IGNORED

Converting disk assembly game to cassette

arcadeshopper

I was asked to look at converting minipede to cassette. It loads in minimem or EA opt 3.. with a start name of START (load and run)

I tried loading it in MESS then saving the memory space of the minimem (7000-7fff) to cassette but that didn't get the whole game..

I loaded in Classic99 and see the START in the memory around 8FD8 .. but minimem won't let me save memory past 8F00

Any ideas?

Greg

In MESS it loads at 7118 (entry point START at 740E) to 7DF8. You should, however, disable the internal 16-bit memory expansion (OSD menu, "System configuration"). I noticed that when it is on (default), the program is loaded into the memory expansion. Which, by the way, causes a crash when you try to run the program after restarting the computer because the entry in the DEF table is still there, but it points to a memory area that has been wiped.

Edited by mizapf

In MESS it loads at 7118 (entry point START at 740E) to 7DF8. You should, however, disable the internal 16-bit memory expansion (OSD menu, "System configuration"). I noticed that when it is on (default), the program is loaded into the memory expansion. Which, by the way, causes a crash when you try to run the program after restarting the computer because the entry in the DEF table is still there, but it points to a memory area that has been wiped.

ok that must be my problem then..thanks! I'll try that

BTW, in MESS you can start with the option -debug to activate the debugger window. Press F5 to let the emulation run, then continue as usual, load the game, click on the debugger window again, press F11 to stop the emulation at the next operation. Press Ctrl-M to open the memory window, then type 7000 in the input field (or any other address), and that way you can check the memory contents.

Ok it seems to save the entire program now.. however it won't run.. garbage on the screen..

It runs fine from cassette if the 32k is there when I load it... I tried the same file with and without 32k and it gives me the garbage without 32k and works with 32k enabled.

Edited by arcadeshopper

I was asked to look at converting minipede to cassette. It loads in minimem or EA opt 3.. with a start name of START (load and run)

I tried loading it in MESS then saving the memory space of the minimem (7000-7fff) to cassette but that didn't get the whole game..

I loaded in Classic99 and see the START in the memory around 8FD8 .. but minimem won't let me save memory past 8F00

Any ideas?

Greg

It might be interesting to try RAG LINKER. I don't know if it will accept CS1 as output or not, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Gazoo