IGNORED

The what can I do for the TI-Community weekend.

Omega-TI

Would anyone be interested in a day in the next month or two for a...

TI COMMUNITY GIVE BACK DAY?

Have you ever wanted to give a little something back to the TI-Community for all it has given you? All these great programmer's with their new programs. All these hardware guy's with their new carts and cards. All these guy's that helped the newbies or the returning TI'ers get back up to speed?

This could be your chance to help out someone you don't even know. I know, some of you are saying, "What the heck could I possibly contribute"? There are lots of 'little things' that a person could do.

For instance (but not limited to):

1) Do you have a copy of a software manual and a scanner? If so, many of the ones scanned decades ago are pretty bad scans, black & white, etc. Just scanning ONE manual in (not even a rare one) could really make a persons day.

2) Do you have a program you wrote for an obscure reason? Why not release it?

3) Are you artistic, could you ____________________________.

Any other ideas?

I'm going to actually suggest something practical instead of something useless this time....

I actually was thinking this a long time ago but this is the perfect opportunity to actually bring it up.

Way back in the day, going to TI user groups, our group (and I'm sure others) created a list of all the members and their expertise. That way you had the ability to determine who the right skilled person was for the task at hand. I still think it's a useful exercise and I really think the community could benefit by knowing who knows what. Not for bragging rights but for help, knowledge sharing, training, or whatever else can come from it.

Just a thought to throw out there....

Cheers!

-Dano

@CantStopClicking...

Not a bad idea—though, I have found that you get help from those able and willing to offer it as they are active and your posts are interesting or pleading. [This is a test] I think (not sure, however) that when you address them with the BBC (bulletin board code) for member names, that person is alerted—at least, that's what happens with quoted posts. I opened with such BBC for your name. Were you alerted to that fact?

...lee

@CantStopClicking...

Not a bad idea—though, I have found that you get help from those able and willing to offer it as they are active and your posts are interesting or pleading. [This is a test] I think (not sure, however) that when you address them with the BBC (bulletin board code) for member names, that person is alerted—at least, that's what happens with quoted posts. I opened with such BBC for your name. Were you alerted to that fact?

...lee

Hi Lee!

If I was notified, I didn't notice it. I'm assuming it would have alerted me via email?

I hazard to guess it would be an under-utilized list but, knowing who does what can sometimes cut to the chase when some is busy and doesn't have a chance to keep up on posts. Doesn't mean they'll have the time to do anything about it but it's worth a shot.

For example, like knowing who has the ability to upload to WHTECH. I know at least Greg McGill does but not sure about others.

Or who's good at documentation, who's good at PCB design, who's good at trouble-shooting hardware, who can program EPROM's, and so on.

I've heard from a number of people on the Yahoo group the common statement of, "I don't have anything to offer the group - so I stay quiet" but just because one doesn't have hard core intimate knowledge of the TI, doesn't mean they can't help. I, personally hate making documentation. Kevan, is awesome at it and I even think he likes doing it! (don't get me wrong, I am not speaking FOR kevan), I'm just using it as an example.

Anyhow, just my little ramblings...

Cheers!

-Dano

PS: Should anyone care, here's my list; I have some electronic skills, mostly soldering and light trouble-shooting, love building things and hope to make something of my own soon. My background is LAN/MAN/WAN networking in large scale environments. I like to tinker on my TI in the hardware arena but am aspiring to learn assembly language (although it ain't comin' easy to my little brain). I utilize DOS, Windows, Linux, Mac, and VMware in my normal routines. I spend most of my time on the Mac these days so I can help Mac users out. There's probably more I'm capable of but that's a start.

Yeah, it would have been by email—good to know. Thanks.

...lee

However, your reply does notify me via email that you "Lee quoted a post you made".

I think that's what you were referring to on the 'quoted notifications' previously (makes sense to me now).

Cheers!

-Dano

However, your reply does notify me via email that you "Lee quoted a post you made".

I think that's what you were referring to on the 'quoted notifications' previously (makes sense to me now).

Cheers!

-Dano

Yup.i just made an assumption (we know what those do!) about the BBC member tag. The only thing it does is make an active link that pops up the member's information box and takes you to the member's information page if you click on it.

...lee

it's really difficult over here due to the lack of TI love, but I could possibly devote a weekend to invading UK based forums and really pissing off loads of Spectrum and C64 fans by posting threads and pictures of Road Hunter everywhere. :grin:

some of you old men are evil. i like this place!

• Like 1

some of you old men are evil. i like this place!

Well-I can't speak for the other guys but I am EVIL incarnate, infact-when I go to Hell, I will stand before Satan on his throne of despair and simply say "GET THE F**K OUT OF MY CHAIR!!!" :mad:

But-for the time being, I have been true to my word and plastered a lot of TI stuff all over one of the more popular UK retro/gaming sites ;-)

I'm just waiting for my newest cartridge board design to show up at my door so that I can build and test them. If it works, it will be a non-inverted 512K cartridge (the opposite of the Guidry boards, but identical to the Über-GROM carts Jon, Tursi, and I have been working on). The nice thing on this one is that it will use any EPROM from 8K to 512K, and it will bank through the whole space in 8K increments without any need for the switches that were needed with the Guidry board of that size (I put up a picture of the 512K Guidry board in the cartridge thread a couple of weeks ago).

The bare boards of the new design should get here within the next week or so. I'll make sure I send one to Bob Carmany if they work, as he'll then be able to get practice making the EPROMS for these (and the Über-GROM) boards with it, as the build is the same, it just uses EPROMs instead of FLASH.

• Like 2

I'm just waiting for my newest cartridge board design to show up at my door so that I can build and test them. If it works, it will be a non-inverted 512K cartridge (the opposite of the Guidry boards, but identical to the Über-GROM carts Jon, Tursi, and I have been working on). The nice thing on this one is that it will use any EPROM from 8K to 512K, and it will bank through the whole space in 8K increments without any need for the switches that were needed with the Guidry board of that size (I put up a picture of the 512K Guidry board in the cartridge thread a couple of weeks ago).

The bare boards of the new design should get here within the next week or so. I'll make sure I send one to Bob Carmany if they work, as he'll then be able to get practice making the EPROMS for these (and the Über-GROM) boards with it, as the build is the same, it just uses EPROMs instead of FLASH.

Say WHA????

I'm excited to hear and better yet, SEE the results! Keep us informed!

and DEFINITELY put me down for one of those buggers! +1 here!

-Dano

PS: I have EPROM burner (and EPROMs) as well, so if any testing needs to be done, I can assist.

Note that this basically has all of the ROM-side capabilities of the Über-GROM, but no GROM-simulation capability, Dano. I did the layout on a whim last weekend, as I wanted to reduce the part count on the 512K Guidry board and I realized it would be really easy to replace the 74LS379 with a 74LS378 and make the necessary changes to the traces on the board. I then ordered a batch of them to test on Monday, and was informed this morning that they were in the mail, so I should see them in a week or so. :)

Note that this basically has all of the ROM-side capabilities of the Über-GROM, but no GROM-simulation capability, Dano. I did the layout on a whim last weekend, as I wanted to reduce the part count on the 512K Guidry board and I realized it would be really easy to replace the 74LS379 with a 74LS378 and make the necessary changes to the traces on the board. I then ordered a batch of them to test on Monday, and was informed this morning that they were in the mail, so I should see them in a week or so. :)

Boy, not having the inverted signals would sure be nice. Trying to learn the logic behind this stuff and inversion just throws my brain for loops (which really isn't difficult to do).

Either way, still excited to see what you end up with!

BTW: What app are you using to design your boards? I really need help with EagleCAD and figuring out how to create a non-square board and attach card edge connectors. Can't figure it out, so I've been stuck for the last year with no help. :-/

Cheers!

-Dano

The nice thing on this one is that it will use any EPROM from 8K to 512K, and it will bank through the whole space in 8K increments without any need for the switches that were needed with the Guidry board of that size (I put up a picture of the 512K Guidry board in the cartridge thread a couple of weeks ago).

Sounds great, I'm thinking streaming content... Does the 378 also have an indeterministic start-up bank?