IGNORED

Graphical adventure using Missing Link

Retrospect

I'm starting a new project which is a graphical adventure for the TI using The Missing Link software.

I understand Tursi's Convert 9918 software no longer outputs to TI Artist file? (did it do that before?)

If it did output to TI artist, I need to grab an older revision of Convert so I can use the images within TML

I'll leave you with these two images for now :)

post-34058-0-59243600-1395094834_thumb.png

post-34058-0-03445300-1395094836_thumb.png

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 3

Enter house, take shotgun, shoot family, get possessed by Satan, go up, talk to priest who is covered in flies. ;)

ha haa ... you got it.

I've yet to think of a plot and title for the game .... it might just feature the house itself, or I might go the whole Amityville Horror thing and do a game based upon the original film. The Lutz's kids will have to sue me. :)

• Like 1

Enter house, take shotgun, shoot family, get possessed by Satan, go up, talk to priest who is covered in flies. ;)

On the housing estate where I was brought up, that would be a fairly normal evening. You'd just need to add "go rob a few houses and break into some cars"!

Rough...? I'll tell ya about rough!

• Like 1

On the housing estate where I was brought up, that would be a fairly normal evening. You'd just need to add "go rob a few houses and break into some cars"!

Rough...? I'll tell ya about rough!

Now,that is all very well but when I were a lad we had it tough, we used to get up at 3 in the morning, eat a handful of hot gravel, kill ourselves, work 27 hours a day at mill for no money-where mill owner would beat us viciously and make us pay for the privelage then we would go home to our sceptic tank where father would thrash us to sleep with his belt before taking our trembling corpses outside to be used for target practice at the local artillery range.

And you tell that to the young folk these day-and they won't believe you.

The place I grew up in just had a large collection of random drug addicts wandering around. If you wanted to study the bad effects of any given chemical substance available at the time, there were always two or three subjects using that chemical available for observation. It was a great lesson showing WHY most illicit substances should be avoided. . .

• Like 1

Now,that is all very well but when I were a lad we had it tough, we used to get up at 3 in the morning, eat a handful of hot gravel, kill ourselves, work 27 hours a day at mill for no money-where mill owner would beat us viciously and make us pay for the privelage then we would go home to our sceptic tank where father would thrash us to sleep with his belt before taking our trembling corpses outside to be used for target practice at the local artillery range.

And you tell that to the young folk these day-and they won't believe you.

Aye! And father would beat us wi' a broken bottle. And that's if we were lucky!

Don't even mention having to be sold for medical experiments! ("Everrrrrrry sperrrrrrrm is saaaaaacred...!")

All well and good, but what about the original question, which was if anyone had an older copy of Convert 9918 that can handle TI-Artist format?

Yes. Here's a version that does it.

Edit: Removed very early version, as current version has the functionality required.

Edited by Willsy
  • Like 1

Ok, I've fired it up and tried to save out in TI ARTIST format ....

My only options to save out to are these;

TIFILES format header
V9T9 format header

RAW files

RLE files

XB program

XB RLE

Is TI files the same as TI artist? (cos if so, I will use the newer one)

Okay, everything's cool .... I've started the project and all I need now is the time to do it properly and do it justice, not rushing things.

Here's an experimental picture with text I just made, to start it off ...

post-34058-0-51272500-1395179896_thumb.png

I love the text , it's compact enough to get the info on the screen.

I'd rather not have older versions of my software distributed here... the current version outputs TI Artist files just fine. That has always been the primary preferred format. Remember that "TI Artist format" is just two raw dumps of VDP data. Because it writes individual files to the disk, and not a disk image, it needs to know whether you want TIFILES format or V9T9 format. Unless you have a reason to otherwise, use TIFILES format. :) Both formats are understood by the software that copies to disk images and by Classic99. ;)

• Like 1

I'd rather not have older versions of my software distributed here... the current version outputs TI Artist files just fine. That has always been the primary preferred format. Remember that "TI Artist format" is just two raw dumps of VDP data. Because it writes individual files to the disk, and not a disk image, it needs to know whether you want TIFILES format or V9T9 format. Unless you have a reason to otherwise, use TIFILES format. :) Both formats are understood by the software that copies to disk images and by Classic99. ;)

Yeah that's fine, I realised as soon as I experimented with TIFILES.

I will use the newer one and won't re-distribute the older one, I only would ever ask if I (wrongly) thought that something wasn't being supported anymore :)

Thanks again to Willsy for digging it up for me but it turns out I didn't need it.

(Beyond that, looking forward to the game! A creepy text adventure was actually one of the original motivations of this converter ;) )

OoOo coincidences..!

The game is going to be more than creepy .... I'm hoping it outright scares people! In parts I'm hoping I can execute things quick enough to make you jump.

Here's some more spoilers

post-34058-0-53420700-1395187740_thumb.png

post-34058-0-56696400-1395187746_thumb.png

• Like 1

I was always really impressed by the Level 9 adventures and seem to remember that they worked on a text compression engine called A-code, this was supposed to be easily portable between different systems but never made it to the TI due to it's untimely death.(not too sure if it was only portable between Z80 and 6502 machines-which is probably the case).

I know that level 9 did graphic adventures that worked on machines with the 9918/28 such as the Memotech and MSX, It would be nice to see any adventure on the TI that was not a slave to the crappy two word input system with even crappier parser(such as the Scott Adams series), Infocom get a bye on this charge.

• Like 1

I was always really impressed by the Level 9 adventures and seem to remember that they worked on a text compression engine called A-code, this was supposed to be easily portable between different systems but never made it to the TI due to it's untimely death.(not too sure if it was only portable between Z80 and 6502 machines-which is probably the case).

I know that level 9 did graphic adventures that worked on machines with the 9918/28 such as the Memotech and MSX, It would be nice to see any adventure on the TI that was not a slave to the crappy two word input system with even crappier parser(such as the Scott Adams series), Infocom get a bye on this charge.

Yeah I like the Infocom adventure games .... I would love for mine to be styled after one of they're own, but unfortunately I have very little experience in making adventures, but just always wanted to do one , so I can't promise the parser is going to be any better than Scott Adam's two-word parser.

I did make an adventure about two years ago, which was a simple black and white text game, in which you had to find items .... the parser used in that was a two-worder. The locations were set up in an array and depending on your X,Y position the words GO NORTH might or might not take you north, or GET SPADE might or might not work, etc .... The parser in fact worked quite well, and the way it was written saved me a lot of memory, because I nearly wrote all INPUTs for each room, which would have worked out very memory expensive.

• Like 1

Made some progress on the project tonight / this morning (uk time)

Firstly title screen with "press space to start" written into the digitised pic;
post-34058-0-93928200-1395198490_thumb.png

Secondly the first room of your adventure, the upper bedroom.
post-34058-0-34644400-1395198499_thumb.png

These are more or less prototype stage and will probably be tidied up a lot later on.

• Like 3

I'd rather not have older versions of my software distributed here... the current version outputs TI Artist files just fine.

Noted. I've removed the attachment from my post. TIers please note: THe current version of Tursi's software does contain the ability to save as TI Artist format files.

It looks great already! Very atmospheric! One suggestion: Can we lose the all upper case text and use normal mixed-case text? Does TML let you do that?

I'm not sure, come to think ... I'll test that later .

I'm sure I recall seeing a font file within the TML set .... maybe there's different presets