IGNORED

2014 Midwest Gaming Classic

thanatos

Of all the dumb things coming out of local government, they for some reason think if you pay to enter a tournament to win prizes, it's considered gambling and it's illegal to do in Wisconsin....so all the tournies got cancelled. By extension any sport that you compete in for awards is illegal as well.

@bikeguy, I love to buy all complete in box items including intellivision. I'm sure you'd get plenty of people wanting to buy your stuff (if they are like me ofc) :P

I spent alot of my money already, but when I get some more (next month or whatever) I'd like to pick up some of your common intellivision games if possible.

-Alpha

Of all the dumb things coming out of local government, they for some reason think if you pay to enter a tournament to win prizes, it's considered gambling and it's illegal to do in Wisconsin....so all the tournies got cancelled. By extension any sport that you compete in for awards is illegal as well.

Funny thing, if memory serves they had tournaments before with no issues. Did the show get big enough to get noticed by the government?

I enjoyed the show but didn't partake as much as I usually do since my daughter is with me and my time is limited as I am in a theater show tonight and it takes an hour to get back home.

I'm glad they rearranged the game areas. A LOT more video arcade machines to play. Only down side was not the fault of the show nut of the weather: the tent where most of the vendors were had rain pouring in under the walls and pooling in some areas. It made things a bit wet and chilly.

My daughter is looking wiped out so I might have to call it a year. Overall great show!

I have free Sunday pas for someone who can pick it up near 60707 (border of Chicago and Elmwood Park). I bought two day pass but I'm not going tomorrow. PM if you can meat me before 10-11pm. You will get one yellow wristband which lets you to the show. It has $15 value.

Of all the dumb things coming out of local government, they for some reason think if you pay to enter a tournament to win prizes, it's considered gambling and it's illegal to do in Wisconsin....so all the tournies got cancelled...

Not that it matters now (being that it's 11:30 on Sunday night and the show's been closed for hours), but that's not true. The pinball tournaments still happened, the show just couldn't charge the entry fees.

Edited by BassGuitari

Funny thing, if memory serves they had tournaments before with no issues. Did the show get big enough to get noticed by the government?

I'm glad they rearranged the game areas. A LOT more video arcade machines to play. Only down side was not the fault of the show nut of the weather: the tent where most of the vendors were had rain pouring in under the walls and pooling in some areas. It made things a bit wet and chilly.

As I understand it, Dan (and/or Gary and/or others) has been sending letters and notifications to the local government every single year about what's going on at the show and what they plan to do vis-a-vis pinball tournaments, etc. No one ever had a problem before, apparently because nobody ever actually READ Dan's letters. And this year somebody actually DID and decided to make it a problem.

That, and the unfortunate fact that the vendor area had to be moved to a heated tent outdoors since there was literally no other space available inside, are evidence that the show has gotten pretty ginormous. :) (And yet, there are still people who think MGC is the same relatively rinky-dink event it was in 2004 or 2006.)

I think that was Goodwillhunter's. Tempest and I got some mileage out of Football on that sucker. :-D

It was almost as exciting as watching real football! :D

Made pretty good time getting back to St. Louis. And now the temperature is the same here as when I left Brookfield, and it's raining. The weather followed me home!

It was almost as exciting as watching real football! :D

Made pretty good time getting back to St. Louis. And now the temperature is the same here as when I left Brookfield, and it's raining. The weather followed me home!

We need to start a league. So far it's me and Reichert, and I'm something like 2-27-1 in the series. :P

Glad you made it back safely! You picked a good time to leave; it's freezing and snowy and shitty here now.

Yes, I'll try to remember to bring a manual next year, so all can master the complex rules of Atari 2600 Football...you guys cracked me up!

Oh, don't worry, I've got about five copies of it kicking around in my collection. I'll bring one next year if we haven't memorized the playbook by then. :-D