IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Today I filled a couple more holes in my collection--Fatal Fury 2 & 3 MVS.

FF3 was one of my first NGCD games (it came with that, Galaxy Fight and Stakes Winner), and it'll be nice to get it on a format that I actually use. I remember liking the helicopter stage, but can't remember much else. Oh, and it had a character select screen that was hard to use.

FF2's got some amazing background motion with its boat and train levels. Obviously not up to the standard of the boat level in KoF '98, or the train level in MOTW, but it's nice to see where these ideas might have formed at.

Now the only MVS Fatal Fury game I don't have is Real Bout Special.

When i first got into NGCD, I purchased a system that had a bunch of games with it. FF3 was one of them. I used to like the little monkey when he used to turn Terry's boombox! The port town stage is nice when you go into the air have a scenic view of the town and the surrounding areas. Fun game!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Yes! Excellent game. I hold Mutation Nation and Robo Army as equals. Both are very fun beat 'em UPS.

No argument here! Both games are neck-in-neck. Here are two good longplay games of Mutation Nation and Robo Army! Both are are amazing and tough to decide which is better! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Just my opinion, but I was never fond of Mutation Nation or The Super Spy. I kind of thought they were lesser Neo titles. MutNat never really grabbed me (though the "grunt" sound of the charge attack did draw me over to see what that noise was), and Super Spy was just too long and the controls moving forward didn't always work, and I'd move in place basically and more enemies would come to attack. But at least they weren't as bad as LEGEND OF SUC(K)CESS JOE.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but I was never fond of Mutation Nation or The Super Spy. I kind of thought they were lesser Neo titles. MutNat never really grabbed me (though the "grunt" sound of the charge attack did draw me over to see what that noise was), and Super Spy was just too long and the controls moving forward didn't always work, and I'd move in place basically and more enemies would come to attack. But at least they weren't as bad as LEGEND OF SUC(K)CESS JOE.

I understand and respect your thoughts on them. ;-)

As a matter of fact their was a recent discussion about Legend of Success Joe on the neo-geo.com forums. Its under the General Discussion section in the middle started by a respected member named Xian Xi. If you like, have a quick look and see what him and the other members mentioned about it :)

The game was never released outside of Japan and its a rare game based from the neo-geo price guides!

I first heard of the term LEGEND OF SUC(K)CESS JOE in the review section on the site years ago and said that and compare it to "James 'Buster' Douglas Knock-Out Boxing, Genesis" "

The reviewer that was reviewing the game said "Working with the limited color capabilities of the Genesis, the artists created very smooth chocolate and cream colors that actually looks like human skin. They were released around the same time ('90 & '91), but on two very different systems. If you were to take a look at the two, side by side, you'd think that Buster was for the Neo and Joe was for the Genesis. Its that pathetic"

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

I liked Buster Douglas. Good graphics for its time, especially for the first Genesis boxing game! Buggy though.. the enemy froze on occasion and you could push 'em back into the ropes and pummel them with power strikes over and over. Or they could push you back into the ropes and level you with a barrage of jabs you can't seem to get out of.

• Like 1

I liked Buster Douglas. Good graphics for its time, especially for the first Genesis boxing game! Buggy though.. the enemy froze on occasion and you could push 'em back into the ropes and pummel them with power strikes over and over. Or they could push you back into the ropes and level you with a barrage of jabs you can't seem to get out of.

I wouldn't mind of a new sports game comes out for the Neo-Geo. The system has been long over due for one. The last good game played in this genre is Baseball Stars 2 for me!

Anthony....

I really like Neo Geo sports titles. No silly 'sportball' team licenses, no getting caught up in realism--just solid arcade action.

My faves on MVS are probably Street Slam and (of course) Neo Turf Masters.

I will give a shout out to Neo Geo Cup '98--the version on the NGP/NGPC over the arcade one, however. I only have the black and white one but it was a pretty deep an interesting experience. I went through about ten seasons in it, IIRC.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

FF's 2&3 came in today, and for the first time in probably half a decade, I had some two-player action. Embarrassingly, I got my ass handed to me at Fatal Fury 3. We were pretty even until he picked that little guy with the nunchucks. I have absolutely no idea how to defeat (or even play as) that character. :D

I really like Neo Geo sports titles. No silly 'sportball' team licenses, no getting caught up in realism--just solid arcade action.

My faves on MVS are probably Street Slam and (of course) Neo Turf Masters.

I will give a shout out to Neo Geo Cup '98--the version on the NGP/NGPC over the arcade one, however. I only have the black and white one but it was a pretty deep an interesting experience. I went through about ten seasons in it, IIRC.

That's true. I like their sports games because their fun, original, and don't have to worry about getting mixed up in contract negotiations for actual players! What makes it also interesting is their lineup of fictional characters with funny names and strange personalities to go along with it!

Anthony...

Just curious.. is Zed Blade any good? A YouTube user wants me to do a video of that one.

Its a good game to play by NMK. It may not be the best shoot-em-up, but it holds its own. Graphically, its not its strong point. But the animation is very nice compared to other shooters in its age bracket! The bosses are not very challenging, yet they can be a nuisance at times and its an 8 stage can that can get a little boring and repetitive.

You do have three different heroes in the game with their own specialties and the game allows you to customize your weapons and your ship does have three front/rear attacks and three missiles. So that's great to point out. Music could've been better but its manageable for the gamer to listen.

Overall, I give Zen Blade a "B" and worth giving it a try. The game is worth picking up for your MVS collection. It my not be as good as Blazing Star or Pulstar, but its a nice solid title to play to past the time. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

2020 Super Baseball was always my favorite sports game on the NG.

I also like Soccer Brawl a lot. I had the football game years ago, wish I never sold it.

My brother and father were very much into 2020 Super Baseball at the arcades. Should take that game out for them!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Want a real fun sports game? I'm taking out a good Japanese AES game called Flying Power Disc (Windjammers) that was developed by Data East and avalible on the Neo-Geo MVS, AES and CD..

According to Wikipedia... "The player maneuvers around his/her side of the court in any of the 8 cardinal directions (allowing for almost fluid movement in any direction). They must act as the defense and offense of their side, blocking the disc from entering the goal zone, and throwing the disc back to the opponent's side attempting to score. Players throw the disc back and forth (with the speed of the disc generally increasing with each throw) until one of them scores a point, which causes the disc to be reset by the referee, who throws it to the player that was scored on so that they can serve."

Here is a Youtube video of it and its worth looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5T_VvR-qWM

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Windjammers was fun. I think another game called Bang Bead was similar.

Another cool sports game (rare, that I own) is Neo Dodge Ball. It has the guys from Renegade/River City Ransom/Crash 'N The Boys/etc. in it.

• Like 1

Windjammers was fun. I think another game called Bang Bead was similar.

Another cool sports game (rare, that I own) is Neo Dodge Ball. It has the guys from Renegade/River City Ransom/Crash 'N The Boys/etc. in it.

DARN! Now I'm jealous! :D I wish I had that game for the MVS!. Technos did a specular job developing it! :cool:

I found a longplay video of it for other members to view it! Is it me. One of the players looks like a transvestite :-o

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

NGDEVTEAM has announced a new game coming out called RAZION! Here is what they said on their Facebook page!

Dear NEOGEO customers,

we are happy to show our new NEOGEO game RAZION.

RAZION is a horizontal 1560 MEGS CGI shooting game.
The score system is based on growing gold cubes and using the beam.

It has 2 game modes (NOVICE/NORMAL):

Novice mode is significantly easier and will allow more people to enjoy the great graphics and music.
Normal mode is a more maniac experience.

More information and screen shots can be found on the official website:

http://razion.ngdevteam.com/

But best watch for yourself in the first trailer for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyByt-9xyMM

Development is completed 80%. We are aiming at a MVS release in autumn 2014.

The game is immediately available for preorder.

For the first time we offer both the [LE] Limited Edition and [RE] Regular Edition from day one. An AES version will follow after we shipped "NEO XYX AES" and "PINK BULLET AES".

Shop: http://www.ngdevdirect.com/

Best regards,
NG : DEV . TEAM

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

NGDEVTEAM has announced a new game coming out called RAZION! Here is what they said on their Facebook page!

Finally, one of their games with some backgrounds to look at. I generally can't afford their games, but I appreciate this huge improvement. I especially appreciate the massive size of the cart too.

Ship looks a bit bigger than I'd like, but it moves at a good speed. The side scrollers often move too slowly for my tastes (mostly the r-type themed ones).

• Like 1

Just got "Treasure of the Carribbean" for Neo Geo CD. (it also exist on cart).

It's a miw of homebrew/indie/commercial game. The game development started in 1996, and was halted. The game concept was bough by a French company, NCI (Neo Conception International: a team of 3 Frenchies and one Japanese which seek to buy unreleased Neo Geo games to release them) which gave the development to a small (a core team of 5 people!) French developer, Le Cortex.

The result is a nice and simple puzzle game, akin to Puyo Puyo.

Menu01.png

In-Game01.png

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

...oh, just damn you for showing me this. That part where the terminator looks at me and jumps into the shooting plane got me.

I'm going to have to talk to the wife on this one. I've never spent more than $75 on a video game before, but this one... $550 doesn't sound *too* bad. Maybe.

Music is some of the better I've heard in a shooter as well.

...damn it...

• Like 1

Think NG.Dev will ever re-release Gunlord again? I have the DC version but am seriously kicking myself for not picking this one up on MVS.

If the Neo-Geo community has demand again for more reprints, I think that they will listen. Gunlord is pretty good! Ebay should have them every now and then! :)

Anthony...

Just got "Treasure of the Carribbean" for Neo Geo CD. (it also exist on cart).

It's a miw of homebrew/indie/commercial game. The game development started in 1996, and was halted. The game concept was bough by a French company, NCI (Neo Conception International: a team of 3 Frenchies and one Japanese which seek to buy unreleased Neo Geo games to release them) which gave the development to a small (a core team of 5 people!) French developer, Le Cortex.

The result is a nice and simple puzzle game, akin to Puyo Puyo.

I agree. TofC is a great game and did a good job with it. Been trying to get the AES version for a while!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Finally, one of their games with some backgrounds to look at. I generally can't afford their games, but I appreciate this huge improvement. I especially appreciate the massive size of the cart too.

Ship looks a bit bigger than I'd like, but it moves at a good speed. The side scrollers often move too slowly for my tastes (mostly the r-type themed ones).

I'm impressed as well with Razion! This game has so much to offer and looks amazing!

Anthony...

...oh, just damn you for showing me this. That part where the terminator looks at me and jumps into the shooting plane got me.

I'm going to have to talk to the wife on this one. I've never spent more than $75 on a video game before, but this one... $550 doesn't sound *too* bad. Maybe.

Music is some of the better I've heard in a shooter as well.

...damn it...

They should be doing a Dreamcast release for the game in the future. If you would like to wait and save money on Razion. This is the best route ;-) . They mention that its not going to be for the NGCD. I'm going to wait for the AES LE version for the time being!

NGDEVTEAM is suppose to come out with an Ikari Warriors type game in the future. They probably made this game to help build up funds to have the proper resources to make it!

Anthony...