IGNORED

BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014

Bunsen

ABYSS...

Any reason why the color cycle starts to roll every 6 or so seconds after the game's been running a while? (I'm using v1.2 btw)...

That's the "attract mode" built into the OS. ilmenit mentioned that there was no space left in the code to turn it off.

I thought that people know that you can disable attract mode by pressing any key, but here is a version that does it for you. There was some space in one line to add it :)

Difficulties of maneuvering the ship are by design and I will not change it. It's a cargo ship guys, not a fighter.

Btw, thanks for your comments! ;-) It's really cool to know that people like your game.

It's not basing directly on any existing game and I haven't seen such kind of economy design (prices depend on supply and demand) in any 8bit trading game. There were of course many inspirations including Elite, Kolony, Pirates Of The Barbary Coast etc.

abyss13.atr

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 2

i didn't know any of that. not an 800/XL/XE (or whatever this is) gamer. i downloaded an emulator to play your game. now let that sink in for a minute. :D :thumbsup:

i am horrible at Abyss btw, my best 'score' was $799. i wish i knew how many days i lasted for that game.

i didn't know any of that. not an 800/XL/XE (or whatever this is) gamer. i downloaded an emulator to play your game. now let that sink in for a minute. :D :thumbsup:

i am horrible at Abyss btw, my best 'score' was $799. i wish i knew how many days i lasted for that game.

I usually end with more than $200.000. Some hints:

• Early in the game if you have planets that buy ore then aim for mining. It's a pure profit without any costs. Watch out for fuel not to get without it (mining fills your cargo to full).
  • When exiting a planet check the mission. Maybe there is a reachable mission planet around. Focusing only on missions is not a good idea because planets are far away.
  • Buy more cargo space soon in the game (10-20). This will allow you to make business faster and will provide you better income. Prices depend on supply and demand therefore if you provide some goods to the planet, the next time you visit it the prices will be lower. If you do it at one throw then you get maximum profit.
  • Focus on supply/demand when trading. It's better to trade cheaper goods when they have good buy/sell prices than expensive ones with smaller difference. Example:
    ROBOTS       Supply=99,Price=71,  Demand=-99,Price=212   Profit on 1 unit = 212 - 71  = 141
    WEAPONS      Supply=28,Price=352, Demand=-23,Price=457   Profit on 1 unit = 457 - 352 = 105
Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 2

that was very helpful. that's why i kept losing so quickly, focusing on the missions. half the time i couldn't get there before the deadline. ore mining in the beginning has now become a top priority, although i didn't break $1000 yet but getting there. last few games i've hung on to most of the ore until a $50+ demand.

there's a very minor bug on the trade screen:

what works: pressing down at Cargo Hold brings you back up to the top (to Fuel) as it should

what doesn't: pressing up at Fuel to get back to the bottom (to Cargo Hold) actually bumps it down to Food.

also the v1.3 file (from post #177) still shows v1.2 on the title screen.

as far as i'm concerned this game won the contest! lol

there's a very minor bug on the trade screen:

what works: pressing down at Cargo Hold brings you back up to the top (to Fuel) as it should

what doesn't: pressing up at Fuel to get back to the bottom (to Cargo Hold) actually bumps it down to Food.

also the v1.3 file (from post #177) still shows v1.2 on the title screen.

as far as i'm concerned this game won the contest! lol

Hm... I've downloaded the attachment from #177 and it shows me v1.3...

The bug you've mentioned is known but can't be fixed having 10 lines of Basic code - this is due to code size optimization.

I'm not sure about winning the contest. Last year's Abbuc results shown that people prefer simple games to more complex ones ("Xirius Defect" by Matosimi got higher place than "The Hunt"). In this contest there are a few simple but good games like Joyas or Jump.

And here's "Minijong", a tiny Mahjong Solitaire game in 10 lines of TurboBASIC XL. http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atari/nomam2014/minijong/

Whoa! I can not believe it! I have plans to program something by myself ... but after having seen - and played! - this I am not sure if I would better say »I had plans ...« ... ;) Thank you VERY MUCH btw. for the profound insight into your code.

I've played your MINIJONG game and found something suspicious ... I hope I won't spoil the fun because I maybe found a bug or something. Anyway: Here's a screenshot from what I mean:

post-38426-0-81990300-1394740413_thumb.jpg

You can clearly see the blue dotted field surrounded by occupied fields.

Attached you will also find a state file for Altirra 2.40.

Hope this helps and crossing fingers as hard as I can! :)

Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)

MINIJONG_alt240.zip

finally got a good game out of Abyss. i ran out fuel on day 485 and broke $4000.00 three times. i mined ore too quickly. you want to save half of those planets for after you've bought a lot of extra cargo space so you can collect more for a bigger profit.

Edited by bomberpunk

It's great that you tried out the 8-bit Atari Computer (sort of!) now lets see your prorgam :D

Whoa! I can not believe it! I have plans to program something by myself ... but after having seen - and played! - this I am not sure if I would better say »I had plans ...« ... ;) Thank you VERY MUCH btw. for the profound insight into your code.

I've played your MINIJONG game and found something suspicious ... I hope I won't spoil the fun because I maybe found a bug or something. Anyway: Here's a screenshot from what I mean:

/Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)

think this is ok - can't remember but wasn't the blue dotted field the raised base level ?

There are a few beginners putting in games so don't be put off - the more the merrier ;)

It's great that you tried out the 8-bit Atari Computer (sort of!) now lets see your prorgam :D

i only code in qbasic. my coding has been referred to by others as unorthodox, which is why my games never translate to other versions of basic. check out blog posts to see a few of them, but none of them are 10 lines or less!

i only code in qbasic. my coding has been referred to by others as unorthodox, which is why my games never translate to other versions of basic. check out blog posts to see a few of them, but none of them are 10 lines or less!

I'll take a look at Hop Skip Jump :thumbsup: You should see my code :-o I'm sure you could do a cut down version of one of them ;)

Congratulations btw :)

Yo Basickers!

My humble entry, the game Flappy, based on infamous Flappy bird of course.

Thanks fly to Peter Dell and Jakub Husak for important help in squeezing the game into 10 lines!

Have fun!

At first the game is generating stuff, so please hold for like 15 seconds.

Fly with space bar. Any result over 5 points is a feat!

FLAPPY.zip

Edited by pirx
  • Like 5

28th game registered :)

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Paddleship by Bill Kendrick

Sijmen by Gunnar Kanold

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar Retracted

Carrera by Daniel Serpell

Minijong by Bill Kendrick

Jump! by Xuel

Count1ing Zoo by 1NG

Hanged Man by Jakub Husak

Gwobby Micro by Jason Kendall

Minidash by Bill Kendrick

Puzzler 2014 by Sleepy

Drunk Pistol by mgr inz. Rafal

Crack My Luggage by gozar

Roguelike by Jakub Debski

Nimx by Cliff Hatch

Catch by Chris Read

Grue Killer by Reaperman

Joyas by Daniel Serpell

Dodge Racer by Reaperman

Abyss by Jakub Debski

Fuky Bird by 1NG

Puzzler Duell by Sleepy

Flappy by pirx

Here's an entry: BluesJam plays a 12-bar blues chord progression in any of the 12 major keys (type K to change the key.) Use joystick left and right to set the note to play along as the soloist. (It always uses the minor blues scale that fits with the key you've chosen.) Press the fire button to play that note. (Just try holding the button down and moving the joystick left and right.)

Autobooting ATR: bluesjam_20140316.atr

This is my first program in TBXL, having only learned about the language four days ago.

• Like 2

It reacts to user input... Not a "scoring" game per say. Not a utility to create and save music.. It's one of those zen mode games where there is no real penalty. It's the Anti-Flappy Bird.

Which is possibly too generous. The sounds are not that relaxing.

• Like 1

a game needs at least one way to win...

I don't mean to sound like a butthole, but there are plenty of games that have no winning. You simply play until you die, and you will die.

[Note: This is not a comment in reference to Savetz entry, as I haven't even looked at it yet.]

Heh, thanks. ;)

attachicon.gif MINIJOMG.jpg

Hrm, it's hard to tell from the screenshot, but I think it's simply a matter of the tiles being on different layers. Note that the game lays the tiles out on a pyramid.

The base of the pyramid is 7x7 tiles (dark red-ish). Centered on top of that is a 5x5 layer of tiles (blue-ish). Finally, the very top layer is 3x3 (green).

Just because pieces are visible to the left and right of a tile doesn't mean the tile cannot be selected & removed in a match. If the tiles you see are on a lower layer (i.e., a different color), then the tile in question is still free. 16-bit versions of Shanghai, as well as MyJong on the Atari 8-bit, the tiles are placed with an isometric 3D effect, to make this obvious. On Atari 8-bit Shanghai, and my Minijong, different colors are used to denote what layer/height tiles are at.

BTW, I haven't tried Altirra yet. I use Atari800 under Linux. I do have Win7 under Virtualbox, so I should see if Altirra works there, one of these days. (I hate Windows, though, so it's not exactly a high priority ;) )

Attached you will also find a state file for Altirra 2.40.

Hope this helps and crossing fingers as hard as I can! :)

Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)

attachicon.gif MINIJONG_alt240.zip

Yo Basickers!

My humble entry, the game Flappy, based on infamous Flappy bird of course.

Thanks fly to Peter Dell and Jakub Husak for important help in squeezing the game into 10 lines!

I call BS! The lines are way more than what could be typed in BASIC with the E: editor device. This was obviously written in another editor and ENTER-ed. ;)

That said, I've been working on a tool to let me do just that -- edit code in ASCII on my Linux laptop, and 'send it to' TBXL.

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atari/linux2tbasicxl/

(Maybe next year, though, the rules should declare whether "can actually be typed into BASIC on a real Atari" is required. ;) )

Hrm, it's hard to tell from the screenshot, but I think it's simply a matter of the tiles being on different layers. Note that the game lays the tiles out on a pyramid.

The base of the pyramid is 7x7 tiles (dark red-ish). Centered on top of that is a 5x5 layer of tiles (blue-ish). Finally, the very top layer is 3x3 (green).

Hope I am not a pain in the ass ... but I can not help it because I am a former editor and game tester for magazines. Hence ... well ... :)

So, please look again at my screenshot: You can see a line of three blue tiles with the letters »LOA«. Directly below the »O« you can see a blue-ish tile with the dotted pattern which says »free space«. But from the game logic there can not be a free place marked blue-ish. The underlaying tile from the dark red-ish 1st floor should be visible instead. Free places can only be marged dark red-ish.

An other possibility would be a free space on the 1st floor which is somehow erroneous displayed blue-ish. But from the game logic there are tiles to the left an right. So no free space possible here. I suspect a error in the game logic.

Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)