IGNORED

IntyBASIC compiler v0.5

nanochess

Speaking of future....What in the world is your next game going to be, and when! You have been to quiet! :P :P :P

Im imagining Space Patrol 2 or something. Or Space Patrol vs Godzilla or something awesome!

Bueller?

**chuckle**

I am working on something, but I won't say what. :-) I will say you won't be disappointed.

Edited by intvnut

**chuckle**

I am working on something, but I won't say what. :-) I will say you won't be disappointed.

Sharks with lasers on their heads? YES! Confirmed!

j/k I think we are all going to be broke buying so many intv games in 2014/15! 16?

No, it isn't. dZ-Jay just used a Christmas Carol screen shot in his instructions on how to take screen shots. As I recall, it's built out of a version of his P-Machinery assembly language framework which he's described elsewhere.

I don't have any idea of whether IntyBASIC could scale to professional quality games, but I imagine it could and no reason to think it couldn't. There may be limits to the kinds of professional quality games you could make. It's usually easier to wring every last cycle out with assembly code, if you're good at such things, but not every great game requires that.

I leave it to nanochess and the IntyBASIC users to make a professional quality game happen. It looks like each new release has more neat stuff in it. Future's lookin' bright! :-)

Me? I'll be over here with my assembly code, 'cause I'm weird like that. ;-)

That is true, Christmas Carol is not built using IntyBasic, but with an older version of P-Machinery, in Assembly Language. My guess is that something like Christmas Carol could be made in IntyBasic, though it would be hard to replicate the animation sequences. Christmas Carol uses a custom "scripting engine" for the cut-scenes that could take advantage of a higher-level language, but the underlying game engine has some advantages over the current version of IntyBasic, one of which is an event-driven model instead of a procedural one. That may change in the future, as IntyBasic evolves.

Like intvnut, I am confident that in time professional-quality games can be made in IntyBasic, there's no reason that can't be the case. I myself will continue working on P-Machinery v2.0. My intention is not to compete with nanochess, but to enrich the tools available to the Intellivision programmer community. P-Machinery is a framework--a programming model--not a language, so it does not preclude BASIC or any other language.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don't buy into the myth of "professional quality games". Its 30 years too late for that :P. The idea behind the hobby is to have fun making a game that you like to play and doing it to the best of your own ability, while learning new stuff along the way (hopefully) and not aiming for a potentially unobtainable standard that is set by others.

If you want to code in BASIC, then go for it, if you want to code in BASIC and assembler go for it, or if 100% assembler floats your boat, then thats good too. Making a start is the hardest part if you aren't confident in your own abilities and haven't taken any computer programming classes since school/college. Just have a go, make something fun to play, take feedback on it and then see where it goes. If other people want to play your game thats always a bonus in my book.

• Like 3

Can someone program me a Professional Pong game for Intellivision?!!!!!!

:-D

Intellivision does not have PONG!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I know about Paddle Party, but it doesnt have a generic Pong game on it.

PM me

Are you implying I should program one for the Intellivision? :| ;)

• Like 1

Intellivision does not have PONG!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I know about Paddle Party, but it doesnt have a generic Pong game on it.

Are you implying I haven't written one already? Like, 14 years ago? ;-) ;-) ;-) Of course, having an IntyBASIC Pong could be a nice introduction for some.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the myth of "professional quality games". Its 30 years too late for that :P. The idea behind the hobby is to have fun making a game that you like to play and doing it to the best of your own ability, while learning new stuff along the way (hopefully) and not aiming for a potentially unobtainable standard that is set by others.

If you want to code in BASIC, then go for it, if you want to code in BASIC and assembler go for it, or if 100% assembler floats your boat, then thats good too. Making a start is the hardest part if you aren't confident in your own abilities and haven't taken any computer programming classes since school/college. Just have a go, make something fun to play, take feedback on it and then see where it goes. If other people want to play your game thats always a bonus in my book.

While I largely agree with the sentiment that this is a hobby and we do it for fun, I think you're jumping a bit hard on "professional quality game" here. I interpreted "professional quality game" in this context to mean "a game that would have fit right in had it come out back in the day," as opposed to "obviously inferior to the original catalog in all regards." Even that leaves a lot of wiggle room. What was "professional quality" in 1979 looked quite primitive as compared to the last games that came out 1989/1990 time frame.

You can write games in ECS BASIC, for example, but no one would place an ECS BASIC game above any of the original 125 quality-wise, and that includes the original Intellivision Zaxxon, Carnival and Donkey Kong. ECS BASIC puts a pretty low ceiling on what you can do with the machine. In stark contrast, I don't see IntyBASIC having that sort of limitation whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if you could write 4-Tris in a fraction of the time with IntyBASIC than I took originally.

And it was in that spirit that I answered the original question. :-)

Anyone wanna tackle a Space Patrol sequel in IntyBASIC? ;-)

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

Anyone wanna tackle a Space Patrol sequel in IntyBASIC? ;-)

I think that's best left in your very capable hands, and I interpreted the winking emoticon to mean you're already progressing on that very project, and for that good sir, I salute you and thank you in advance for creating another awesome game for us to play. :) Rev, please add Super Space Patrol to the upcoming homebrews list ASAP.

I think that's best left in your very capable hands, and I interpreted the winking emoticon to mean you're already progressing on that very project, and for that good sir, I salute you and thank you in advance for creating another awesome game for us to play. :) Rev, please add Super Space Patrol to the upcoming homebrews list ASAP.

*chuckle* No... That's not what I'm working on right now. But, I promise you I *am* working on something.

Hmmm, ok...Rev, please add "Joe is working on something awesome" to the upcoming homebrews list post haste. :)

LOL, thats not enough to go on!

At one time I may of had Super Pro Space Patrol on the list......

Now If I at least had the initials of the game, now we are talking! Right DZjay?

It will give us something to guess.

Are you implying I should program one for the Intellivision? :|;)

When Rev says he want "pong" he really means he wants a program that exactly replicates the gameplay from GI's AY- 3-8500 "Ball and Paddle" Chip that was used in many "TV Tennis" dedicated games back in the day.

Right?

Paddle Party doesn't do this, nor does Joe's Pong Game.

Catsfolly

250px-AY-3-8500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm tempted, but I would need to know if my game would work on a real Intellivision. I haven't delved into the Intellivision that much, is there a Harmony-like cart, or any other thing like it that lets you play stuff you made on your computer on the INTV?

There's the Cuttle Cart 3 (CC3), which was discontinued. If you're lucky, you may find one on eBay for an unreasonable price. I think they're going for something like $400.00 USD (it originally sold for $250.00).

Other than the CC3, I believe Voltron and some other AA members are about to release a flash-cart sometime this summer, so you may as well wait for that. In the meantime, the emulator on your PC will have to do.

OK, I downloaded everything and as1600 said there's 80 errors in test.bas.

What are the errors? Did you make sure to copy the necessary files as instructed? I believe that the BASIC compiler expects some library files in the current working directory. Also, you may want to add the SDK-1600 library files to your library path. Check out the assembler's documentation for more information.

-dZ.