IGNORED

KC Munchkin Monster Maze (Atari 2600)

Mr SQL

Why do you think this can't be done on the VCS? It has a vertical resolution of 192.

Good lord, okay, on the 1% chance that you're not trolling, color artifacting is caused by a sufficiently high horizontal resolution (256H or higher), not vertical resolution. TIA's horizontal resolution maxes out at 160H, and its pixels fall on even color clock boundaries by design, so "artifact colors" on the 2600, as the term is commonly used, are impossible.

But of course you knew that, and are just trying to string this out as long as you can.

Good lord, okay, on the 1% chance that you're not trolling, color artifacting is caused by a sufficiently high horizontal resolution (256H or higher), not vertical resolution. TIA's horizontal resolution maxes out at 160H, and its pixels fall on even color clock boundaries by design, so "artifact colors" on the 2600, as the term is commonly used, are impossible.

But of course you knew that, and are just trying to string this out as long as you can.

Zylon,

AtariBuff has the right idea! KC is all about fun gameplay! It's not about the artifact colours :)

But artifacting on the VCS is obviously possible, here is a pic that shows it more clearly than the vids:

post-30777-0-32837600-1404651386_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a copy of KC Monster Maze for a little while now and I really enjoy the game. The gameplay is fast and the graphics are nice to look at. I recently just got a "new" CRT TV and tried this game out on it to see how it was meant to be played and was blown away by the subtle effects that are lost on an led/lcd monitor. This is one of those games where it completely hooks you and you keep saying, "I'm going to give it one more try."

If you haven't picked this game up for your collection, I completely recommend it. You will not be sorry that you did. I'm also championing for a sequel to this. Perhaps it could add elements of KC's Krazy Chase?

Awesome idea killersquirel!! :)

I've shared the Monster Maze editor that could not fit into the game on the Atari forum, if anyone has any maze design ideas for the sequel please draw them and share! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Indeed she did! They are must-haves for a "complete" Starpath collection.

I still am in the air about this! Didn't the last two cassettes in the collection only come tape and manual. No box and they were in baggies if I recall so I would still have the other two games without boxes. Or am I just wrong and there were official boxes for those?

• 5 months later...

post-30777-0-79927200-1422728962_thumb.jpg

The KC Munchkin ROM is now free for all gamers to enjoy! :)

There's also a Level Editor for Windows that let's you edit the big maze and redefine any of the changing maze elements:

post-30777-0-05891600-1422729020_thumb.jpg

The Level Editor lets you save your your creations as new KC game ROM's, and there is a level design contest for the sequel!

The Editor also let's you preview the changing maze elements.

Build new KC Munchkin games and enter your ROM's in the contest!!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234429-kc-munchkin-rom-level-design-contest/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yo' Mr SQL,

Sure hope your plans to release the original K.C. Munchkin for the 2600 are still a go and being worked on. Then might we see K.C.'s Crazy Chase? :)

With my newfound appreciation for the game, going to give Monster Maze a try on real hardware and a CRT later today. Thanks for making this available as a download!

• Like 1

Thanks save2600, I like the KC-Chase idea :)

The non-scrolling version needs work to get it out of beta but it is not intended to mirror the original like PacmanPlus's awesome port for the 7800. It still has a large number of changing maze elements, the virtual world is still there even though it doesn't scroll and the tunnels are real tunnels that branch out into the virtual world and swing around to another side - changing maze blocks that you can't see inside the tunnels dictate what tunnel you and the monsters will come out of for more unpredictability. It's faster and harder to play because it never slows down - monster maze slows down a little when it scrolls to handle all the repositioning, makes it a little less nerve racking :)

There's also a new version of Monster Maze out on the Pouet demo party scene available for download in both NTSC and PAL format:

post-30777-0-20300200-1428630246_thumb.jpg

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=64999

I'm not sure I will finish the non-scrolling version after seeing the feedback PacmanPlus got on his fantasic reproduction port, but I will at least release the latest beta if I don't.

• Like 2