IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

NEOGEO: A Visual History Book Review.

The NEOGEO brand must be one of the most iconic within the retro scene. It’s no surprise, then, that a book about its history would be released. NEOGEO: a visual history is an officially licensed art book that celebrates all things NEOGEO. As this is an official release, Bitmap Books have had exclusive access to those people mostly associated with the NEOGEO and its games from concept drawings, artwork and interviews.

Pages_1_2.jpg?resize=800%2C267

The book has an amazing 400 pages worth of content, A4 in size and available in hardback only. The cover just screams NEOGEO at you, like Bitmap Books previous “Compendium Books” this is yet another stunning volume to grace anyone’s book collection.  A stunning metallic gold ink is used throughout the book and the binding employs thread rather than glue giving it more durability.  The first few pages cover the team behind the books creation, a contents page and a foreword from Yutaka Noguchi the current Director of SNK’s gaming division. Essentially the book is packed full of beautiful visuals split into dedicated chapters, including Hardware, Box Art, Character and Concept Art and Pixel Art covering the entire NEOGEO brand from 1973 to 2017.

Pages_3_4.jpg?resize=800%2C267

The first few sections really are some of the most fascinating reading about the Japanese Games industry since the The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers books. These sections cover the early years of the SNK, from 1973 -1989, when the company founded by Eikichi Kawasaki created SNK’s first Arcade machines. The next section covers the beginning of the NEOGEO era, from 1990-2004, and the amount of information is simply sublime. There are some early artist impressions otherwise rarely seen, patent imagery and many facts about this period of the brand.

Pages_5_6.jpg?resize=800%2C267

The hardware section of the book has some stunning full-page macro shots of all the systems that fall under the NEOGEO umbrella, including peripherals. Each of these are accompanied with a small paragraph of facts. One that stood out was one of a Mahjong Controller that I’ve personally never heard of, let alone seen. The next couple of sections is where the book springs to life for me. The box-art and in-game screen captures, all these images simply jump out in glorious detail and the printing technique is always on point, another plus with all the Bitmap Book releases.

Pages_7_8.jpg?resize=720%2C240

The final few sections cover other Artwork, Interviews, the later years 2005-2017 and a very useful master game list for the MVS, AES and CD systems. The addition of some interviews with collectors of the NEOGEO adds a lovely personal touch and a very envious reviewer here that would love to have a third of some of what they own. The book just oozes content. It’s clear Sam and his team did a magical job here so credit must go to those guys as well the editor, Steve Jarratt.

Overall this book is a real in-depth look at the history of the SNK NEOGEO Brand, every page turn simply punched outwards with vibrancy and content.

Bitmap Books

Review Score
  •  
    RVG Rating - 9/10
9/10

Summary

A stunning homage to the NEOGEO, packed with gorgeous imagery and content, all in one fantastic book.

Anthony...

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 2:02 PM, fdurso224 said:

Oh, that one. That game is Ragnagard. Sorry about that Leeroy.

Anthony..

That's the one.

Out of curiosity are there any other NG games (in general) that try the rendered polygon look or is this the only one? I'd assume post 1996 more games would try it to compete with the 3D consoles of the time.

3 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

That's the one.

Out of curiosity are there any other NG games (in general) that try the rendered polygon look or is this the only one? I'd assume post 1996 more games would try it to compete with the 3D consoles of the time.

How about racing games like Neo Drift Out: New Technology by Visco for the Neo-Geo Leeroy. That is my top racing game on the system. Play the heck out of it/ Looked graphically impressive for its time.

Then there's Over Top that was developed by by ADK for the Neo-Geo. Not as impressive as Neo Drift Out. But close enough.

Anthony...

Hi guys,

It’s time for a new kind of mission! Enjoy a brand-new tactical RPG based in the Metal Slug universe when Metal Slug Tactics from

Anthony...

Hi guys,

M6pdORj5_bigger.jpg

Metal Slug Tactics deploys on the Switch next year courtesy of

#MetalSlugTactics #Switch #neogeo

Marco and the gang take the fight to the Switch next year with Metal Slug Tactics

Metal Slug Tactics Switch

During Summer Game Fest in June, Dotemu and SNK revealed the development of Metal Slug Tactics for PC. A tactical RPG set in the long-running run-‘n-gun shooter’s universe, the game allows you to command the Peregrine Falcons Marco, Fio, Tarma, and Eri, as you wage war in turn-based battles against Morden’s forces. As a big fan of the series and SRPGs, I thought the news was a match made in heaven and I couldn’t wait to see how the series’ iconic weapons would be implemented into Metal Slug Tactics’ grid-based battles. My only complaint was that, at the time of our reporting, only coming to PC.

Thankfully, that’s no longer the case. During the Nintendo Indie World Showcase, it was revealed that the game will be making its way to the big N’s hybrid console in a fresh gameplay trailer.

The trailer is short, clocking in at just under a minute. However, it does a good job of showcasing some of the game’s mechanics, units, and gorgeous hand-drawn visuals that look to remain very faithful to the series’ Neo Geo roots.

You can find a rundown of the game’s story courtesy of Dotemu below:

“Donald Morden is back! After a long time being hidden in a country opposed to the World Government, he patiently staged a coup d’etat and is finally ready to take revenge upon the World with the army he gathered throughout the years.

The Peregrine Falcons will have to do everything in their power to make it through the enemy lines and take down Morden before we get further into the war!”

Metal Slug Tactics will release for the Nintendo Switch and Steam in 2022.

So, are you happy to see the game getting a console release? Additionally, what do you think of the latest trailer for the game? As always, we love to hear what you think. Sound off in the comments and let us know.

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【KOF XV】 ANTONOV, RAMÓN, and KING OF DINOSAURS enter KOF as TEAM G.A.W. (GALAXY ANTON WRESTLING)! >ANTONOV https://youtu.be/C8qPFEX2Cgs

>RAMÓN https://youtu.be/P6w5BxaO1qk

>KING OF DINOSAURS https://youtu.be/Wuic3iUsN8A

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【KOF XV】 「G.A.W. チーム参戦記念キャンペーン」を開催! アカウントをフォロー&このツイートをRTで、 ・ラモン役:#勝沼紀義 さん ・アントノフ役:#菱田盛之 さん ・キング・オブ・ダイナソー役:#花田光 さん のサインが当たります! キャンペーンは8/25(水)まで! #SNK #KOF15
Translated from Japanese by

[KOF XV] "GAW Team Participation Commemorative Campaign" Held! Follow your account & tweet this tweet on RT ・ Ramon role:#勝沼紀義 Mr. Antonov:#菱田盛之 Mr. King of Dynasaw:#花田光 Mr. Miss You will win the autograph! The campaign is until 8/25 (Wednesday)! #SNK#KOF15

Anthony..

Hi guys,

「BARオロチな人々」の事後通販は8/15までの受付!イベント販売グッズを購入可能なチャンスをお見逃しなく♪ 販売期間:2021年8月15日(日)まで お届け予定日:2021年9月末予定 https://snk-onlineshop.com/category/OROCHIBAR

#SNK #KOF #オロチな人々

Post-order mail order for "BAR Orochi People" will be accepted until 8/15! Don't miss the chance to buy event merchandise ♪ Sale period: Scheduled delivery date until August 15, 2021 (Sunday): Scheduled for the end of September 2021 https://snk-onlineshop.com/category/OROCHIBAR

#SNK#KOF#オロチな人々

Anthony..

14 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

How about racing games like Neo Drift Out: New Technology by Visco for the Neo-Geo Leeroy. That is my top racing game on the system. Play the heck out of it/ Looked graphically impressive for its time.

Then there's Over Top that was developed by by ADK for the Neo-Geo. Not as impressive as Neo Drift Out. But close enough.

Anthony...

NEO Drift Out is good stuff.  Also, Over Top is a good one as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Anthony...

Have both, great games. Well had both, my Overtop doesn't work no more. I'm sure it's something simple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zap! said:

Today marks the 29th anniversary of Geese Howard's fall from grace. Next year's the big one!

fatfury-4.png

Hey Ter,

Wow! 29 years? Amazing. How time flies when having fun playing Neo-Geo. Thank you for sharing this with us bro? What's new with you?

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Victoly! I now have installed @furrtek's NeoCD SD-Loader on a #NeoGeo CD NEO-CDM4-2 system board. Hypernoid only needs 12s to load (compared to 39s when loaded from the CD drive). An essential mod for homebrewers who want a fast and convenient NGCD development system!

Anthony..

Hi guys,

This week I played 35 of your game recommendations on the MiSTer FPGA Neo Geo Core! Let me know your favourite Neo Geo games in the comments! Watch —> https://youtu.be/Nt9GEy_nr20

#NeoGeo #MisterFPGA #RetroGaming

And now the video from Nick. Enjoy. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【間もなく終了!】「SNK SUMMER FESTA 2021」が8/15(日)まで開催中!キャンペーン期間中、雑貨やアパレル商品など対象のSNK関連商品を最大50%OFFの特価にてご提供いたします! ★対象商品はコチラから★ https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?category_cd=21SUMMERCP

#SNK

[End soon! ] "SNK SUMMER FESTA 2021" is being held until 8/15 (Sun)! During the campaign period, we will offer SNK related products such as miscellaneous goods and apparel products at a special price of up to 50% OFF! ★ Click here for target products ★ https://snk-onlineshop.com/item_list.html?category_cd=21SUMMERCP

#SNK

Anthony..