IGNORED

Work in Progress: Sky Scraper 2115

Synthpopalooza

Sramierz2008 did you use the 48K ext for it? Still curious why it was failing to load up on mine initially. Unless this requires one of the later model Mateos carts? I think I have a ver3 that doesn't support 48P properly or something like that. Will check the rom Trebor has sent now. This started by the way because Synthpopalooza was curious how it would look through the UAV mod.

In case your wondering, I have a v3 Mateos cart.

post-21941-0-93952700-1507776587.jpg

Wow..okay so I tried a different USB cable that is only like 1' long instead of the 2' cable I usually use and that time it worked copying it over. So I guess like Inky, it would appear that my USB cable is to blame. Strange that other roms copy over okay with it. Unless I happen to get lucky when I copied over Ms. Pac 320 to it?

:thumbsup: 8)

Glad to see the root cause was found.

Luck of the draw on the success/error rate is definitely a possibility with respects to the 2' cable results. :)

Another small update.

The first 18 levels are back in ... this is just for testing purposes. I still haven't gotten bankswitching to work at all ... it's proving to be a real headache. But you can play the game up until about level 17 or so. Some of the positioning of the player and missle are off on some of the levels.

ramcharmap6f.bas.a78

ramcharmap6f.bas.bin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So, this has happened ...

And a game called Rikki and Vikki.  It's in 320B mode with no DMA issues.

I am looking into retooling my Sky Scraper project using this hardware setup and going all out by using an interlaced 160B mode.  Not sure how it will all work but I want to look into it.

Interlaced 160B will allow a whopping 91 colors per character, with a second palette possible too.  The look should be almost 16-bit.  I will try to work up some test screens.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I am going to have to entirely rework the project ... I had started on a 48K setup, but I need to work it into a 512K bankswitch format, which will require extensive code revision.  ?

Meanwhile, I am going to work up some music.  I have an idea for the background music for the first 5 levels ... the same music I used on the original 8-bit Atari XL version in 1990.  I have been doing some POKEY experiments using 2-tone and hi-pass filters, so I am going to introduce this into the music.  Will see how it goes. :)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I am going to have to entirely rework the project ... I had started on a 48K setup, but I need to work it into a 512K bankswitch format, which will require extensive code revision.  ?

Meanwhile, I am going to work up some music.  I have an idea for the background music for the first 5 levels ... the same music I used on the original 8-bit Atari XL version in 1990.  I have been doing some POKEY experiments using 2-tone and hi-pass filters, so I am going to introduce this into the music.  Will see how it goes. :)

Since you’re going to need a fancier cart design anyway, and since you’ve already seen what RIKKI & VIKKI can do, are at least considering using something other than increasingly-scarce POKEY chips for audio? It would be great if more folks started embracing cheaper options such as microcontroller-based trackers and sound engines that can be acquired for a couple dollars rather than $20 - $40 POKEY chips. :( 

• 3 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Sky Scraper 2115 on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2