IGNORED

Setting up IntyBasic on Ubuntu 13.10

I just downloaded it and tried it, and there really wasn't anything to set up. Just unzip it and run "intybasic_linux test.bas test.asm" and I got an ASM file I could assemble. I was able to assemble that and run it, no problem.

You do need SDK-1600 to assemble its output, and jzIntv to run it. (And, to run jzIntv, you'll need to acquire the exec.bin and grom.bin from Intellivision Lives! or similar).

If you have a 64-bit Linux box, you can use the attached build of jzIntv / SDK-1600. This is the latest dev version of jzIntv + as1600, compiled under x86-64 Linux (specifically, Ubuntu 10.10) If you are using 32-bit Linux, then you will need to build jzIntv from source. I don't currently have a 32-bit Linux box handy.

Easiest way to set everything up:

• Unpack jzintv to $HOME/jzintv
  • Unpack intybasic to $HOME/intybasic
  • Add $HOME/jzintv/bin and $HOME/intybasic to your PATH
    • If you're using bash, add these lines to your .profile:
      • export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/jzintv/bin:$HOME/intybasic
      • export JZINTV_ROM_PATH=$HOME/jzintv/rom
      • export AS1600_PATH=$HOME/jzintv/examples/library
    • If you're using tcsh, my condolences. ;-) The following should work, but I haven't tested it. Add the following lines to your .login file:
      • set path = ( $path $HOME/jzintv/bin $HOME/intybasic )
      • setenv JZINTV_ROM_PATH $HOME/jzintv/rom
      • setenv AS1600_PATH $HOME/jzintv/examples/library
    • NOTE: You need to "source" these files in any already-open windows for the changes to take effect. (eg. "source ~/.profile" or "source ~/.login")
  • Put exec.bin and grom.bin in jzIntv's ROM folder ($HOME/jzintv/rom). Make sure they're named in lowercase.
  • Compile, assemble and run test.bas. For this example, we'll build everything in /tmp/test:
    • mkdir /tmp/test
    • cp $HOME/intybasic/test.bas /tmp/test
    • cp $HOME/intybasic/intybasic_prologue.asm /tmp/test
    • cp $HOME/intybasic/intybasic_epilogue.asm /tmp/test
    • cd /tmp/test
    • intybasic_linux test.bas test.asm
    • as1600 -o test test.asm
    • jzintv ./test

And that should do it.

jzintv-linux-x64-20140322.zip

• Like 1

Thanks. After I extract the files, I try to open the Linux file and I get nothing. If I can't get this working tonight it's OK - I just received my copy of Christmas Carol in the mail earlier so I can try that out.

BTW, I just now noticed you had posted this while I was typing my other message.

The intybasic_linux compiler is a command line tool, as is AS1600. You will need to use all of this from the command line. If you're just clicking on it in a file chooser, then yes, you'll likely see nothing happen.

Thanks. After I extract the files, I try to open the Linux file and I get nothing. If I can't get this working tonight it's OK - I just received my copy of Christmas Carol in the mail earlier so I can try that out.

Cool! Let me know how you like the game. :)

-dZ.

Cool! Let me know how you like the game. :)

-dZ.

It was actually like Christmas opening up the game and putting it into my Intellivision! I've only played the game a few times and I really like it so far. It's amazing the capabilities the Inty has when someone takes their time to design a game. Great work! Everything from the game, to the packaging, overlays, and instructions is top notch. Thanks.