IGNORED

TI99 related videos

Retrospect

If anyone finds vintage video footage of me uploaded to YT demoing stuff for TI99, let me know, I know a few fairs which were videotaped onto VHS I did back in '80s/90s were converted to DVD, but I have yet to see any.

Would be great for laugh to see how I behave again back 30 years ago. -- Ugh! :)

He's probably not very affluent with the subject he talks of. That happens a lot on Youtube. He seems very enthusiastic about it though!

He should really get over to these forums or the TI Game shelf and witness the kind of games Rasmus puts out, he'd be amazed.

Too many people are only aware of the "traditional" games and programs for the TI, they don't realise it lives on and stuff still gets produced.

Jeez.

Check out his episode 2. Calls the TEII more advanced than XB. It enhances the built in BASIC!!!!! Oh and XB he calls BASIC Extended

Well, perhaps not "more advanced" in the way he thought at the time, but for speech, it is indeed "more advanced than XB" and "enhances the built in Basic" in that it allows TI Basic access to text-to-speech technology embedded in the TEII cartridge. XB cannot do that unless the on-board TEII routines are somehow made available to XB. I wonder whether they are in an ALC library somewhere. Didn't @Stuart do something with that? Maybe I'm thinking of his description of the TI-990 portable development system. I'll have to do some research.

...lee

• Like 1

Yep, brilliant ! :thumbsup:

If one does a search for yAOlEImLGx0 (while in the main TI-99/4A Programming forum) then you'll see the video has already been referenced. Not that it matter much. ;)

vectrexroli is a member here.

Since then he made yet another nice TI video ... :)

I think it is time to issue a ban on future Roli features - HOW DARE HE DIRTY THE WONDERFUL GIFT THAT IS THE TI99/4a BY STICKING A BLOODY ZX SPECTRUM PLUS NEXT TO IT ;)

Jeez.

Check out his episode 2. Calls the TEII more advanced than XB. It enhances the built in BASIC!!!!! Oh and XB he calls BASIC Extended

Oh come on. I think his video was just fine. It is enthusiastic and shares his thoughts about a system he obviously enjoys. Was there really nothing better to pick out of his video than TEII and XB quibbles?

He's probably not very affluent with the subject he talks of. That happens a lot on Youtube. He seems very enthusiastic about it though!

He should really get over to these forums or the TI Game shelf and witness the kind of games Rasmus puts out, he'd be amazed.

Too many people are only aware of the "traditional" games and programs for the TI, they don't realise it lives on and stuff still gets produced.

He has actually commented on my Road Hunter video on YouTube: "Awesome stuff, great work!!"

• Like 1

I think it is time to issue a ban on future Roli features - HOW DARE HE DIRTY THE WONDERFUL GIFT THAT IS THE TI99/4a BY STICKING A BLOODY ZX SPECTRUM PLUS NEXT TO IT ;)

Hey! Don't dis the speccy, or it's me and you behind the history block at playtime! :grin:

• Like 1

Hey! Don't dis the speccy, or it's me and you behind the history block at playtime! :grin:

Hehe .... the Spectrum vs everything else debate caused more fights at our old school than you would believe.

Generally, you were in the "cool" crowd if you owned a Spectrum, you were accepted if you owned a Commodore 64, the Amstrad users were looked upon with slight mirth, and the poor bastard who owned a BBC kept getting his head kicked in at playtime.

• Like 1

I have a terrible confession to make- I own a 16k Spectrum, 48k Spectrum, Spectrum+, Spectrum+128, Spectrum+2, Spectrum+2a and a Spectrum +3 and with the exception of the amstrad manufactured 2 and 3-I love them all :( .

The thing that really got me was the sanctimonious crap that gushed forth from ignorant users of Sinclair and CBM machines when I was at school and this has always coloured the way I think about them. If you look through UK based forums you will see that little has changed and a lot of them are still completely ignorant to life outwith their own little bubble.

When I was a kid of about 12, I got into computers in a big way and would read everything I could find on just about any machine, this made me desire machines that nobody else had the slightest interest in.

I loved going into Tandys and playing with the CoCo's, I also loved the look of the Dragon but I never really wanted a C64 or a Spectrum(I did secretly yearn for a BBC), I would have killed for an Enterprise 128 or a Memotech MTX512.

Remember-loving the TI99/4a in the UK as a kid mentally scarred me and in computing circles made me about as popular as a paedophile on a bouncy castle :( .

So endeth the therapy session :grin:

When I was a kid of about 12, I got into computers in a big way and would read everything I could find on just about any machine, this made me desire machines that nobody else had the slightest interest in.

Exactly the same with me. I had a TI and ZX Spectrum, but I would often loan out my ZX Spectrum (much to my parent's annoyance) to a friend just to get a shot at their computer. That the other machine was inferior to my spectrum made no difference to me. For example, I exchanged my Speccy for a Vic-20 for a few weeks, an Oric-1 (nice little thing), a Dragon 32 (also nice, with good BASIC), and even a ZX-81 from my friend Jon, who was delighted to get a Speccy with loads of games and colour and sound for a few weeks.

Later on, when the computer crash ensued, I was bought an Atari 800XL for Christmas (it would be 84 or 85). I actually wanted a Commodore 16 or a Plus/4 but we couldn't get hold of one, so my parents "negotiated" with me for an 800XL. Great machine. Hours of fun on it poking its innards with POKE commands and POKEing 6502 assembler code direct into RAM from a BASIC program (same with the Speccy, actually).

Wonder whatever the hell happened to that 800XL... Where in hell did it go?

Edited by Willsy
  • Like 1

Exactly the same with me. I had a TI and ZX Spectrum, but I would often loan out my ZX Spectrum (much to my parent's annoyance) to a friend just to get a shot at their computer. That the other machine was inferior to my spectrum made no difference to me. For example, I exchanged my Speccy for a Vic-20 for a few weeks, an Oric-1 (nice little thing), a Dragon 32 (also nice, with good BASIC), and even a ZX-81 from my friend Jon, who was delighted to get a Speccy with loads of games and colour and sound for a few weeks.

Later on, when the computer crash ensued, I was bought an Atari 800XL for Christmas (it would be 84 or 85). I actually wanted a Commodore 16 or a Plus/4 but we couldn't get hold of one, so my parents "negotiated" with me for an 800XL. Great machine. Hours of fun on it poking its innards with POKE commands and POKEing 6502 assembler code direct into RAM from a BASIC program (same with the Speccy, actually).

Wonder whatever the hell happened to that 800XL... Where in hell did it go?

all disturbingly familiar, I got an 800xl starter pack in 1985 for the princely sum of £94.99 and about 6 months later I bought the 1050 disk starter pack, I now had two 800xl's-I swapped one for a 48k ZX Spectrum.

I know what happened to one of my 800xl's but have absolutely no idea where the other one went.

Is there some strange parallel dimension that absorbs 800xl's from the space/time continiuum?

• Like 2

That same thing has happened not to me, for I never owned an atari, but to my friend who DID own an Atari 65XE (800 in poncey casing)

He had it for a while and then got a C64 ... but to this day still says "I don't know what happened to that Atari 65 of mine, even my mum doesn't know"

I'm starting to think 8-bit Atari's evaporate after you get another computer.

• Like 2

I never had any contact to Spectrum users, most had a C64, I had some contacts with fellow TIers, but I was always wondering how the Spectrum compared to the TI.

Now with MESS, I finally had a chance to get a glimpse, but the first impression was quite, well, modest. In fact, now I know that our TI has a fairly pretty presentation with its master title screen, module selection, and the Basic. Although, as we know, the stock console has its disappointments, without any doubts.

So if you had a Spectrum, how did it "feel" like? (Apart from the rubber keyboard.)

We were three kids that owned TI's. I had Mini Memory, TEII, Munchman, Parsec, the Speech Synth and a lot of books. The one other kid had XB and the Expansion Box and Joysticks. A lot of kids had ZX81's and a couple had Spectrums. A couple had VIC20's and the rich kids hat C64's.

A friend of mine's father worked at one of the first Computer companies in South Africa that had access to mainframes, and minis. The father worked on a 990, and gave me a mini computer that dated from the 70's that had a master unit, which you loaded the OS from a tape. It had a 10MB hard drive (one of those old disc pack things that looked like a washing machine). There was only a database on it. (Was used for customer records in a clothing franchise). There was also a slave terminal that was attached to the Master. This father also gave me training material for the 990, that included some tapes, and four books that covered 990 assembly language, and high level languages like COBOL and BASIC AND PASCAL, as well as how to program the front panel of the 990, as well as to how to type your code on a punch card. These I still have (31 years later).

I liked to use the C64, but did not like programming on the Spectrum due to your inability to "type" in a program, but had to use combinations of keys to get a command in your program.

The only thing I liked about the Speccy was the "waftertape"

Our church had a Spectrum QL, which I also liked.