IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Check out the SNK World Championship regional qualifier tournament this week end! Furia Tica @ Connecturday San José, Costa Rica September 9-10 https://start.gg/tournament/furia-tica-2023/ #SNK #KOFXV #SWC2023

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【KOF XV】 Game balance changes will be implemented on September 12 in the Ver. 2.10 patch! Check out the major changes in this explainer video and be prepared when the patch drops! https://youtu.be/DvMM112MlFs #KOF15 #KOFXV

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Say, this looks really cool. :)

A new SNK licensed product is up for pre-order! This one is interesting as it’s designed to play Ikari Warriors as it was designed for the arcades. I’m thinking of all the OTHER games this would work on! https://thunderstickstudio.com/products/grs-super-joystick

Anthony...

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 7:24 PM, Tanooki said:

I hate to admit it, but as bad as those cost, they're tempting me as well.  Not that I want to be stealing these new games, and they are (enough) out there, but I can not condone or rationalize the amount on the price tag they're asking vs what the materials costs.  Sure it's an arcade game in the end, but it's still also a 16bit era cartridge game too.  I get there's more there, but when you can get N64 SNES Genesis games CIB for $50-60 stateside, less through slimier means (aliexpress) it does paint a picture that isn't pretty on what's being asked, vs what should be fairly asked.  I've wanted those ng dev games, not all, but kraut buster as it is, the non-shooters, I've wanted to play but that price tag is wallet rape.  It's why I have around 35 or so MVS carts in various states of game to complete kits, and then the v3 of the 161in1 that they finally decade+ later bugfixed.  If the 138 ever came back into supply or I stumbled upon one I'd grab it as that would lock down largely anything else of the MVS library minus those garbage quiz/mahjong games.

It largely depends if you sell this for the costs of the hardware, plus VAT. But then you are already at a very high price point, even without a dev wanting to make a few bucks from it. Those Neo Geo carts are incredibly expensive to produce. Really no comparison to other systems like the Megadrive or SNES.

Then you have to see, that the Neo Geo scene is not really huge, so you have to go with a higher price instead of units sold. 

Plus, you have the a bit insane prices those carts demand in the aftermarket. It's weird if you try to get a game out for the lowest price point that's possible, and then half of a year later you see people selling your game for 5 times the price easily, making a big profit of your work.

That said, I will provide NeoSD files for a sub 20€ price tag for my coming Neo games. I think those flash carts are really a nice chance for the scene, and I hope many people buy one and then support devs in releasing smaller games that are not worthy of being put unto a x times hundred dollar cart. 

Edited by Steril707
  • Like 3

That's understandable, lower production and all that to a degree given how mass produced in comparison the other 16bit systems are, even bootleg modern copycat HuCards tend to I've seen go more than SNES/GEN-MD stuff goes for too so it's scalable.

Solid move on your part selling the ROM, more should be enlightened to do that.  That opens the door to someone using an ios/android emulator, flash kit, etc as their means of play legitimately.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That's understandable, lower production and all that to a degree given how mass produced in comparison the other 16bit systems are, even bootleg modern copycat HuCards tend to I've seen go more than SNES/GEN-MD stuff goes for too so it's scalable.

Solid move on your part selling the ROM, more should be enlightened to do that.  That opens the door to someone using an ios/android emulator, flash kit, etc as their means of play legitimately.

For me it's also a way to get smaller games to the people. I have something in the works right now, that's like 4 levels only. But quite charming, and I think it will look nice on the NG. So I hope many people will get a NeoSD, and that this might start off a homebrew renaissance on the NG.

But this will really only work, if we have a few hundred people supporting this.

And on the carts: I know that those price points for the carts feel huge, but believe me, I am not keen either on risking tens of thousands of bucks for getting a cart produced. Will try to get this done one time and see how it turns out, so I can get something off my bucket list ;) . 

Edited by Steril707
  • Like 1

I hope you can find that few 100 people, if you're speaking in terms of a physical release.  With the prices going around $300-600+(ngdev) I'm utterly out, I can't justify that cost for a modern pet project as that's a lot of money.  The ROM releases would be welcome though to run on a computer or other device as even the Darksoft or the toxic terraonion kit are very expensive.

Hey @Charlie Cat,

A dev group did a gorgeous version of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for the Sega Genesis, and its on sale for $40 on eBay.

They retained the animation, graphics and sound of the original Neo-Geo game. It’s quite a feat!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275928707043?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Nx0NLneSTqq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=YT3epDNRT52&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steril707 said:

For me it's also a way to get smaller games to the people. I have something in the works right now, that's like 4 levels only. But quite charming, and I think it will look nice on the NG. So I hope many people will get a NeoSD, and that this might start off a homebrew renaissance on the NG.

I think that small games should be bundled with others so there's more content for the same price. I think developers should also consider releasing on the Neo Geo CD, or something more accessible, like the Dreamcast. 

7 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Hey @Charlie Cat,

A dev group did a gorgeous version of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for the Sega Genesis, and its on sale for $40 on eBay.

They retained the animation, graphics and sound of the original Neo-Geo game. It’s quite a feat!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275928707043?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Nx0NLneSTqq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=YT3epDNRT52&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Whoa! That is nice Mike. They did a great job and at $40 bucks? That sounds like a real bargain to have in any gamers collection. Thank you for the link Mike. This really is impressive to see. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

My recent MVS purchases:

Amazing Mike. Those are some real great titles you have in your haul bro. Xeno Crisis, Waku Waku 7, Double Dragon, and my favorite of the Neo-Geo line up...Magician Lord. One of these days we need to see your gaming skills in action Mike. I would get the popcorn and soda pop to see you in action. :)

Anthony...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cobra Strike Down said:

Found these today! I scrubbed them down but can’t get the white one to be dolled up much. Any suggestions? Got these for a hundred for the pair!

Oh my!! King of Fighters 2000 and King of Fighters 2001 for the MVS Daz?! Now that's cool. I think those two were good games despite they were developed during the dark times of SNK. They may not receive the best scores, but worth playing and enjoying. Nice to see this from you bro. :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

オープン日9月16日(土)大張正己氏サイン会開催中の13時45分~16時30分の間は、店内奥の展示スペースを閉めさせていただきます。 展示スペースには、事前予約いただいたお客様もご入場いただけません ご了承ください。 ※店内手前の物販スペースは、事前予約いただいたお客様はご入場場いただけます
Translated from Japanese by
The exhibition space at the back of the store will be closed from 13:45 to 16:30 during the autograph session of Masami Obari on Saturday, September 16th. Customers who have made advance reservations are not allowed to enter the exhibition space  note that. ※ Customers who have made advance reservations can enter the product sales space in front of the store.

Upcoming Events vol.1 #KOF #SNK

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Excited to announce a $2500 Pot Bonus for #KOFXV at #CEOtaku courtesy of @SNKPofficial @SNKPofficial_jp
! Friendly reminder that CEOtaku is a #SWC2023 Qualifier (https://snk-corp.co.jp/swc2023/) Duo Lon & the latest patch will be legal. Reg closes Sunday on http://start.gg/ceotaku

Anthony..

42 minutes ago, Charlie Cat said:

Oh my!! King of Fighters 2000 and King of Fighters 2001 for the MVS Daz?! Now that's cool. I think those two were good games despite they were developed during the dark times of SNK. They may not receive the best scores, but worth playing and enjoying. Nice to see this from you bro. :)

Anthony...

I liked them. For me 2002 was the weak link. Visually I felt it went backwards.