IGNORED

BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014

Bunsen

Type in:

Yes, I prepared a document with information/description about the game, information about the author and the listing for typing in. But again: I think I am not allowed to sell a book with listings without the consent of the authors.

This document is written in german. I could translate it but it would be strange english (as you can see on my posts :-)).

I've been thinking intensely.

And came to the conclusion that I can release that document in form of a book.

I won't release the GAMES in the book. I'll release LISTINGS of games which were already released in the internet. That's quite a difference to releasing the games in form of a tape and sell them. Main focus of the book are not the listings, but descriptions ABOUT the games: how to play, how it looks like, who the programmer is and what his role is in the Atari community.

Also I will release it under creative commons license (CC BY 2.5), so everybody is allowed to copy, share, remix and translate it. I don't want to have any copyrights.I thought this reflects the spirit of the international Atari community.

I don't want to make ANY profit with it (I am employed as state official and so it is difficult to earn money from another source).

Only thing I did is: I rounded it up. So the book is 34 cents more expensive that it could be. With probably 50 selled books it is 17 EUR. This amount I will spend in next year's competition (talk about sending prizes: 7 EUR postage for bigger international packages; 3,45 EUR for smaller ones).

I hope I cleared things a bit and hope also all programmers agree. My aim is to push the community and to spread information for even a stronger community, not to make money. All people who know me from ABBUC and Return magazine can confirm this.

• Like 10

Hi Bunsen,

And came to the conclusion that I can release that document in form of a book.

I won't release the GAMES in the book. I'll release LISTINGS of games which were already released in the internet. That's quite a difference to releasing the games in form of a tape and sell them. Main focus of the book are not the listings, but descriptions ABOUT the games: how to play, how it looks like, who the programmer is and what his role is in the Atari community.

Also I will release it under creative commons license (CC BY 2.5), so everybody is allowed to copy, share, remix and translate it. I don't want to have any copyrights.I thought this reflects the spirit of the international Atari community.

I think it is a great idea, and please you can include my games as you wish.

• Like 1

Thanks for such an interesting batch of games in just ten lines of Turbo BASIC code. I included all the games in new update of my site:

Link 1: list without screenshots

Link 2: list with screenshots

If you, authors, find something is missing in game page, or you want something to be added (like description, links, etc.), just let me know. Also check if the game is put in right genre.

Greetings

Gury

Edit:

Author names will show up in next site update!

Edited by Gury
  • Like 6

Great! Thanks, Gury!

Find only little things:

- list with screenshots: 40 entries instead of 41

- Abduct10 instead of Abductions

- Count1ng Zoo instead of Count1ing Zoo

Detail pages:

- link to lulu seems to be broken

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Afaik,

the Nomam contest 2013 was done internally (at the NOMAM meeting in northern Germany) and all created games (6) took part as one entry in the Abbuc Software Contest 2013. So, do a search for the ASC 2013 and its software and you may find the Atari Basic programs there, e.g. Moon Lander by Stefan Dorndorf, Death Race without Jason Statham and others.

Or maybe Bunsen will upload the Nomam 2013 (ASC 2013) programs here...

You can download them here: http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=313429

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but these are great, and I'm looking for more!

Back at the beginning of this thread was a mention of "given the success of last year's NOMAM"

I can't find any references to a 2013 NOMAM basic games competition. Is this archived somewhere?

the Nomam contest 2013 was done internally

No, I invited here at AtariAge anybody to join the contest (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/208333-nomam-2013-retro-meeting-with-lots-of-8-bit-ataris/), but nobody did.

We decided, as CharlieChaplin mentioned already, to take part at ABBUC Software Contest with all 6 tenliners as one entry. We got an unexpected good nineth place and our tenliners have been widely used. I think this was the reason for this year's phenomenal participation.

Next year in April will be a again a tenliners contest. I already got one contribution (on a real diskette programmed on a real machine!!! :-) But ATR's and programming on emulators are also welcome).

We appreciate suggestions on how the rules can be changed. (For example it could be interesting to introduce new platforms as new categories, for example Locomotove Basic (Amstrad CPC) or Simon's Basic (C64)).

Can you please also add OSS BasicXL onto the acceptable programming language list? Thank you.

Since there exists a free available runtime for Basic XL programs (for those Atarians that do not own the Basic XL cart.), this should not be a big problem. Note: The Basic XL runtime will only execute Basic XL programs, its not possible to list or edit them in any way (and allthough its named runtime, its not nescessary to compile the Atari Basic or Basic XL programs to run with the runtime)...

All you have to do is (re)name the runtime to Autorun.SYS and (re)name the Atari Basic or Basic XL program to Autorun.BXL. But keep in mind that the runtime does not switch off AB automatically, so on XL/XE computers one should hold down the OPTION key while booting...

And err, the size for the Basic XL runtime is just 109 (or 110) sectors, whereas TB XL 1.5 requires 145 sectors...

BasicXL_runtime.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

• 1 month later...

P.S.: In the next Nomam programming session (tenliners or whatever), one should not only accept Atari Basic and TB XL, but also Altirra Basic...

Is Altirra Basic 100% compatible to Basic XE? Someone suggested to accept Basic XE or Basic XL programs next year...

Why not switch to Altirra Basic? Both - Altirra and the contest - could benefit of the conjunction.

A short history of Basic Tenliners:

2011 - Atari Basic contest - demos and games - 6 entries

2013 - Atari Basic contest - games only - 6 entries

2014 - Turbo Basic contest - games only - 40 entries

I'd suggest just stick with default Basic and TBXL, both easily available to any machine so long as Ram requirement met (for TBXL).

I don't think BXL or BXE would offer any advantage over TBXL anyway in a 10 line situation, and the target audience on real hw is so much smaller.

• Like 1