IGNORED

Season 11 Round 9 - Baseball Stars II

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 9 of the 11th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This round we are going to play what I think is the best baseball game on the NES, by far. Baseball Stars II.

This round ends on Monday, March 3rd.

Title: Baseball Stars II
Developer: Romstar
Publisher: Nintendo
Released: July 1992

http://youtu.be/hbhNA8DFwkQ

Rules:

Play "VS" mode, "1 Player vs Computer", and leave errors OFF. Play as whatever team will give you the best score, and pick whichever stadium you like. As with all of the sports games that we play, your HSC score is your score differential in the game, so your opponents run total subtracted from your run total. So if you beat the computer 8-2, then your score is 6.

Scores so far:

Current standings:

1. DonPedro 149
2. asponge 110
3. Lid 94
4. S.BAZ 74
5. roadrunner 68
6. darthkur 64
7. Jibbajaba 60
8. theKLT 43
9. jblenkle 36
10. classicgamer_27330 33
11. wolfman 20
12. ScottFromDerby 15
13. NIKON 8
14. Botbird208 6
15. mihcael 4

Negitive 10

It's a good thing this game has a mercy rule, it coulda been a lot worse.
Weird controls for this game. My 3rd baseman had the ball 2 times but wouldn't move
once he had the ball. I wanted him to run to 3rd or run after a batter. :(
And I had a dumb runner get picked off 2nd on a infield pop up. :(

Edited by roadrunner

Baseballstars2.JPG

roadrunner, you have to press the direction that corresponds to the base and simultaneously press B to have your infielder run to that base. And any time you hit a fly ball, pop or othertwise, you have to press A plus the base to have your runner go back. They're dumb, and always run no matter what.

• Like 1

You just have to know not to run to a base if no one is there. And you bunt by partially swinging and leaving the bat over the plate. And you have to remember to keep your runners on base.

It's a really good game, but you have to play it a bit to get used to everything.

• Like 2

Can someone tell me what the deal is with the 1st baseman? Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is? When my team is in the field and a batter hits a ground ball to first, I can field it, but then I can't move to step on the base to get the out. Seemingly the only way I can get an out is if another player beats the runner to first and I throw the ball to him which doesn't happen that often.

Can someone tell me what the deal is with the 1st baseman? Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is? When my team is in the field and a batter hits a ground ball to first, I can field it, but then I can't move to step on the base to get the out. Seemingly the only way I can get an out is if another player beats the runner to first and I throw the ball to him which doesn't happen that often.

You have to press the B button and the corresponding direction on the controller. So to run to first, B + Right. Second, B + Up, Third B + Left.

Thanks...ah, the joys of playing games with a PC joypad on an emulator...

What buttons do you press to steal? I just start mashing buttons down and pressing the directional control in a direction I hope is toward 2nd base.

You have to press the B button and the corresponding direction on the controller. So to run to first, B + Right. Second, B + Up, Third B + Left.

I agree it is a really great game. the diving & jumping, fielding makes this game stand out.

I slightly prefer the first one though, because I like how it works with the team management better. but I also did play the first one a lot more so it is maybe not a fair comparison.

other good baseball games:

Little League Baseball

Bad News Baseball

Tecmo Baseball

and of course the RBI's are pretty good too

I'm beginning to think this game might have a few bugs in it...

I just played a game and hit a ball into what I judged to be left center field. The center fielder - who was in view on the far right of the screen - just stood there and didn't field the ball as it rolled to a stop. I circled the bases for an inside the park home run.

In other games I've played, my right fielder seems to disappear on fair balls hit down the right field line. I press the directional pad in that direction to get him to run over there and wait and wait...finally someone who I think is the center fielder appears and gets the ball. I never see any trace of the right fielder.

Other times I've tried to pick up a ball in right field and just run around in circles, the fielder will won't pick it up.

These seem to be totally random occurrences and don't happen every game...but enough that I've noticed them.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot one...I literally had an opposing runner stuck between second and third base...he was running in place trying to return to second, but was not going anywhere. The game would not let me throw the ball to second though. I had to throw it to another base at which time he unfroze and returned to second safely.

Edited by jblenkle

I'm beginning to think this game might have a few bugs in it...

I just played a game and hit a ball into what I judged to be left center field. The center fielder - who was in view on the far right of the screen - just stood there and didn't field the ball as it rolled to a stop. I circled the bases for an inside the park home run.

In other games I've played, my right fielder seems to disappear on fair balls hit down the right field line. I press the directional pad in that direction to get him to run over there and wait and wait...finally someone who I think is the center fielder appears and gets the ball. I never see any trace of the right fielder.

Other times I've tried to pick up a ball in right field and just run around in circles, the fielder will won't pick it up.

These seem to be totally random occurrences and don't happen every game...but enough that I've noticed them.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot one...I literally had an opposing runner stuck between second and third base...he was running in place trying to return to second, but was not going anywhere. The game would not let me throw the ball to second though. I had to throw it to another base at which time he unfroze and returned to second safely.

Hmm. I've played quite a bit of BSII and have never had those problems. I wonder if it's possible that your cart or ROM is bad? Are you playing on a NES or in an emulator?

I'm playing on the Nestopia emulator. I'll download a new rom and see if it makes a difference. Or maybe switch emulators, as well, and give it a try.

Hmm. I've played quite a bit of BSII and have never had those problems. I wonder if it's possible that your cart or ROM is bad? Are you playing on a NES or in an emulator?

Yeah, this is one thing about this game I didn't like...bases loaded, no outs, and a pop up on the infield...everyone is running and I'm yelling, "noooooooo...go back..." Don't know how many triple plays I hit into because of this...

Also, if you foul tip a ball with two strikes, the catcher always catches it so you're out.

And any time you hit a fly ball, pop or othertwise, you have to press A plus the base to have your runner go back. They're dumb, and always run no matter what.

S.BAZ 9 +25
classicgamer_27330 7 +18
Jibbajaba 7 +18
jblenkle 5 +12
DonPedro -2 +10
roadrunner -7 +8

1. DonPedro 159
2. asponge 110

3. S.BAZ 99
4. Lid 94

5. Jibbajaba 78
6. roadrunner 76