IGNORED

Conan on the Jaguar

BuddyBuddies

He thinks he is above you, is why he is not giving you any time. Again, it would probably take him literally 1 or 2 minutes to give you some good info. He is just being a jerk.

This is the way I look at these things. 25 years ago I worked for Burger King and it was a very simple job. If a super fan of Burger King out of the blue politely emailed me, giving me praise for my time I worked there and asking information about the work I did back in 1990 I would of course be flattered and happy to answer questions....but the more I thought about it, I would realize I do not remember a damn thing about the job, because I am not a super fan of Burger King and never was. It was just a job I did for money, nothing else.

When tracking down these old game guys, a lot of people forget they are most likely no longer a fan of that era and may have never been. They did their work, got their check and moved on. It was a job! Sometimes you get lucky but I would guess most of the time, the person contacting the old game guy, probably already knows MORE than the actual game guy himself ;)

• Like 8

When tracking down these old game guys, a lot of people forget they are most likely no longer a fan of that era and may have never been. They did their work, got their check and moved on. It was a job! Sometimes you get lucky but I would guess most of the time, the person contacting the old game guy, probably already knows MORE than the actual game guy himself ;)

Word.

Well, guys I think that pretty much sums it up. :)

Keep buying those TT's on ebay and dreaming ;)

you make it sound like they sell more often than they do :P

Auction sites do deserve a lot of credit for the discovery of many unreleased games across a lot of platforms though. I wouldn't say that I expect more unreleased games to be found (nor did I ever really expect to find one myself), but I don't discount the possibility.

This is the way I look at these things. 25 years ago I worked for Burger King and it was a very simple job. If a super fan of Burger King out of the blue politely emailed me, giving me praise for my time I worked there and asking information about the work I did back in 1990 I would of course be flattered and happy to answer questions....but the more I thought about it, I would realize I do not remember a damn thing about the job, because I am not a super fan of Burger King and never was. It was just a job I did for money, nothing else.

I suppose it really depends on who you're asking and the status of the project. If it was scrapped early in development, there is probably few who really know much about it. If you're asking a producer, manager, playtester .etc it may be one of 100's of games they dealt with. If you're asking a programmer or artist who spent a lot of time on the project and it was at a relatively advanced state of development they probably remember more. But as these individuals comprise only a small part of those who work toward bringing the product out it reduces your chances of coming in contact with someone who remembers much about a project after all this time.

I stalked/tracked down Karl Buiter, the developer of Sentinel Worlds - Future Magic, and he was more interested in MY job at the time, than he was in answering questions about a possible sequal... hahaha. It was almost a half-joke that I asked anyway.

All the guys from Starflight 1 & 2 (Binary Systems) were all very cool though. Not to say that Karl wasn't, but he clearly didn't want to talk about Sentinel Worlds. The guys from Starflight were super nice though.

• Like 1

From my limited/on-going experience of interviewing, you get a great mix of responses and answers.Cases in point:Simon Butler does'nt remember much about graphics he did for A8 Never Ending Story as it was so long ago, plus just a job, like any other from that time.Chris Shrig converted C64 Footballer Of The year to the A8, again, just a job he took on, his only A8 conversion...so your not going to get lots of detailed responses to questions like these, yet other questions you put, where you don't expect huge detail, suddenly yields unkown info, ie recent 1 with Alien Res.(PS1) coder, i knew there were 2 versions..3rd person, canned in favour of a FPS view, but answer came in there were 4 different versions written from concept to finish, so you never know what to expect until the answers come back in.

As regards issue of person putting questions knowing more....

Hmmn, it's personally rather been a case of myself being told by (insert magazine of your choice HERE :-) ) a 'Fact' then asking if this was true (be it case of planned A8/7800/Jaguar/Jag CD/ST etc etc version) and then bveing told they'd simply made this claim up (ohhh where to start here-so many games, so many formats, so many magazines...) and it's now become a case of the reader of mainstream Retro publications often knowing more than person who wrote article.

That sounds awfully arogant, but it's harsh but true at times in cases: of NES+A8 in UK, Doom on Saturn/PS1/Jaguar/32X who coded MS Strider, how games like Golden Axe on MS/Strider 2 on ST were recieved by UK Press, ST Myth being released (or not in that case) etc etc and simply seeking out the industry celbs you'd not seen interviewed or if they had, putting the questions you wanted asked to them.

It does'nt make you popular at all, believe me :-) but it's 'worth' investing the time.

From what i've read of it, it was 'inspired' by likes of:Golden Axe and King Of The Dragons.

:-) Thinking on questions i put to Conan Coder, maybe i scared him off?...i did ask him if those screenshots that were doing the rounds were 'real' or mock-ups.Might of been bit harsh, but ythere's been so much utter B.S posted in terms of 'Actual Jaguar screens' in adverts (Redline Racing) Promo.Material (Tomb Raider, Swagman etc) etc, i simply had to ask.Big aspect of the interview is finding facts behind claims online or in the press from the source/s direct.

Wow, reply back from Carlos already...

Good and bad news...
The Good:I know have the info i wanted on the game, such as it is...it's been passed onto Unseen64/GTW etc and it will put a few 'claims' about the game to bed etc, so fantastic result.
The 'bad':Since i've taken flak for multiple posts on here, due to only browser that works, rather than split Carlo's reply into multiple posts and set people off (again) the email/info has been forwarded to Albert, to go with the 2 Exclusive interviews i did on behalf of AA, so he can put it up as and when and where he likes, when he has the time.
So please, bear with us, the info has been found and will be shared, for free, as is my way in life.
If anyone wants it 'now' please PM me and i'll forward the email onto your email, if you give me somewhere to send it.

UPDATE:I've forwarded the info to a good few of the good folk on here now via Gmail and PM on here, which i'm delighted to do, but if anyone else would like a sneak peak, before Albert posts it up on here, when you message me, could you enc.an email where i can send info to, straight from my gmail account?.

Makes life a tad simpler.

Cheers.

:-)

UPDATE:I've forwarded the info to a good few of the good folk on here now via Gmail and PM on here, which i'm delighted to do, but if anyone else would like a sneak peak, before Albert posts it up on here, when you message me, could you enc.an email where i can send info to, straight from my gmail account?.

Makes life a tad simpler.

Cheers.

:-)

Do you think there is ANY chance that this might be a semi-completed project that Songbird Productions can tackle, if there's anything at this point?

Long and short of it (and it's not great news i'm afraid):

There is nothing to salvage, everything that 'was' has been lost........

And there was'nt very much to start with.Any talk of a level or levels being finished you might have read before? cast them into the tall grass.Game never got beyond a mere demo.designed for showcasing...no end of level boss for level 1, no complete to boss fight stage level either.....

Basically Conan leaving a house, fighting a few misc sprites...that was it.

Happy to forward you/anyone else the info whilst Albert tidys up that+other stuff i've sent but Conan is latest in long line of Case closed Jaguar missing games i'm afraid.

Lower profile news on Magic Carpet elsewhere, but stories taking on a pattern here.

Dev.kits yes.Game coding started...mere basics, at best.Reason games canned/never started?

More often than not, no one had faith in Atari's ability to make a go of the Jaguar.It's that simple.Conans case slightly different, but others? by the numbers.

• 9 months later...

Starting at 11:18 in this video is some footage of Conan. First time ever seen? Looks like a cool game..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03guo596Xfo

It's funny to see that. rB+ could drive that game with no problem.

Probably took them weeks/months to get to that point which could be done in hours/days now :)

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 3

From what i've read of it, it was 'inspired' by likes of:Golden Axe and King Of The Dragons.

Golden Axe is exactly what I was thinking, and how perfect would a port of that be? Side scrolling beat-em-up, easily replicated and improved graphics, three button control scheme...seems like it was a game begging to be ported to the Jag!

• Like 2