IGNORED

DKCR Tropical Freeze reviews

xg4bx

I didn't think it was possible, but Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has topped Returns. It's an incredibly crafted platformer with an HD sheen and an insane attention to detail, and any fan of the genre owes it to themselves to experience it. With the addition of control options to the already proven formula, Retro Studios' rendition of Donkey Kong is pretty much flawless.

10/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-270430.phtml

5/5 GameXplain

The game looks good, and I'll pick it up but not on launch day. I'll wait for the usual Amazon price drop and grab it.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned X, Cimerians, what would make me ecstatic is that since Nintendo and Sega are close buddies, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see another episode of Valkyria Chronicles be released for the Wii U. Would seem to be a natural fit, to me, and could use the gamepad for overhead maps, etc.

Edited by Mendon

Not trying to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned X, Cimerians, what would make me ecstatic is that since Nintendo and Sega are close buddies, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see another episode of Valkyria Chronicles be released for the Wii U. Would seem to be a natural fit, to me, and could use the gamepad for overhead maps, etc.

Oh yes! I would pre-order that for sure. Loved that game to pieces. :P

Even though it got really hard later on I think it should have had a console sequel. I would take a Wii U version for sure if they did some cool stuff on the gamepad like maps or doing stuff with your squad or whatever. Hoping someday they do a console sequel.

DK seems to not have any gamepad support at all (not that it needs it) but I hope Nintendo isn't ditching it too soon in favor of improving graphics or something (or cutting dev time)

Hmmm...looks like a been there done that but the graphics are so perty.

Maybe I'll pick this up next year if it ever drops in price. A bit too much of the same old thing for me to get right away but its perty.

I want X.

Same. I liked DK Country Returns on the Wii even with its ungodly uneven difficulty spikes, but this just looks like more of the same. I'll wait for it to drop a bit.

The Japanese launch of DKCTF was Feb. 13th and in its first week sold just over 35,000 copies. OUCH!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/donkey_kong_country_tropical_freeze_only_sells_just_over_35000_units_in_japanese_launch

Is that good?

I will buy it prob next year with mario kart and so on. Have too many wii u games to play already. Heck kids playing nintendoland right now.

Edited by Jinks

Appears it's not horrible at the very least.

Japanese Software Sales Week of Feb. 10th to Feb. 16th

01 [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2 118.427

02 [WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 35.717 (NEW)

03 [3DS] A-Train 3D 27.009 (NEW)

04 [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe 23.017

05 [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 22.230

06 [3DS] Magi: A New World 15.793 (NEW)

07 [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z 15.462

08 [3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris 13.717

09 [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost 13.704

10 [3DS] Pokemon X / Y 12.750

11 [PS3] Diablo III 7.345

12 [WIU] Super Mario 3D World 6.952

13 [PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 6.611

14 [PSV] Terraria 6.245

15 [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V 5.904

16 [3DS] Battle For Money 5.450

17 [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf 5.275

18 [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind 5.273

19 [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 5.103

20 [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 4.785

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=222714

Edited by Atariboy

My son bought the game and I watched him play this game yesterday for about 30min. Graphically, the game is incredible. Retro put in a lot of nice, little touches going on in the backgrounds, like a woodpecker working on a tree. Level design seems very, very creative and switches frequently from running to mine car's to riding in barrels.

With all that said, after watching my son play the game, I had no interest at all in taking the controller in hand when he offered it and playing the game myself.

I guess it might just be me, but I'm really, really burnt out on Nintendo platformers. After 3 Mario games since launch and now a Donkey Kong platformer, I just have no interest in running & jumping from platform to platform while trying to find hidden puzzle pieces or collecting all the objects on the screen before a 20sec timer runs out. Been there, done that far to many times over the last 18 months of Wii U - 3DS ownership.

If you like the game, that's great. But for me, I have no current interest at all in owning the game, even if the price fell.

Did anybody else notice how Gamespot dogged on this game?

post-16281-0-29006000-1394052836_thumb.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-review/1900-6415667/

I used to read Gamespot regularly a few years ago, but have not as of late. I used to like their reviews (somewhat) and when they fired Jeff Gerstmann, I didn't tune out on account of that specifically, but kind of got busy with other things (life) about the same time. I find that the modern Gamespot ratings don't seem to hold to the same standard as the old ones. While I haven't played DKC Tropical Freeze, from the reviews and videos that I've seen, it's what I'm expecting in a new DKC game and I don't understand giving it a "FAIR" rating. I noticed most everybody else gave the game favorable reviews.

Chief competitor IGN gave it a 9 out of 10. Frankly, this appealing game is the kind of thing (if they keep it up) that makes me want a Wii U.

GameSpot has a long history of low balling Nintendo scores like when they gave Mario Kart 64 a failing grade. Even when they do give a Nintendo game a decent score, it's usually at the low end of the scale. Most all of their 3DS scores are very low compared to most everywhere else for instance.

If you're a Nintendo fan, they're generally best ignored since their scores are unlikely to accurately reflect how you will feel about a particular game. I don't know how Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy 2 managed to slip by since even the best Nintendo releases usually are lucky to score a 9 from them.

Edited by Atariboy

While my Wii U owning son loves the game, he says he hasn't been as frustrated with a Nintendo game since the original Kid Icarus. He can clear the levels, no problem. But he says getting all the puzzle pieces and letters is a royal pain and he gets frustrated replaying a level over and over and over to get a puzzle piece in one of those "Collect all the bananas in a 20sec" rooms.

He won't stop playing, though, proving that his enjoyment of the game is stronger than his frustration level.