IGNORED

BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014

Bunsen

Hi, newbie here. I have an 800XL. I was wondering how to make games for this competition. I probably won't get anything done this year, but maybe next year, as I need to learn some more BASIC. I was just wondering what all I need to program BASIC for the Atari 8-bit (i.e. programs for my computer, et al.) Also, is there some way to get the programs already programmed on my 800XL?

• Like 1

Hi, newbie here. I have an 800XL. I was wondering how to make games for this competition. I probably won't get anything done this year, but maybe next year, as I need to learn some more BASIC. I was just wondering what all I need to program BASIC for the Atari 8-bit (i.e. programs for my computer, et al.) Also, is there some way to get the programs already programmed on my 800XL?

You can just flip on the computer to run basic, since the 800XL has it built in. You probably want something to save to, so you need a cassette recorder, disk drive, or a device such as SIO2PC. You don't want a cassette recorder because it is slow.

Personally I use an SIO2PC. You can get one at http://www.atari8warez.com/buyDualUSB.html. They are currently out of stock. You connect one end to the SIO port on the Atari and the other end to a USB port on your PC. Your PC runs AspeQt, which allows you to mount disk images. That is how you get the programs from your computer to your 800XL. The SIO2PC also allows you to save from your Atari to your PC.

Regardless of whether you choose the disk drive or the SIO2PC, you want to hook it up to the Atari before booting. You want to make sure the SIO2PC has a DOS or Disk Operating System in D1. Atari Dos 2.5 is popular. Once you booted, you can type DOS and press return to get to the DOS. List files by pressing A, then return, return. Press B to get back to basic. In Basic you can type SAVE "D1:FILE.BAS" to create a file named FILE.BAS with the contents of the current program. To load it later, run LOAD "D1:FILE.BAS".

To learn Atari BASIC, read books. There are many available online, such as the ones at http://www.atariarchives.org/. There is also a programming section of the forum if you have questions.

Edit: A major trick to getting your program in 10 lines: You can get multiple logical lines on a single physical line by using the : character to separate the lines. Like:

10 PRINT "HI":PRINT "EVERYONE"
Edited by fadix

Personally I use an SIO2PC. You can get one at http://www.atari8warez.com/buyDualUSB.html. They are currently out of stock.

FYI, I am in the process of ordering parts and the PCBs for a new design which is built inside an Atari SIO plug. The device should be available in about a month from now. I also plan to include some companion software to AspeQt.

Edited by atari8warez

16th game registered :thumbsup:

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Paddleship by Bill Kendrick

Sijmen by me

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar

Carrera by Daniel Serpell

Minijong by Bill Kendrick

Jump! by Xuel

Count1ing Zoo by 1NG

Hanged Man by Jakub Husak

Gwobby Micro by Jason Kendall

Minidash by Bill Kendrick

That's Great :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You might be suprised what you can do within a couple of months... take a look at the Valentines Day thread too and post your own thread on the programming forum with questions as you go - there are plenty of people to help out. Some of the entries here are quite complex as they cram a lot in so you'd be better off looking at some of the books/manuals or magazine's getting started articles; checkout atariarchives.org or atarimania for these ;-)

Nah, i want it to be 100% me. But thanks for the offer!

That's ok. I wasn't going to suggest any code/ideas but just ways of cramming more in using formulaes instead of IF THEN etc

;)

The gravity in this game is a bit like a Wile E. Coyote (Looney Tunes) cartoon, but it's the best I could do with time constraint (couple hours this evening) and space constraint (10 lines). Here's "Minidash", a Boulder Dash style game!

Nice work on Minidash Bill :thumbsup:

Pretty amazing stuff being generated here, those Guys are going to have a great time at NOMAM :party:

All this Turbo BASICing has got me started on another game - might be one for the abbuc contest though I really should get back to the assembler for my main project soon... then there's bluecat and Travis's game to help with :)

It'd be great to have all the games packed in one single (zipped) file to download...

- Y -

16th game registered :thumbsup:

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Sijmen by me

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar

Jump! by Xuel

Count1ing Zoo by 1NG

18th game registered :thumbsup:

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Sijmen by me

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar

Jump! by Xuel

Count1ing Zoo by 1NG

Puzzler 2014 by Sleepy

Drunk Pistol by mgr inz. Rafal

I want to remove GozMind since I've reworked it. The new game is called Crack My Luggage:

post-3959-0-95210800-1393620388_thumb.png

I "borrowed" Bill K's character redefinition tricks, removed the confusing symbols, and wrote up some better directions. The atr is availble here http://cdn.gtia.com/2014/CrackMyLuggage.atr and more info is available on my website, http://gtia.com/2014/02/28/crack-my-luggage-turbobasic-xl-ten-liner/

• Like 4

18th game registered :thumbsup:

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Sijmen by me

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar Retracted

Jump! by Xuel

Count1ing Zoo by 1NG

Puzzler 2014 by Sleepy

Drunk Pistol by mgr inz. Rafal

Crack My Luggage by gozar

I want to remove GozMind since I've reworked it. The new game is called Crack My Luggage:

Cool little game; Mastermind is an old favorite.

Something's wrong here though. On the first try I have 2 in the right place and 1 the right digit in the wrong place. I changed only one number on the second try, and it gives 1 in the right place as a response. At a minimum the response should be 1 in the right place and 1 the right digit in the wrong place.

post-6369-0-34936400-1393625002_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish

Cool little game; Mastermind is an old favorite.

Something's wrong here though. On the first try I have 2 in the right place and 1 the right digit in the wrong place. I changed only one number on the second try, and it gives 1 in the right place as a response. At a minimum the response should be 1 in the right place and 1 the right digit in the wrong place.

attachicon.gifCML Error.png

That is weird. Let me play with it tonight and see if I can re-produce it!

Well, there is something definitely wrong. I just had a guess that had three solids and one white, which would be impossible. The solving routine must be getting confused, probably when there are multiples of the same number. I'll dig into it!

My normal way I test is to just go up, use 0000 as my first guess, 1111 as my second, and so on. Apparently that works. :-)

My entry is Turbo Basic XL roguelike in 10 lines
post-22831-0-70000700-1393649173_thumb.png

Press Fire to start.

To win you have to survive to level 8 of the dungeon.

In the dungeon:
@ - represents your character. Move using joystick.
$ - gold - collect as much of it as you can.
+ - healing potion restores 5 hit points
? - magic scroll increases your maximum hit points (stronger scrolls appear deeper in the dungeon)
/ - weapon to pick up. Stronger weapons can be found deeper in the dungeon, but be careful - you can replace your weapon with a weaker one.
1-9 - monsters - number represents strength of the monster.
- Monsters chase you.
- Stronger monsters cause more damage. Monster 5 cause random damage 1 to 5.
- You hit monster with random strength up to your weapon strength (with weapon 5 you cause randomly 1 to 5 damage)
- Monsters steal items from the ground.

roguelike.atr

GAME.TXT

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 9

Besides download of ATR we are planning a tape release. A professionell produced Tape with Inlay, Cover and Shrinkwrap + Manual. Costs about EUR20. What do you think?

AA User Powersoft is in the music business and has the equipment to produce tapes. Every entry would have a loading time of approximately 1,5 minutes. In the manual the authors could explain line by line how the program works. So it would become a small TB tutorial and textbook.

Costs would be about 7 EUR for the tape + 7 EUR for the manual + shipping costs = ~20 EUR.

But we would need ~30 Preorders to make it possible.

We thought it would be a cool oldschool way of releasing stuff. But maybe we are wrong?

Well, i do not own a tape-recorder anymore. But if you put an additional 5.25 disk into that package, i am in :)

Disk would be cool, though I do have a working cassette player! Wouldn't you need to load Turbo BASIC anyway so wouldn't that be from disk? [i'm in either way]

Besides download of ATR we are planning a tape release. A professionell produced Tape with Inlay, Cover and Shrinkwrap + Manual. Costs about EUR20. What do you think?

A bunch of nifty BASIC games? On a cassette?? It's like I'm 10 again!

That would be a total nostalgia overload for me..... count me in!