IGNORED

My first steps into making Intv GFXs

Cool, I was really suspecting it was a memory limitation.

BTW, given what hardware video tricks you've already implemented, I'm wondering if you've yet tried recreating the double-resolution white-text overlay trick the TutorVision had. In other words, attempted to drive pin 14 (Ext Video) on the AY-3-8915 Color Processor Chip.

I haven't tried anything with the Ext Video pin. Do you have any docs on what the TutorVision hardware actually did?

I was under the impression that they merely decked it out with enough RAM to allow defining all 256 GRAM cards. You could then treat the whole display roughly as a 2-color bitmap, albeit at 160x96. Or, with the double-res mod, 160x192.

The Keyboard Component is the only peripheral I know of that actually did white-text overlay; however, it didn't use the AY-3-8915 Ext Video input. I'm guessing it was originally intended to, but they probably couldn't get its CRTC closely enough sync'd with the STIC dotclock.

I haven't tried anything with the Ext Video pin. Do you have any docs on what the TutorVision hardware actually did?

I was under the impression that they merely decked it out with enough RAM to allow defining all 256 GRAM cards. You could then treat the whole display roughly as a 2-color bitmap, albeit at 160x96. Or, with the double-res mod, 160x192.

The Keyboard Component is the only peripheral I know of that actually did white-text overlay; however, it didn't use the AY-3-8915 Ext Video input. I'm guessing it was originally intended to, but they probably couldn't get its CRTC closely enough sync'd with the STIC dotclock.

I think I had cross-wired some items in my head. I mixed up the white-overlay text of the Keyboard Component with the extra video capabilities of the TutorVision. :ponder: Looks this Wiki page discusses a bit of what we were talking about: http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=TMS9927_CRT_Controller&oldid=14909

Anyways, I've probably gone off-topic long enough on retroillucid's good graphics fun.

Not anymore

I can make graphics just by using Paint

As long as you know the Intv limitation, you can just take whatever paint program

The Elektronite tool was good for me to learn how the Intv graphics works

:)

Like Microsoft Paint?

:-D