IGNORED

Char Codes

am1933

Can anyone actually do the character code conversions without resorting to looking at the table or am I just seriously shit?, I realise there are several tools for doing this but I am just talking in the purist sense.

P.S-I can actually define a solid block without refering to the table so maybe all is not lost. ;)

Edited by am1933

Yes. But probably only because I spent my youth defining characters on graph paper in addition to 30 years of programming. You get used to reading hex and 4-bit binary values. I still prefer using tools though, especially when you start increasing the bpp or adding color.

• Like 1

I never could do it as a kid - I never drew the connection between bits and the character representation - IIRC it wasn't mentioned in the manual... So, I remembered F and the single bits, but never of any of the stuff in between. Now, of course, sure, I can do it in my head. :)

-H

I find it really easy to do on the TI but I just seem to have a problem visualising mentally then converting to code-I think it is primarily down to not doing much in the way of programming when I first got my TI back in 1983, the first machine where I started to take an interest in programming was the BBC Micro and I still find it incredibly easy to do characters mentally, the characters are based on an 8 by 8 grid and accessed using a VDU 23 command followed by the character number to be redefined, the columns have values starting at 1 and doubling until you reach the 8th column value of 128, you simply total the filled in square values and add them to the VDU command, eg-VDU 23,240,28,28,8,127,8,20,34,65 would produce a little man.

Not so bloody easy to do sprites on the BBC though-there are none.

Can anyone actually do the character code conversions without resorting to looking at the table or am I just seriously shit?, I realise there are several tools for doing this but I am just talking in the purist sense.

P.S-I can actually define a solid block without refering to the table so maybe all is not lost. ;)

Hell No! I cheat! :-D

http://sometimes.planet-99.net/patterns.html

• Like 1

we do, but that's an itty biity rocket. i like big rockets. | :)

Sorry-my fault, I should have explained that this was just the first stage of my Saturn V rocket. When the next two stages are added it will look bigger and be considerably thicker at the bottom. ;)