IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Also Video Games New York is a fun place to go with a good selection of Neo-Geo games!. They fix systems as well. I don't know their rates. But I remember going to them at their old location on St. Marks Place for years!

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Also Video Games New York is a fun place to go with a good selection of Neo-Geo games!. They fix systems as well. I don't know their rates. But I remember going to them at their old location on St. Marks Place for years!

Anthony....

VGNY is the most expensive retro game store I've ever been to. It's not a huge surprise, given what their rent must be. I just don't see any point buying anything from them. You can usually find stuff cheaper on eBay, which says a lot.

• Like 1

VGNY is the most expensive retro game store I've ever been to. It's not a huge surprise, given what their rent must be. I just don't see any point buying anything from them. You can usually find stuff cheaper on eBay, which says a lot.

Usually? Always! I've purchased maybe one or two things that would have been about the same on ebay, usually Famicom carts, which the cost of getting from Japan is prohibitive except in lots. A friend has imported a few new PS3/360 shmups from there.

Woah! Didn't know this type of thread existed!

One day I need to take a vacation and just focus on fixing my NEO (and Dig Dug and Phoenix) cabinets. They all need a good resoldering.

Right now all my spare time is going to my house projects (paint/mow/weed/trim/repipe/etc.).

• Like 1

They had a Neo-Geo AES Korean version system in excellent condition with the box and paper work a few years ago that I was trying to save up for. Unfortunately someone purchased it before me and haven't seen anything like it since! :(

I have the Korean AES version at home, but its not anything close to what VGNY had.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

So I have a copy of Panic Bomber. It's always been a little flaky but some of the sounds finally went on it. It seems like it's the percussion sounds--they get all scratchy and *loud* but the other sounds seem to be intact while they're playing.

As luck would have it, I've sourced (and paid way too much for) another damaged panic bomber with what appears to be the same boards (here). I'm making the grand assumption that my boards are good and my chips are probably bad--also that the as-is replacement has the opposite problems.

My question on it is--where do I start replacing? If I can figure out what is responsible for the sounds and replace only that bit, I'd be a pretty happy guy. I certainly hope it's the trough-hole and not the surface mount stuff that's gone wrong in my cart. So--what on these does the sounds?

post-17659-0-74308000-1399218490_thumb.jpgpost-17659-0-95740400-1399218471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

So I have a copy of Panic Bomber. It's always been a little flaky but some of the sounds finally went on it. It seems like it's the percussion sounds--they get all scratchy and *loud* but the other sounds seem to be intact while they're playing.

As luck would have it, I've sourced (and paid way too much for) another damaged panic bomber with what appears to be the same boards (here). I'm making the grand assumption that my boards are good and my chips are probably bad--also that the as-is replacement has the opposite problems.

My question on it is--where do I start replacing? If I can figure out what is responsible for the sounds and replace only that bit, I'd be a pretty happy guy. I certainly hope it's the trough-hole and not the surface mount stuff that's gone wrong in my cart. So--what on these does the sounds?

attachicon.gifpanic1.jpgattachicon.gifpanic2.jpg

I was going to say ask Xian Xi over at Neo-Geo forums but look at those boards! What happpened to the lower right corners?

• Like 2

I was going to say ask Xian Xi over at Neo-Geo forums but look at those boards! What happpened to the lower right corners?

Yep, they sent me to what I'm pretty sure is his site, and got me hooked up with exactly the right info. Looks like it's one of my two v-chips. Through-hole, easy swap, and I'll be panic-bombing again before long. (knock on wood)

I also noticed they did it without calling me names or asking for pictures of my junk. :thumbsup:

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

Yep, they sent me to what I'm pretty sure is his site, and got me hooked up with exactly the right info. Looks like it's one of my two v-chips. Through-hole, easy swap, and I'll be panic-bombing again before long. (knock on wood)

I also noticed they did it without calling me names or asking for pictures of my junk. :thumbsup:

Glad it worked out. Hope it turns out alright! ;-)

Anthony...

Glad it worked out. Hope it turns out alright! ;-)

Anthony...

Actually it already did. Panic bomber is currently looping attract mode with correct audio as I type this. :)

After my last post here they told me to check the v-chips for bad solder. It had 4-5 really obviously poor joints on one chip. Two minutes later I was up and running. ...and now I have an extra (horribly damaged) panic bomber in the mail that I have no use for. Oh well, I've done stupider things.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I have a 108 in 1 that I used in both my cabinet and the AES with super converter II.

Does the 161 in 1 have magician lord on it?

From what I seen in my 161 in 1 cart, unfortunately no! But it still has an impressive lineup of games and its still worth purchasing! Atarian63 post a link to also help you if you like to see the list of games posted above. Hope this helps! ;-)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Admittedly I just play NEO GEO via emulation on my MAME cabinet, but I must say, I'm consistently impressed with the quality of those games. To me, NEO GEO represents the apex of early 90's arcade gaming. I know the platform is kind of known for its glut of fighters, which are not my bag at all, but there are all kinds of great titles and I come across new ones all the time. One of my favorites that never seems to get mentioned is the Irritating Maze, which is actually a trackball game. You try to navigate your little icon thing around these tricky mazes in the allotted time without bumping into the sides or various other obstacles. Let's just say, the game is very addictive, and very aptly named.

I discovered the Magical Drop series last year, and I agree those games are freakin' great. My only complaint is I quickly hit a standstill on my score; I'd play like 15 games in a row and all of my scores would land within 1-2% of each other. I kind of just gave up at that point. I still fire it up once in a while, though.

• Like 1

One of my favorites that never seems to get mentioned is the Irritating Maze, which is actually a trackball game. You try to navigate your little icon thing around these tricky mazes in the allotted time without bumping into the sides or various other obstacles. Let's just say, the game is very addictive, and very aptly named.

I expect that the reason it doesn't get mentioned is that it runs on hardware with a weird bios, so there aren't many out there with the ability to actually run it.

I once had some concern that a couple MV-1B units I picked up cheap had the irritating maze bios, but luckily that wasn't the case. Not that I'm against having a dedicated cab, but having one that's filled with neo geo hardware seems to be defeating the most attractive point of the system.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Admittedly I just play NEO GEO via emulation on my MAME cabinet, but I must say, I'm consistently impressed with the quality of those games. To me, NEO GEO represents the apex of early 90's arcade gaming. I know the platform is kind of known for its glut of fighters, which are not my bag at all, but there are all kinds of great titles and I come across new ones all the time. One of my favorites that never seems to get mentioned is the Irritating Maze, which is actually a trackball game. You try to navigate your little icon thing around these tricky mazes in the allotted time without bumping into the sides or various other obstacles. Let's just say, the game is very addictive, and very aptly named.

I discovered the Magical Drop series last year, and I agree those games are freakin' great. My only complaint is I quickly hit a standstill on my score; I'd play like 15 games in a row and all of my scores would land within 1-2% of each other. I kind of just gave up at that point. I still fire it up once in a while, though.

Glad you enjoy them! :thumbsup:

If you want to play a great game. try "Neo Turf Masters". Its probably the best golf game you'll ever played.and it was created by Nazca, the same company that did Metal Slug!

Also, SNK developed fun Mahjong games that were only released in Japan. I have the mahjong controller at home (that was made by them) and play it from time -to-time. .Fortunately, I'm familiar with the game. but if you like to try a good tile game, play mahjong. Its fun and very popular in Asia. Yahoo games has it for free to help get the hang of it!

Anthony...

I expect that the reason it doesn't get mentioned is that it runs on hardware with a weird bios, so there aren't many out there with the ability to actually run it.

I once had some concern that a couple MV-1B units I picked up cheap had the irritating maze bios, but luckily that wasn't the case. Not that I'm against having a dedicated cab, but having one that's filled with neo geo hardware seems to be defeating the most attractive point of the system.

Amen to that brother!

Anthony...

If you want to play a great game. try "Neo Turf Masters". Its probably the best golf game you'll ever played.and it was created by Nazca, the same company that did Metal Slug!

I love the Engrish: ON DA GWEEEEEEN!!!

• Like 1