists drool over getting the complete package and are happy.... on the other far end those that wait and wait and wait - get the ROM image usually for free and are happy. Me - I've got a bunch of money tied up in boxes.... (((Anybody want to buy 10 homebrew boxes for $750? :grin: :grin: :grin: FREE SHIPPING)))

(Don't get me wrong - this stuff is high quality and nice... but in the long run - I want 10 games not 7! )

• Like 1

Well I don't throw the box away... but it does get stored (in a bigger box) and ONLY sees the light of day when I put another EXPENSIVE box into the bigger box.

Let's see - '$35' for a cart only release or '$50' for a cart and box... after my 10 cart only purchases I have 10 games to play... the same money gets you only 7 with 7 pretty boxes up on a display shelf. IMHO - I'd rather play the 10 games. But if the games sellers insist on including a box - well I want the game.... I do LOVE my Coleco :D

On one level I feel in 'last' place... The completists drool over getting the complete package and are happy.... on the other far end those that wait and wait and wait - get the ROM image usually for free and are happy. Me - I've got a bunch of money tied up in boxes.... (((Anybody want to buy 10 homebrew boxes for $750? :grin: :grin: :grin: FREE SHIPPING)))

(Don't get me wrong - this stuff is high quality and nice... but in the long run - I want 10 games not 7! )

Why not just sell the boxes you don't want here? There are probably a LOT of people who'd be interested in buying one cart and two boxes.

• Like 1

You have to produce run and run of games to understand why we sell CIB only (mostly)

You can't just print a few boxes, manuals, cart labels

You just can't pleased everyone anyway ...

You don't make a box and manual, people want to have them

You make CIB, people want cart only

You only release a cart only, people want the rom

You only release a rom file, people want a cart

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 2

I, for one, and just so happy and still incredibly amazed that new ColecoVision games are still being produced after all these years. That they are made available in CIB format (just like they were some 30 years ago), sometimes loose carts and eventually freely shared as rom downloads is the icing on the cake. If you don't want the box and/or manual, just put it up for sale here on AtariAge and more than likely, someone will snatch it up.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...