IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

#KOFXIV is heading to @GAMEStratford this weekend! Pop down and try out this badass machine :D

Cqsjt6kWcAEIGRQ.jpg
73 retweets108 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Amazing, I would love to add this baby to my collection! Looks sweet!

-Aaron Classic Gamer

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Back again with fellow Atariage member Aaron from AaronClassicGemr. Here, we see him with his latest purchase with King Of Fighters XIV and did a live stream with it. He sure enjoyed it! :-D

From, the description,

"KOF XIV Entire Story 1 Credit Clear Live Stream. Yeah just got this newest iteration of the KOF series and a new arcade stick as well. Featuring play with the new Hori RAP 4 (Real Arcade Pro 4)! I had a ton of fun in this live stream, sorry for the clicking in the audio from the arcade stick, I need to get a pop guard bad. This new iteration features a new game engine designed from the ground up by SNK. The graphics are decent but are definitely not next gen. But, the gameplay is tight and responsive, which was my concern. The series does deviate and create new move sets that I'm warming up to.I would definately recommend you guys pick it up, if you get it now it comes in a steel box. The steel box I could imagine being collectible sometime in the future for sure. However, there is not a manual included. I know this is normal now, but I hoped for more from SNK! The game is fair and doesn't seem cheap at all in terms of gameplay! Maybe not the best iteration of the series, but worthy of it's namesake for sure! Enjoy and Happy Gaming! Also check out the Neo Geo Forums at atariage.com for more related SNK content, those guys are awesome-Link Below!"

Happy Gaming!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

This eveving, were with scrollkidd. Here we see the gentleman playing a 1 credit play run with Burning Fight for the Neo-Geo. Let's watch it shall we. :)

From the description,

"BURNING FIGHT (SNK, 1991) played on NEO-GEO AES original hardware.

1 credit - MVS (default difficulty)

STAGE 3 ( death at mid-Boss) : 250.250 pts"

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back again with NintendoComplete doing another great video. Here, we see him in action playing a Neo-Geo port of Viewpoint for the Sega Genesis.

From the description,

"A playthrough of American Sammy's 1994 shoot 'em up for the Sega Genesis, Viewpoint.

Played through on the default difficulty level.

Viewpoint was an awesome shooter on the Neo Geo, and it seems to be a game that, when ported, takes on all sorts of interesting changes. The PS1 version replaces all of the graphics with prerendered CGI sprites and a 90s club-style remix of the soundtrack. The Genesis version doesn't quite go that far, but it certain contains a fair amount of alterations. Whether they are for style choices or for system limitations, the game plays quite similarly, but looks and sounds quite different.

The graphics have all been redone in prerendered "polygons" (they all look like objects from early 16-bit and 32-bit 3D games given their low resolution and lack of texture mapping). I don't like the style as much as the other two versions, but I have to admit, it does look cool, and it plays to the strengths of the Genesis. Such low detail levels keeps the bitmap size small in memory, and stylized to such low color counts works around the obvious and ugly dithering issues that so many Genesis games fell victim to. The look grew on me, and I think that simplifying the graphics was probably a better choice than to sacrifice other gameplay elements. I do get a kick out of how the credits refer to someone as the "polygonizer".

The sound is... interesting. On one hand, the soundtrack is like nothing else on the Genesis. It has the techno feel to it that the original does, and it's got all sorts of vocal samples playing in it, which really makes it stand out from the normal 16-bit shooter crowd. On the other hand, many of the samples sound absolutely awful, and the translation to the Genesis's FM chip really shoots a lot of the stuffing out of the original music. I feel like I would like this soundtrack much more if I wasn't really familiar with the Neo Geo and PlayStation versions. It's novel and impressive, but it fails to stand-up at all to the soundtracks on the more powerful machines.

The gameplay has carried over quite well. The original was always a pretty slow-paced game, and though the Sega version suffers from a bit more slowdown than the others do, it usually works to your advantage. This is an extremely difficult game - easier than the other two, probably because it can't throw as many bullets across the screen - but it gets really hairy in a few spots, and you'll really appreciate any breathing room the technical hiccups can give you, I promise.

Back in the day, if you loved the arcade and wanted to play Viewpoint without a $650 console, this was absolutely a respectable way to experience the classic. Nowadays, I can really only recommend it if you want to see how hard it pushed the Genesis. Better ways to play it are too easily available to make this one the port of choice, but still - you could do a whole lot worse! :)

It was originally Sammy's game, so if anyone could do a fair port...
______
No cheats were used during the recording of this video. "

Anthony...

• Like 1

Wow, that's an impressive port of Viewpoint! Unfortunately the music didn't translate well, but the graphics.. very nice!

One more NEO GEO game for my "20 From 1992" series:

NINJA COMMANDO (or as the title screen's narrator proudly states: "Ninja... COMMANDOOOO!!!!")

Fun little run-and-gun scrolling ninja mayhem game, complete with running dialogue by your character!

• Like 1

Do you think the Neo geo console was really worth the $700 it sold for. Like vr was really expensive in the 90's because the tech used to make it was expensive. Did the tech in the neo geo really warrant a $700 price tag

Hi Jim,

Welcome aboard to Atariage and Thank you for participating on, The Official NEO-GEO Thread on Atariage.com :)

Please enjoy your stay and feel welcome to contributed as much as you like pertaining to the Neo-Geo platforms and its games. We hope that the thread will be to your liking and that it will inspire you to do more on the systems and from SNK. If you have any inquires that you like to address, you're more than welcome to post them here. Will be glad to answered them as best as possible and as quick as we can! :)

Also, you're more than welcome to retract on the many pages that the Neo-Geo thread as accumulated. So much content that we have here will certainly be for your enjoyment from our members that posted/replied on partaking here on the thread! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to your question Jim, Yes it was for its time when the Neo-Geo AES came out in 1990. The unit itself was originally a rental system and SNK wasn't sure if the Neo-Geo AES was marketable due to its extreme price tag that it would cost for the retail market. However the demand for it was out there and SNK released it to the public. But it wasn't mass marketed due to its hefty price tag!

Yes, due to the new technology and how it was innovate for the beginning of the 1990's, this technology was expensive for which it didn't have enough time to find cheaper and cost effective whys to do so! But at the same time, it was so groundbreaking that it finally gave you the choice of having the arcade environment in your home!

So yes, the $650-$700 price tag was necessary for its time. Plus SNK was not in the league of the other multi-billion dollar companies like Nintendo, Sega, and NEC. So they also have to worry about other economic cost as well for being smaller than the rest of the big 3 at the time!

Thank you again Jim for posting. We hope this will answer your question. Come by the Neo-Geo thread at anytime. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Wow, that's an impressive port of Viewpoint! Unfortunately the music didn't translate well, but the graphics.. very nice!

NINJA COMMANDO (or as the title screen's narrator proudly states: "Ninja... COMMANDOOOO!!!!")

Fun little run-and-gun scrolling ninja mayhem game, complete with running dialogue by your character!

You can say that again Russ! :)

Viewpoint for the Genesis is a great game to play. Too bad the music wasn't top notch for it. It would've been a great port.

Can't wait for you next Neo-Geo vid Russ for 1992. This will be awesome. :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

Nice job with Ninja Commando Russ. :thumbsup:

When I first played this game, I thought this was the oddest shooting title that I ever played. It had no guns! :ponder: So how can it be a shooter? :?:

Then soon after, I figured it was a video game, so it didn't have to make sense :-D

Thank you as always Russ. 1993 is going to be a great series with plenty of Neo-Geo titles for that year! :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

This evening were with GeekOutdoors. Here, we see him playing one of his favorite Neo-Geo titles, Ninja Combat. Let's see him in action shall we? :)

from the description,

" Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi weren't the only Arcade Ninjas around. The Neo Geo was home to not only some of the best fighting games, but it also had the best Ninja Arcade Action game: Ninja Combat"

Amthony...

Well, I've finished up a rough week involving some business travel, and when it comes time to treat myself, MVS games are the first thing I think of.

I've just ordered Double Dragon--for reasons I can't even articulate to myself, as well as another copy of KOF '98.

Here's hoping this '98 works better than the last two.

To summarize my KOF '98 issues:

Copy #1: legit, but korean, so missing some japanese voice samples, and (oddly) certain parts of the intro rap.

Copy #2: Bootleg, voice effects are there, but some other sounds are not, and produce an obvious, jarring click.

Copy #3: being white, it's most likely legit. Unsure of functionality until it arrives.

I wouldn't normally be so bothered but KOF '98 is my favorite one.

IIRC there's also a kof 98 port on IGS PGM2 arcade hardware...which is where I'll probably go if this one turns out bad too. I think it'd be really neat to see a comparison between these versions, but I can't seem to find one on youtube. The into music seems to have been significantly 'badassified.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcX9wHZ5Weo

Edited by Reaperman

Well, I've finished up a rough week involving some business travel, and when it comes time to treat myself, MVS games are the first thing I think of.

I've just ordered Double Dragon--for reasons I can't even articulate to myself, as well as another copy of KOF '98.

Here's hoping this '98 works better than the last two.

To summarize my KOF '98 issues:

Copy #1: legit, but korean, so missing some japanese voice samples

Copy #2: Bootleg, voice effects are there, but some other sounds are not.

Copy #3: being white, it's most likely legit. Unsure of functionality until it arrives.

I wouldn't normally be so bothered but KOF '98 is my favorite one.

IIRC there's also a kof 98 port on IGS PGM2 arcade hardware...which is where I'll probably go if this one turns out bad too. I think it'd be really neat to see a comparison between these versions, but I can't seem to find one on youtube. The into music seems to have been significantly 'badassified.'

[media]

Amazing Reaper.

A Korean version? I haven't seen one of those in a while. Do you have a picture of that copy that you have?

Nice job picking up on Double Dragon. Really fun fighter for the Neo-Geo.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224