IGNORED

7800basic beta, the release thread

RevEng

I've got "banksets on" as the first line of code and I'm using "set romsize 128KRAM". I'm not setting any extra DL memory but I am still just getting the rolling red and black bars.

I expect I'm missing something really obvious.

[edit]

Really obvious thing was my 7800basic was 0.22 and not 0.23.

All Good :) 

• Like 1

I dropped a new v0.24 7800basic release at github. Changes include... 

• feature: new "set tiavolume on" statement to allow volume control of TIA sound effects.
  • feature: new "set snes0pause on" "set snes1pause on" "set snes#pause on" statements to allow snes start button to control 7800basic pausing.
  • feature: new "setfade" "getfade" statements that facilitate fading colors in and out from black.
  • feature: v4 compliant a78 headers are now generated.
  • feature: new "set dumpgraphics" statement to export 7800basic graphics blocks to bin and asm files.
  • feature: new "incbin" statement, to include binary data in your game.
  • bugfix: snes pads now play nice with atarivox/savekey.
  • docfix: documented that "set dlmemory" is incompatible with banksets.

A big thanks to @darryl1970 for testing on the snes+avox fix!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I updated the 7800basic Guide and went to upload it to my website, but I can't upload it. Yahoo (Turbify) says "uploaded successfully," but there is no change. I reset my computer, but it didn't help. I'm guessing Turbify is having a problem and it's not my computer. You can only call them on weekdays during business hours, so I'll call on Monday.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2023 at 10:47 PM, Random Terrain said:

I updated the 7800basic Guide and went to upload it to my website, but I can't upload it. Yahoo (Turbify) says "uploaded successfully," but there is no change. I reset my computer, but it didn't help. I'm guessing Turbify is having a problem and it's not my computer. You can only call them on weekdays during business hours, so I'll call on Monday.

I didn't have to call Yahoo or whatever they are called. They upgraded to cPanel and now I can upload my pages again.

HTML version of the 7800basic Guide has been updated:

https://www.randomterrain.com/7800basic.html

If anyone notices any mistakes, please let me know.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Edit: The answer was that it was Karl being stupid. The image was actually 32x28, not 32x32. Making the image a multiple of the zone size fixed the issue.

So, after the discussion about 320C mode, I've been playing around with it a bit in 7800Basic. I'm trying to display a single 32x32 image. It doesn't display correctly, however. Specifically:

• With a zoneheight of 16, only the first 16 lines of the image is displayed (tallsprite is on)
  • With a zoneheight of 8, the entire image is displayed, but the boots are the wrong color

Is this a bug, or a case of Karl being stupid? Source zip is attached (unzips to test320c directory).

test320c.zip

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I dropped a new v0.27 7800basic release at github. Changes include...

• feature: RMT tracker import and playback
  • feature: significantly faster boxcollision when using constant height+width
  • feature: misc 7800header updates

In case anyone is wondering why... the version skipped ahead due to interim 7800AsmDevKit releases. (they're from the same code base, and have version parity)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

19 hours ago, RevEng said:

I dropped a new v0.27 7800basic release at github. Changes include...

• feature: RMT tracker import and playback
  • feature: significantly faster boxcollision when using constant height+width
  • feature: misc 7800header updates

In case anyone is wondering why... the version skipped ahead due to interim 7800AsmDevKit releases. (they're from the same code base, and have version parity)

HTML version of the 7800basic Guide has been updated:

https://www.randomterrain.com/7800basic.html

If anyone notices any mistakes, please let me know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

If anyone is looking to play with existing RMT songs, I added some basic RMT info at the POKEY section of the 7800 wiki, including a link to a downloadable SAP-wrapped RMT song collection. 7800basic and it's included RMT tools can deal with SAP wrapped RMT files directly. If you wish to strip the SAP part and work directly with RMT files, you can use provided 7800rmtfix program to do that.

If you're wanting to use an existing song in a game for sale, it would be a good idea to contact the author and get permission first.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

RMT Tracker is POKEY, right? Is there a tracker for 7800 BASIC that supports Yamaha? How about DMF files?

Yeah, correct - RMT is a POKEY based tracker.

The dmf2asm converter and bundled XMYM tracker I wrote works with yamaha ym2151, and comes with examples in assembly and 7800basic. Take heed that you need to steer the authoring tool, Deflemask, in a particular way to generate tracks that will play back correctly on the 7800 XMYM tracker - see the README for more info.

Fair warning that the dmf2asm/xmym code is a bit beta at this time. It was written when XM looked to be nearly ready to release, so we had a reasonable way to produce carts with optional yamaha support. Since this is no longer the case, I haven't spent any development effort on it, nor have I looked at integrating it more tightly with 7800basic; I'd rather spend my limited dev time on stuff that works with retail carts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I dropped a new v0.28 7800basic release at github. Changes include...

• feature: new multibutton controller paradigm, which allows simplified support for proline, snes gamepads (via snes2atari), and megadrive gamepads. (via mega7800) Controllers are autodetected and updated on-the-fly by 7800basic.
  • feature: megadrive gamepad support. (via mega7800)
  • feature: freed up space in 7800basic reserved area for converttobcd and math routines, if they're not used.
  • feature: freed up space in 7800basic reserved area by making pokey-based sound effects optional.
  • feature: added "-s" to 7800rmtfix, to produce stripped rmt files, suitable for use with incbin or compression.
  • fix: throw error when rmt is included without pokey support. (reported by AtariusMaximus)
  • fix: increased maximum number of dasm passes to allow complex projects to build. (reported by mksmith)
  • fix: incorrect abort due to space overflow. (reported by darryl1970)
  • fix: rare overflow in if...then parsing. (reported by AtariusMaximus)

A big thanks to:

•  @SainT for donating a 7800gd and mega7800 to the cause, and providing sample mega7800 code!
  • @Muddyfunster and @mksmith for running the new multibutton code through it's paces!
  • All of the bug reporters!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Awesome job Mike!! Thank you again for another great update!

The multibutton change is a real gamechanger as we don't need to worry about detection and it all happens automagically 👏👏👏  Whilst you can still directly access the snes2atari and mega7800 features this will make everything clean and easy!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SainT said:

Very much looking forward to people having a play with the mega7800 in homebrew! :D

Make sure to set the mega7800 controller flags in the A78 header so you don’t get any interference from the system menus.

I have a testbuild of A.R.T.I. using Mike's latest enhancements and it plays nicely with both the Mega7800 and SNES2Atari with extra button support. I could even hotswap with no issues :) 

As Matt mentioned, it's a gamechanger in how supporting these devices is now hugely simplified. 

Thanks Mike!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, RevEng said:

Thanks for the kind words, guys! As SainT said, I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do with it.

I think it's a worthwhile addition to any proline based game, if even just to allow the player to pause the game from the couch.

In agreement with all the comments. This is very exciting. Can't wait to check it out. Will have to redo Mousetrap's controller scheme to take advantage of the new options!

• Like 2