IGNORED

South Park: The Stick of Truth

WestofHouse

Anyone else planning to pick it up (release date March 4)? I haven't watched South Park in 15 years but I used to love it. I normally don't get excited about licensed games because more often than not they are disappointing, but after seeing IGN's preview the South Park game looks like a darn good RPG with an interesting combat system.

Best Buy are offering $10 rewards cash for pre-orders, and I had part of a gift card and a rewards certificate burning a hole in my pocket so I pulled the trigger. I've been hankering for a good RPG anyway.

• Like 1

I have had this pre-ordered since it was first announced! Very much looking forward to this. :) A RPG style game with adult humor and familiar characters baked in! Awesome combination for me. Really hoping the game is interesting and funny at the same time as it is very rare to find games that keep my attention and make me laugh. I think the last game I had that I really enjoyed and made me laugh while playing with others was Pro Wrestling for the NES. Really fun and funny at the same time with a ton of replay value.

Excellent! With this many AA'ers playing it we'll be able to share tips and tales from the town. I can't wait.

I started watching the show again at season three, which is about where I stopped watching it. I was sitting alone laughing out loud. I'd forgotten how funny it is.

I would prefer an Xbox One or PS4 version since I don't plan on buying any more last gen games, but I ended up pre-ordering the collector's edition for the PC since there's no guarantee those consoles will ever get a port. I'll be playing it mostly on my Surface Pro 2. It's been a long wait, but it looks like it will be worth.

It is rumored that this game is only around 15 hours long, which is disappointing. Maybe the side quests will add some hours to it.

These days, I don't consider this a negative at all. I want the game to just as long as it needs to without any filler or level grinding or unwanted fetch quests.

• Like 4

I also prefer a game to take between 10 and 20 hours, I just don't have the time in my life anymore to play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic end-to-end. I want a quicker conclusion, and then if I want to reply it I shall.

As to a PS4 version, if you don't have a PS3 anymore that makes sense. But otherwise, I don't see what the point to waiting would be.

I also prefer a game to take between 10 and 20 hours,

As Roger Ebert once said, "No good film is too long, and no bad movie is short enough." I feel that way about games. Sometimes I get half way through a game and I'm wondering if it's ever going to end. Other times I get to the end credits and I'm disappointed because I want to play more. I guess 15 hours is plenty if you're just charging through the main story line. But I like games that give you options and rewards for taking your time with more exploration. If nothing else, the four classes in South Park make it suited for replays, so we should be able to get our money's worth.

• Like 1

Many reviews went live overnight. Most give it high marks, including IGN who gave it a 9, but Gamespot panned it somewhat (7.0). What is consistent so far in all the reviews I've read is that the RPG experience is very shallow, and there is little difference between the classes (which means not much replay value). Looks to be a one and done game, which kind of makes me wish I'd waited for a price drop.

The game has BUGS on all platforms:

http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-the-kotaku-review-1535203089

So if anyone gets the game I would wait and player it later. Finish a couple of backlogs first at least thats what I'm doing. I'm going to finish up Thief before I start this and keep and eye out for patches.

Edited by cimerians

These days, I don't consider this a negative at all. I want the game to just as long as it needs to without any filler or level grinding or unwanted fetch quests.

I think games today tend to be shorter than I'd like. Filler doesn't make up for content as you say. I just hate the cynical method of making a game shorter to force people to buy DLC to feel content.

I think games today tend to be shorter than I'd like. Filler doesn't make up for content as you say. I just hate the cynical method of making a game shorter to force people to buy DLC to feel content.

I don't know about you, but I've found in my adult life that time is precious. So really, if it's 8 hours well spent, that's better to me than 20 hours of looser content (on a side note, the last two games I beat, Max on Xbox One and Contrast on PS4, were beaten for precisely the former reason). In fact, I almost prefer the shorter, tighter gameplay length, because that means I'm more likely to actually finish the thing.

It sounds like even though South Park is on the shorter side, it at least does away with the filler. It's also probably a special case for something like this where we have to consider the length of a typical episode versus the length of content we're getting in the game. It's practically half a season (or a bit more) of content in there.

With that said, I do agree that artificially shortening a game in deference to DLC is something no one needs, at least for games that we pay full price for. For a freemium game, it's at least understandable.

• Like 3

I read somewhere that there is already a patch out, so hopefully that will fix most of the bugs. Still, a day one patch doesn't speak well for the developers, especially considering how long this game has been in the works.

EDIT: I just saw that the Kotaku reviewer had installed the day one patch before playing and his issues continued, so hopefully more patches are on the way. Still, after watching the video he posted it's clear that his idea of a "major stutter" is much different than mine.

Edited by WestofHouse

I am seriously pissed about Ubisoft censoring the game for non-American audiences.

It's a complete mess. These are the different versions from what I gathered:

North America/South America (uncut on console and PC)

Germany/Austria console (swastikas removed, Nazi stuff removed, anal probe stuff removed)

Germany/Austria PC (swastikas removed, Nazi stuff removed)

Europe console (anal probes removed)

Europe PC (uncut)

Russia console (anal probes removed)

Russia PC (uncut)

Australia console & PC (anal probes removed)

Mind you, this is largely self-censoring by Ubisoft. The Nazi-stuff had to be removed in Germany because the symbols are against the constitution, and unlike films video games are not yet considered art or learning, in which case they could be used. Because of this difference in treatment South Park is available on TV and home video uncensored, but not on games.

The anal probe thing is however never a problem anywhere, save for maybe Australia, as the uncensored PC versions show. It is purely a marketing decision.

What remains for me is to wait for the PS3-version to get cheap and then import from the US.