IGNORED

My first steps into making Intv GFXs

The flame curls are a ice addition but unless you are going to use pre-shifted GRAM cards or multiplexing you'll be out of sprites for that room.

Ha ha, no worries... I know ;)

I'm going to adjust every single screen so I can use most of the graphics in each room

I've a program that let me know how many tiles (cards) I used and I can correct this on the fly

Ha ha, no worries... I know ;)

I'm going to adjust every single screen so I can use most of the graphics in each room

I've a program that let me know how many tiles (cards) I used and I can correct this on the fly

Its not always the number of tiles/cards that is the limiting factor. As soon as you have a multi-coloured player and moving enemies you use hardware sprites up quickly. Even more so if they are more than 8 pixels wide. In my mind its always better to make an accurate mock-up to make sure that you can achieve the room/level designs that make your game work.

• Like 1

Its not always the number of tiles/cards that is the limiting factor. As soon as you have a multi-coloured player and moving enemies you use hardware sprites up quickly. Even more so if they are more than 8 pixels wide. In my mind its always better to make an accurate mock-up to make sure that you can achieve the room/level designs that make your game work.

Good point

although, I usually put everything ''to the max''

then I downscale the project according to what I can do according to system' limitations

May not be ideal considering the amount of works required (adjusting GFXs etc..) but this is how you can put everything to the max

In example, I may probably end up doing 1 color only for the Fireball

Good point

although, I usually put everything ''to the max''

then I downscale the project according to what I can do according to system' limitations

May not be ideal considering the amount of works required (adjusting GFXs etc..) but this is how you can put everything to the max

In example, I may probably end up doing 1 color only for the Fireball

True! But sometimes you can get "more" by doing things differently. That could be at the cost of more ROM space or a more complex game engine. Its always a trade off when designing games to run on old machines.

True! But sometimes you can get "more" by doing things differently. That could be at the cost of more ROM space or a more complex game engine. Its always a trade off when designing games to run on old machines.

Yeah, I guess it all comes down to how the game designer personally works :)

I did the very same method for every INtv games I've designed, and I think they came up pretty well

It takes me probably 2x more time than doing it the ''usual way'', although when I'm later porting the game to other platforms, it saves me quite ALOT of time actually

Yeah, I guess it all comes down to how the game designer personally works :)

I did the very same method for every INtv games I've designed, and I think they came up pretty well

It takes me probably 2x more time than doing it the ''usual way'', although when I'm later porting the game to other platforms, it saves me quite ALOT of time actually

From my own experiences of coding on several different retro platforms its always best to design towards the strengths of the machine. That way you get the best game and don't have to make compromises that affect the way the game plays.

Edit: Anyways, I accept that people have different ways of working. Whatever they find productive and gets results is fine by me.

Edited by GroovyBee

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but would'nt spoil the game?

probably not if you kept every item off of it. Hell, you could include a sticker set of all the items to go with it in case someone wants to mark their findings.

EDIT: i know! I know! The collectors will have my head for thinking of a way to ruin the collectible swag.

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

probably not if you kept every item off of it. Hell, you could include a sticker set of all the items to go with it in case someone wants to mark their findings.

EDIT: i know! I know! The collectors will have my head for thinking of a way to ruin the collectible swag.

ha ha! Like the idea to include stickers :D

• Like 1

Should I include or not a map of the whole Temple with Sacred Tribe once it get released?

I mean, a map included with the manual, cart and box

It would not reveal where the treasures and enemies are, but you would have a map of all the rooms in the game (well, mostly ;) )

Thoughts ?

Sounds like a good idea but don't make it out of screenshots with things removed. Some kind of old treasure map would be good. Perhaps showing tombs and the total number of items to get from each. Things like "Danger", "Secret passageway", "Trap" written on it. Something "vague" like this :-

post-21935-0-04563500-1452245390_thumb.gif

Then you aren't giving very much of the game away.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good idea but don't make it out of screenshots with things removed. Some kind of old treasure map would be good. Perhaps showing tombs and the total number of items to get from each. Things like "Danger", "Secret passageway", "Trap" written on it. Something "vague" like this :-

attachicon.gif9.1map1.gif

Then you aren't giving very much of the game away.

Great idea !!!!

Should I include or not a map of the whole Temple with Sacred Tribe once it get released?

I mean, a map included with the manual, cart and box

It would not reveal where the treasures and enemies are, but you would have a map of all the rooms in the game (well, mostly ;) )

Thoughts ?

that's a wonderful idea!!!!

But the price of the final product will rise and I fear someone will complain...

just to be clear, I won't