IGNORED

BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014

Bunsen

You has longer lines. Atari Basic (and Turbo Basic XL) get maximum line lengths 3-lines. So, you has 6 letter more for each line (60 at all). Only few? Example: PL.0,0 - one instruction more in line.

Use of abbreviations, too. There's a way to crunch the keywords you need down to one-letter abbreviations (and actually crash the syntax parser if you cram too many operations into the 120-character line limit IIRC)...but that would probably go against the rules.

I've been working on "Gwobby Micro" all day - yes he's back to BASIC, real BASIC! Just 1 pesky bug to fix :twisted:

Gave me a day off from the assembler. First mistake was I typed LOAD #D:GWOBBY10.M65 without even realising it :!:

Interesting that after the 4K BASIC Contest (Keep on Koastin') where it was all about code size here it's all about line size... I seem to have figured out some new dirty tricks to reference multiple lines based on values etc; this and using single letter variables has made the listing look like the latest form of encrytpion technology, not good for finding problems :-o Editing those extended lines is a pain too but It has squeezed in nicely in the end.

p.s. My friend bluecat will be attempting her 2nd Atari program following "Amazin'" in the 4K contest :)

A compact way to store redefined characters is within strings, so an alternate chset setup might look a bit like:

FOR A=0 TO 15 : POKE CHSET+8+A,PEEK(ADR("dfieurijlkdfjlkd")+A) : NEXT A

Most values can be represented but you run into trouble with 155 (RETURN) and 34 (quote), but if they occur you can just put a space then poke in seperately further on.

Edited by Rybags

A compact way to store redefined characters is within strings, so an alternate chset setup might look a bit like:

FOR A=0 TO 15 : POKE CHSET+8+A,PEEK(ADR("dfieurijlkdfjlkd")+A) : NEXT A

Most values can be represented but you run into trouble with 155 (RETURN) and 34 (quote), but if they occur you can just put a space then poke in seperately further on.

That looks pretty compact, but I am totally out of space. I need to refactor my solving procedure first.

Can I assume that during the comp judging that the relevant version of Basic will be used?

ie - this one I've got in Atari Basic will probably be unplayable in a faster Basic, I've got a dummy maths calculation going on that serves as a delay as it is.

Mmmh, it was thought that all programms will be run under TB XL . Try to use your calculation. If it is not possible and you run out of space (lines) we will run it under Atari Basic.

In original rules in german on abbuc.de I wrote: All programs will be run under TB XL. I don't know why i missed it in the translation in AA.

Since it is a fun contest and I missed to add this term here, we will run your program under Atari Basic if you want.

• Like 1

Atari Basic doesn't have it... that's the issue, the first game I've got going assumes standard Basic.

I guess I can probably cater for both versions, just a case of putting into TBXL and doing some tuning.

I wrote mine in Atari BASIC too so will need to slow the delay loops. The game was about maxed out for speed and still playable, so now I can make it even harder :evil:

It will be nice if they are all in Turbo-BASIC so they can all go on the same disk :)

Hello Rybags

That's why you have the dummy math routine. Since it's probably gonna run to fast in BASIC, I thought replacing it with PAUSE (followed by a number, which present the number of jiffies you want the pause to last) would be an option.

Sincerely

Mathy

10th game registered :thumbsup: I've never expected so much respond.

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Paddleship by Bill Kendrick

Sijmen by me

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar

Carrera by Daniel Serpell

10 print "A"

20 print "T"

30 print "A"

40 print "R"

50 print "I"

60 print "8"

70 print "0"

80 print "0"

90 print "X"

100 print "L"

If anybody needs instructions on how and what this 10 ten line basic program does-I will be delighted to provide full instructions. Don't be too upset if I can't get back to you straight away as I am currently hard at work converting this to assembly-so I will be very busy for the next couple of months.

• Like 1