IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hey guys,

Back again with Deadly Gaming LV doing what he loves to do. Here, we see him talk about the Neo-Geo Magic Key converter.

From the description,

"Showing the MVS to AES Magic Key Converter Green 120P. This is the only one I own and use in all of my videos so you know that the 161 in 1 Multi Cart works well with it."

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hey guys,

Back again with Deadly Gaming LV doing what he loves to do. Here, we see him talk about the Neo-Geo Magic Key converter.

From the description,

"Showing the MVS to AES Magic Key Converter Green 120P. This is the only one I own and use in all of my videos so you know that the 161 in 1 Multi Cart works well with it."

Anthony...

There were 2 versions of it, one with embedded UniBIOS and one without.

The one with embedded UniBIOS has to have it disabled for the 161-in-1 to work (I actually added a slider to permanently disable it instead of pressing the button each time) or at least it used to. The issue is that it won't load the selection menu (unless they fixed it in more recent 161-in-1 or the converter itself).

An onboard UniBIOS on the AES itself works just fine with the adapter + 161-in-1 .... I remember talking to Razoola about it a few years ago. I actually bought my adapter directly from him as he was partially paid with them when he settled the dispute if the adapter maker had the rights to ship with UniBIOS inside or not. My adapter is the light blue one but with updated cores not sure if it equates it to the green one.

Also the 161-in-1 has the diff level screwed up, it's aggravating having to either play the "console" version or fiddle with the soft switch every time.

Wrt the 161-in-1 this is useful:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257061-PCM-Sound-amp-Stability-Fixes-Multicarts-120-in-1-138-in-1-161-in-1-and-others

[i had to add a couple of capacitors on mine to limit the issues with PCM sounds on a few games, extremely annoying change of volume is the most glaring glitch]

• Like 1

The one with embedded UniBIOS has to have it disabled for the 161-in-1 to work (I actually added a slider to permanently disable it instead of pressing the button each time) or at least it used to. The issue is that it won't load the selection menu (unless they fixed it in more recent 161-in-1 or the converter itself).

An onboard UniBIOS on the AES itself works just fine with the adapter + 161-in-1 .... I remember talking to Razoola about it a few years ago. I actually bought my adapter directly from him as he was partially paid with them when he settled the dispute if the adapter maker had the rights to ship with UniBIOS inside or not. My adapter is the light blue one but with updated cores not sure if it equates it to the green one.

Also the 161-in-1 has the diff level screwed up, it's aggravating having to either play the "console" version or fiddle with the soft switch every time.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257061-PCM-Sound-amp-Stability-Fixes-Multicarts-120-in-1-138-in-1-161-in-1-and-others

[i had to add a couple of capacitors on mine to limit the issues with PCM sounds on a few games, extremely annoying change of volume is the most glaring glitch]

Hi Phoenix,

That's very informative on what you mention to us. :thumbsup:

Thank you for pointing this out for us with a link to further showing us in detail. I didn't know that you were in discussion with Razoola about it. He's a member on the Atariage forums and comes by periodically to keep up-to-date on what's going on here to keep up on the latest information.

I recently posted his Neo-Geo Land UI tech demo.here to show on what's Raz has been up to lately.

Anthony...

Thank you for pointing this out for us with a link to further showing us in detail. I didn't know that you were in discussion with Razoola about it. He's a member on the Atariage forums and comes by periodically to keep up-to-date on what's going on here to keep up on the latest information.

I was in contact because I accidentally discovered that the AES can use PCMCIA SRAM cartridges that are 16bit wide as memcards as opposed to the std 8bit NeoGeo Memcard.

Everyone knows that the std NeoGeo memcard is 2K, but I managed to buy a 64/128K (can't remember) PCMCIA SRAM and it worked .... that is on the stock BIOS, UniBIOS broke that feature so we went back and forth as I was assisting him in recovering the functionality (I did nothing but test his code and taking screenshots from the memviewer).

Last I touched base was to receive an updated Uni 3.3 ... I am so glad he also cracked the NeoGeo CD bios but installation seems to be a little too involved (I have a NeoGeo CDZ) so I'm waiting on that one for the time being.

Let's link here his UniBIOS page:

http://unibios.free.fr/

• Like 1

I was in contact because I accidentally discovered that the AES can use PCMCIA SRAM cartridges that are 16bit wide as memcards as opposed to the std 8bit NeoGeo Memcard.

Everyone knows that the std NeoGeo memcard is 2K, but I managed to buy a 64/128K (can't remember) PCMCIA SRAM and it worked .... that is on the stock BIOS, UniBIOS broke that feature so we went back and forth as I was assisting him in recovering the functionality (I did nothing but test his code and taking screenshots from the memviewer).

Last I touched base was to receive an updated Uni 3.3 ... I am so glad he also cracked the NeoGeo CD bios but installation seems to be a little too involved (I have a NeoGeo CDZ) so I'm waiting on that one for the time being.

Let's link here his UniBIOS page:

http://unibios.free.fr/

Thank you for the link as well Phoenix. Great to know what you do for us in the community and that accidental discovery with PCMCIA SRAM turned out for the best! :thumbsup:

You're right when Raz cracked the NGCD bios. It open up so much possibilities for the unit and beyond!

Thank you as always Phoenix! :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

More from Pitfall Harry

1. #NeoGeo Pocket Color Snk vs Capcom M.O.T.M boxed complete #retrogaming #ebay http://www.retrodeals.net/wLbvqYcECI

CrMR9e2WEAA6qIA.jpg
    5 retweets3 likes
    Retweet
    Liked
    More
  2. SNK/#NeoGeo AES Game FATAL FURY 3 Japan 0805A9 #retrogaming #ebay http://www.retrodeals.net/oKVMZAdOgC

CrLMKNuW8AAw1dm.jpg
    10 retweets6 likes
    Retweet
    Liked

Anthony...

Hi guys,

More from Respected Neo-Geo professional and Atariage member in regards to Neo-Geo Land that was discussed on the neo-geo.com forums .

Razoola

1. I have received a couple of queries relating to just how the available settings seen in the NeoGeo Land demo work. I guess it may be a little confusing to some. There are essentially two ways to select a game in the NeoGeo Land tech demo which I guess adds to that. Here is a quick run through of the settings seen in the video and ways they could be setup to give some quite interesting options.

Code:
    BOOT TO MENU
    - OPEN WITH
    - USE COLOR
    - AUTO EXIT
    The above settings relate to the main NeoGeo Land menu only (the color setting which also controls the popup border color) and are quite straight forward. 'Open With' is the key code used to force the menu even if you are playing a game. Even with this setting disabled the key code will work once only at boot time. 'Auto Exit' is simply the time until the menu will close itself if left on the main game select page with no interaction.

I have seen many times in various places and forums people with the current xxxIn1 multicarts moan about the select menu always showing and no way to disable it. This is fully addressed in the NeoGeo Land demo.

Code:
    ALLOW SELECT
    - CTRL WITH
    - USE POPUP
    - AUTOCYCLE
    - BOOT GAME
    The above settings relate to how games swap outside of using the main menu method. The Neo Geo by design has a built in method for swapping games, my view is this should be used if the user wishes it. NeoGeo Land enhances this by allowing some configuration, this requires a little more explanation of the settings.

'Allow Select' acts much the same as the MVS game select cabinet SoftDip option. Options are; allow free game changing, only after a coin inserted or disabled.

'Ctrl With' relates to the buttons used to swap games up or down, cabinet owners probably want to use the select buttons while everyone else will want A+B.

'Use Popup' is an enhancement, this brings up a quick game select menu over the game when pressing one of the defined game select buttons. Can be set to show instantly, after a button is held down for a set time and of course disabled. The popup menu closes when the game select button is released, game are selected in the popup menu using the joystick while the game select button is still pressed down.

'Autocycle' controls what happens after a games attract mode sequence ends. It can be set to simply go to the next game in the list (like a standard MVS multiclot), choose a random game or be disabled.

'Boot Game' is simply the first game to boot when the system is powered on.

Ok, so that's the basic settings out of the way you see in the video. What the video does not show well is just what these settings can do and this is where some confusion lies I guess because people have asked questions like why do some game swapping settings have an option to disable, why would anyone want that? Well to answer that I am going to show some configurations of the settings (main ones only) and explain what the result would be.

Code:
    BOOT TO MENU = ALWAYS
    - OPEN WITH = (CD)+(START)
    ALLOW SELECT = DISABLED
    - CTRL WITH = any option
    - USE POPUP = any option
    - AUTOCYCLE = DISABLED
    - BOOT GAME = REAL BOUT FFS
    The above setting would work the same as the 161in1 for example. It boots, you choose a game and it starts. At any time you can go back to the main game select menu (instantly ending any playing game). No other game select method is available.

Code:
    BOOT TO MENU = DISABLED
    - OPEN WITH = DISABLED
    ALLOW SELECT = DISABLED
    - CTRL WITH = any option
    - USE POPUP = any option
    - AUTOCYCLE = DISABLED
    The above setting would make NeoGeo land act like a single SLOT MVS with a single game only. That would be the selected boot game, in this case Real bout. You cannot change the game.

Code:
    BOOT TO MENU = DISABLED
    - OPEN WITH = DISABLED
    ALLOW SELECT = WHEN CREDITS or INTRO/CREDITS
    - CTRL WITH = SELECT(1)/(2)
    - USE POPUP = DISABLED
    - AUTOCYCLE = MVS MULTISLOT
    The above setting would make NeoGeo land act like an original MVS multislot. The boot game would be Real Bout FFS and you can swap games up until a game starts. After that you cannot swap games until after game over.

Code:
    BOOT TO MENU = DISABLED
    - OPEN WITH = DISABLED
    - USE POPUP = INSTANTLY
    - AUTOCYCLE = MVS MULTISLOT
    The above setting is like previous but the popup menu can be used to quickly select a different game. Instead of having to potentially press the game select button multiple times you use the joystick to navigate the menu until you release the game select button.

Code:
    BOOT TO MENU = DISABLED
    - OPEN WITH = DISABLED
    - USE POPUP = INSTANTLY
    - AUTOCYCLE = DISABLED
    Only a slight change from the last. Set like this the selected game will never change unless the user desires it. The benefit here is you will always see the attract mode of the currently selected game until it is changed.

Code:
    BOOT TO MENU = DISABLED
    - OPEN WITH = (CD)+(START)
    - USE POPUP = INSTANTLY
    - AUTOCYCLE = DISABLED
    Lastly, this setting would allow swapping like the previous method but if you wanted to change game during gameplay you could force yourself back to the main menu and forfit the game.

I hope this clears things up.

My personal view is games should never be allowed to be swapped while a game is playing and thus the ideal setting would be to have 'OPEN WITH' always disabled. Because however previous multicarts use a method to force the select menu, plus I can understand the frustration when losing your first life after scoring only 100 points. The setting is in the NeoGeo Land tech demo

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

The 18th team gameplay trailer has been launched. #KOF14 #KOFXIV https://youtu.be/2xAnmkZPAS0

CrTpjstVYAAwzks.jpg
33 retweets53 likes
Retweet
Liked

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV: チーム紹介トレーラー第18弾を公開しました。 #KOF14 #KOFXIV https://youtu.be/2xAnmkZPAS0

CrTqIFfUIAAWoSt.jpg
53 retweets54 likes
Retweet
Liked

Anthony...

Hey guys neo 64 here and I just wanted to ask Anthony what are his thoughts on Nam 1975 some of my friends and I were playing it and half loved it and half hated it. I just want to know your thoughts on it.

Hey Evan,

Glad that your playing NAM-1975 with your friends kind sir. NAM-1975 is those titles that really is challenging and will make you play the game for its fun replay value. Its better playing it in 2 player mode to help defeat the bosses faster and its really a title that's a test of skill. But if you master the CPU's patterns and know how to dodge and shoot correctly. You'll be able to beat this game with know trouble. :)

Keep your power weapons and have the woman hostage help you out as well. It will be to your benefit Evan. :)

Thank you for asking your question Evan. Hope this help you out! Feel free to ask anymore in the future! :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

More from TheRetroGamingBlog.

This morning Felix partook in some #neogeo action. Loves those beautiful colours. #arcade

CrXjsNzWgAAacbi.jpg
4 retweets7 likes
Retweet

Anthony.

Hi guys! I am happy to announce that if everything goes to plan, I should have my Nam 1975 review out on my Byron's Reviews YouTube channel next week! I'll be sure to post a link to it here once it is completed! :D

However, before that can happen, I was wondering if anyone could help me out by answering another question. When playing the game, in between stages, surprise attacks often occur as shown in the screenshot attached to this post. These attacks mean that you have to fight another boss before moving on to the next stage. However, this only happens sometimes as a lot of the time, these extra bosses just don't show up. What I want to know is the following. Is there is anything that you do in the game to make these extra bosses occur? Or, is them showing up or not just random? If anyone could give me a helping hand here, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :) :) :)

post-47192-0-14365500-1472856133_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi guys! I am happy to announce that if everything goes to plan, I should have my Nam 1975 review out on my Byron's Reviews YouTube channel next week! I'll be sure to post a link to it here once it is completed! :D

However, before that can happen, I was wondering if anyone could help me out by answering another question. When playing the game, in between stages, surprise attacks often occur as shown in the screenshot attached to this post. These attacks mean that you have to fight another boss before moving on to the next stage. However, this only happens sometimes as a lot of the time, these extra bosses just don't show up. What I want to know is the following. Is there is anything that you do in the game to make these extra bosses occur? Or, is them showing up or not just random? If anyone could give me a helping hand here, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :) :) :)

That's great to know Byron. We can't wait to see NAM 1975 from you and what you have to say during your review. This's going to be great to see! :) :thumbsup:

In regards to your question on the surprise bosses. The last I recall on that issue on trying to avoid them is inevitable . Sometimes a clear a stage without dying and they still arrive to give you more gaming hassle to play on defeating them. Even as I remember when I applied multiple credits into the game knowing I was going to die during the stages, they still appear. The best I can answer Byron, is that its part of the programming to do so. I use to wish they didn't occur because they were very difficult to defeat! :(

I even check a few longplay videos of those that 1 credit the game still had this issue as well.

Hope this helps Byron. See you soon with your video! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

It's weird because some of games like KoF 95 on the multi cart work with the bios where you can actually change regions and select the cheats and all to get unlimited continues and all the other cheats but then a good majority of the library, KoF 94 for example the bios doesn't work and you are relegated to the region your console is. Unfortunately I don't have a unibios in my AES and I don't feel confident putting one in myself. I may have to experiment and see if I can disable the unibios just to see what happens. I imagine everything would be Japanese since my console is Japanese and no uni in it.

Edited by deadlygroove
  • Like 1

That's great to know Byron. We can't wait to see NAM 1975 from you and what you have to say during your review. This's going to be great to see! :) :thumbsup:

In regards to your question on the surprise bosses. The last I recall on that issue on trying to avoid them is inevitable . Sometimes a clear a stage without dying and they still arrive to give you more gaming hassle to play on defeating them. Even as I remember when I applied multiple credits into the game knowing I was going to die during the stages, they still appear. The best I can answer Byron, is that its part of the programming to do so. I use to wish they didn't occur because they were very difficult to defeat! :(

I even check a few longplay videos of those that 1 credit the game still had this issue as well.

Hope this helps Byron. See you soon with your video! :)

Anthony...

So, it's just completely random as to whether they show up or not? That's a very odd design choice in my opinion. Anyway, thanks for the help, Anthony! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So, it's just completely random as to whether they show up or not? That's a very odd design choice in my opinion. Anyway, thanks for the help, Anthony! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Byron,

Oh they show up. Its just that they do so regardless if you cleared a stage perfectly or not! If you take a look at some videos on YouTube, you'll see what I mean as well.

Thank you as always Byron. Write some more questions if you wish in the near future! :)

Anthony...

• Like 1